AuthorTopic: gamemaker project  (Read 26013 times)

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Re: gamemaker project

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 12:57:15 am
Hey, I'm totally digging this thread! In regards to the newest shot, the big wooden dragon looks a little washed out, like its lacking some strong shadow. I mean, compare it to the sprite and you can notice it pretty readily. I say add stronger shadows and brighten and desaturate a tiny bit the highlight.

That is what you do to seperate the character from the background <_<
Looks good Kenneth, I hope it's going to come together.  Are you programming, or do you have a team of some sort...?

Offline Luzeke

• I draw, therefore I ink.
    • View Profile
    • inkBot

Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 05:21:54 am
I like the details of the wooden dragon.

I'm curious about those small shiny... things to the right. Are they supposed to move about a little, or are they static?

I noticed this mockup is slightly smaller than the others.

Awesome as always!  ;D

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 01:05:30 pm
the new screen looks really great. only thing that seems a bit strange is that it seems more hazy than the other one due to less contrast. so if this effect wasn't intentional you could add some more depth by using one darker shade:

pretty much a stylistic choice though. looking forward to see more from this game (especially character animations) :)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 04:24:50 pm
Hey, I'm totally digging this thread! In regards to the newest shot, the big wooden dragon looks a little washed out, like its lacking some strong shadow. I mean, compare it to the sprite and you can notice it pretty readily. I say add stronger shadows and brighten and desaturate a tiny bit the highlight.

That is what you do to seperate the character from the background <_<

True, but compare the third mockup to the previous two. The first 2 have higher contrast backgrounds, similar in contrast to the sprite, and I think the sprite stands out just fine in those shots.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 10, 2007, 11:14:35 pm
Yes, I agree about there being a need for a little more contrast.

There are other ways, see, of creating focal points in an image.

There is value differences (parts being lighter/darker than other parts stand out), which has been used in these screens to good effect

Sharpness differences (god, I feel like I'm ripping off Arne's tutorial here), where something sharp stands out among blurry things, quite natural, actually, it's what the human eye does when focusing.

Color differences, of course, something that's also used here, since the girl in the pictures is the only thing in the image which has a pure red. That makes her stand out.

But there are also geometry differences. If you notice, the backgrounds are, and I don't know if that's intentional or not, mostly composed out of shapes that are either circular or square. The cacti are all circular and nice, while the viking-like environments have a lot of rectangles in them.

That makes the heroine stand out a great deal, since she is far more advanced in shape than those simple geometrical shapes, and thus, she attracts the eye in a good way.

And because of that, I think that even if she and the background had identical values, the design of the environment would still have a beneficial effect on her readability.

Just saying why darkening the dark tones on the lates screens wouldn't do a lot of harm. Heh.
' _ '

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 29, 2007, 06:52:11 pm
haven't had much time for this project lately, but i managed to do a bit of work on it today, so i though i would post a small update.
thanks to everyone who has commented so far :)

viking village:

quick note, theres a few stray pixel here and there, don't worry about those, i'm still optimizing the tiles.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 29, 2007, 07:49:45 pm
I've really liked what you've done with this for a long time, but those trees really stand out to me (the new ones). They're SO cool, and really unique too.

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 29, 2007, 07:58:11 pm
yes, it's looking fantastic.. hope we get to play it soon...  :-*

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 29, 2007, 08:26:51 pm
hmm......

those trees manage to be complementary, but not complimenting.  The detail is very cool but it completely dominates the foreground objects, and even the character gets difficult to read against them.  cool them down and reduce the value contrast and detail level i think, or else increase the detail level of the foreground, there's just too much competition and the background is WINNING IT!!! (which should never happen).
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 29, 2007, 08:55:20 pm
Adarias:
totally agree, will be changing the color scheme of the trees.