AuthorTopic: gamemaker project  (Read 25827 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: gamemaker project

Reply #40 on: October 03, 2007, 12:07:27 am
I just think that the trees are to lined-up, too tiled and not sexy at all.

:| Boring opinion, but it's mine and it is what it is.

A /\-cone form would seriously enhance these pines.
' _ '

Offline MoD

• mnky
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 03, 2007, 03:21:24 am
One thing I'd like to ask is: What kind of trees had bare stretches of trunk between large leafy areas? I've never seen any like that and from an evolutionary standpoint it doesn't make too much sense. I guess it's possible though, if not logical; are you basing them off of a particular type of tree?

This is a nitpick and should be regarded as such. ;)

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 03, 2007, 05:06:50 am
I think you could probably fix it up if you just toned down the contrast in the trees... make them blend into the background more.

It's also possible a third layer of trees could help too. (One more that's far back) Then I think it'll make it look a lot more like a small forest back there. Like Jad said, they're pretty tile-y, and possibly because of that, I can see the sky behind them. Which doesn't really make sense.

I really think less overall contrast in the trees, and another layer to represent further trees would make this look cooler. :)

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #43 on: October 03, 2007, 07:05:09 am

I knew I recognized those trunks in the jungle part of your tiles ;)

I really love the jungle tiles so far, looking forward to the waterfall.
One thing I'm having a little trouble with is working out how the tiles work, as in, it's obvious which tiles are the ground, but can the main character say.. jump on top of the roofs of the houses etc?
and excuse me if I sound like a groupie, but gamemaker? I think you could find a very competent C++ coder or something, maybe even NDS homebrew ;D?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #44 on: October 03, 2007, 01:09:11 pm
One thing I'd like to ask is: What kind of trees had bare stretches of trunk between large leafy areas? I've never seen any like that and from an evolutionary standpoint it doesn't make too much sense. I guess it's possible though, if not logical; are you basing them off of a particular type of tree?

The word STYLE springs to mind...  ::)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: October 03, 2007, 07:09:56 pm
I would _love_ to see this turn into an NDS Homebrew! But gamemaker can get the job done. There are games that shine with gamemaker, you just have to be knowledgeable.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:57 pm

The word STYLE springs to mind...  ::)
The words 'repeating the same two tiles on top of each other with a stick as only gridbreaker is not at all as sexy as, well, _everything else_' also spring to mind.
' _ '

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #47 on: October 03, 2007, 08:23:21 pm
touche
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #48 on: October 04, 2007, 05:07:43 am
I don't think the trees are too bad, I remember seeing lots of trees like that when I used to help chop down xmas trees, they were probably diseased or something.. but whatever :)
bonsai trees also have exposed segments of the trunks, that is of course due to the pruning.. but it may be the same for the viking's village?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: October 04, 2007, 10:10:42 am
thanks for the comments.

hehe its a game, so i dont think its a problem, if you wont be able to find the same type of trees anywhere in real life. Valkyries aren't real either, but that didn't stop me from including them ;)

jad:
sure a real cone shaped tree would be better, but since im doing the whole game by myself, i need to make sure i can actually finish the game, so if i have to simplify some of the elements, so be it. i would love for everything to look perfect, but that would mean i would only have a couple of environments and even though that would look great at first, you'll soon grow tired of seeing the same stuff over and over again.

TakaM :
yeah im lazy, so im reusing old graphics :)

yeah you can run around on the roof of the houses and on the dragon heads

if i could find someone who is really good and interested in programming it, sure, but you can still do some pretty cool stuff in gamemaker ;)

Adarias:
i totally disagree with that, left side is pretty much 1 single color, except for the railing(which will not always be there) that covers up a little bit of the character, i have no problem seeing the character.
i appreciate your comments, but i don't agree ;)

its a work in progress though, so everything could change.