AuthorTopic: gamemaker project  (Read 25816 times)

Offline Blackbeltdude

• View Profile

Re: gamemaker project

Reply #30 on: September 29, 2007, 10:33:44 pm
I really like the simple clean look everything has. It's pretty cool. Aside from what everyone else has pointed out though, I'd wonder how the houses would be if they looked a little older... like maybe a crack here or there, or some brick could be showing or something. Just something to give it more character.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 01:23:09 pm
Blackbeltdude:
yeah i might add some more details on the houses, but I'm afraid of adding too much detail, because that means i need to have the same amount everywhere else and i kind of like the flat look some of the elements has.
i already think the shield on the first house look out of place.

heres a slightly altered version:

(don't worry about the background not tiling and the turquoise)

and a new environment I've just started on.

Offline philjones

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 01:55:45 pm
The background trees are still fighting pretty hard against the sprite.

The large striped columns in the new environment, should they not fade to a colder colour?  That brown is duller than the red, but still fairly warm.

And... jpgs?

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 02:55:51 pm
Love the direction this is heading. I prefer the yellow-green trees to the newest ones. The cool colored ones tend to fade into the background more (clearer priority), but the warmer ones fit more with the entire scene. The sprite is hard to distinguish against both versions, but this has less to do with color and more to do with the contrast of the shades. In the mid-ground trees, the difference between the lightest shade and darkest is much higher (and in close proximity) than most of the dark/light shades in the player sprite (with the exception of the black around the leg armor). I hope this makes sense and is helpful. Keep up the good work!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 01, 2007, 10:22:29 pm
alright, it's getting better, but here's the plain and simple dealleo:  The eye simplifies things into regions by color, value, and saturation (and detail level too, though i dont know how to filter that easily).

Do any of those clearly show the regions you'ld like them to?

also, the white clouds and white houses are speaking to each other, which places the trees on top of the houses.  it's very confusing visually.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 08:56:54 am
philjones
And... jpgs?
jpgs are perfectly fine for what they are meant to be used for here, which is looking at them.

big brother:
i agree, the previous trees has a nicer color.
the problem is the contrast, i might just need to slightly adjust that.

Adarias:
value looks fine to me, obviously i need to tweak it a bit, but dont forget that this is a static image and that the trees in the bg will move at a different speed, then the foreground and also that the character will be animated.
but yeah, like i mentioned, i need to look at the contrast on the trees.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 10:15:27 am
In Phil's defense:
First off, thats all pixel art is(is looking at it) and second off, it's better to save it as gif/png not just because it's better to save with pixel art, it also tends to be a smaller size. Er, my bad.

Kenneth:
God I love your work, it's simple and clean, the only thing thats bothering me is there's not much of a transition from those two areas in the second pic(The new environment you're starting on).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:04:45 am by bengoshia »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 10:45:47 am
In Ken's defense:
Uh no, gif/png is NOT smaller than jpg, and those images are pretty big plus saved at 100% quality so the compression is minimal. In general I am not a fan of jpg for pixelart but I think for big mockups like this it's fine.

Looking good, tho I hope you really get to make this game :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 11:40:26 am
bengoshia:
if i had made a character and you wanted to check how many colors i had used, then yes png or gif would be the formats to save it in.
but this is a huge image that doesn't need to be inspected that closely. if you really want to though, then check the previous images i've posted, they are all png or gif.
the images weren't meant to be posted here, i just though "whatever.. i might as well" thats why they are jpgs, i didn't mention that when i posted, because i really think its a non issue.
i totally agree, you shouldn't save you images as jpg's, but it was either posting the images, which were 100% quality, so you cant tell they really are jpgs, unless you zoom in 10x or right click the image, or not posting the images at all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 11:50:38 am by Kennethfejer »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 01:49:54 pm
i still feel that there is major conflict with visual planes and that the character can never be quickly identified, even when the screen is cut down to 320x240, but if you think you can see what you need to, i suppose that it's no longer my business.

the righthand portion of the new screen is very successful, the cool colors and simple shapes will pop out the character nicely. 

the left hand side has major issues because it has real contrast so the character cannot really be detected from the pattern, and the railing covers up the defining red tunic - your best locater - only to replace it with a color that the hair can blend in with!  also, it doesn't look like you're doing anything to separate the backdrop from the platform, which is confusing as anything.

to be honest i just don't get it - your other mockups do everything so well.  Here, the pieces are great when pulled apart, but together it's a visual catastrophe.  I'm not just trying to rag on you here either - these pieces are REALLY HURTING.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.