AuthorTopic: gamemaker project  (Read 26037 times)

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

gamemaker project

on: June 28, 2007, 07:02:58 pm
playing around with some environments for a game im currently working on.
thought i would post them here, to get some feedback and to make sure i dont give up half way, because im too lazy.

desert :

village(wip) :

needs a lot of work still.

oh and before i get the "oh my god! a gradient sky!!! :crazy:" replies, let me just say that its not the final one ;)

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Re: gamemaker project

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 07:26:37 pm
Because you say it's "wip" there isn't much to say imho, the viking-like heads are just great as well as the color choices. Exect the purple flower on top of the cacti are too saturated maybe? Just looking forward to the final scenes (and game).

On other thing maybe: Your main character is a girl, but it's not absolutely clear in 100% (for me atleast, in 200% it is). Maybe in the idle animation the boobs should bounce a bit?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 07:37:16 pm
Actually I very much like the girl as she is. Who says game chicks need to reek of a femininity that most real females don't even have.

I find the depth of the desert difficult to determine, since the cacti in the foreground are the same size as those in the background, and the flower atop the giant cactus is the same size as both the flowers atop the foreground and background cacti. If the foreground-sized cacti in the background are as giant as the big cactus in the foreground, shouldn't those flowers be relatively smaller?

I like the house.

I think the distant background in both images (the layer right before the cloud-gradient) seems a bit too pale, but that, I suppose, is IMHO.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:40:41 pm
In the desert one you could add more variety of cactus, not just change the size, the same goes for the trees in the village one. Apart from that this looks really good, you should explain use what are those orange boxes in the village.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 08:36:34 pm
You always come up with such simple designs that work so well. I really hate you for it, because it's something I can never manage.
The sand dunes in the midground look very flat, and as such don't give a good sense of depth. I agree with the comment about desaturating the flowers.

The village is looking very nice so far. Some of those heads have to shoot fireballs out of their mouths.

Will you be using the wings be purely aesthetic, or will you use them to allow for short periods of flying or maybe to perform a double jump?

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 11:55:08 pm
Please do not include boob bounce in the final idle stance. If you think about what distance one pixel would be if you sized it up, her boobs would have to bouce around a lot. Subpixel animation could manage that, but I dunno.

:\ I agree with xion, why slam femininity (and sexual, at that) in her face that most normal girl don't even have? Plus, maybe she's a tomboy.

And I like tomboys <3

Regarding the desert picture, one more parallax layer with the same one-color style in front of the one that already is there would bring everything together nicely. Or so I think.

Regarding the wings, a series of double-jumps in decreasing strength would rock. Each extra-jump being a wing-flap. And then a power-up or special move that gives all flaps equal strength (with the result that she becomes able to fly :])

... Would be cool. > _>
' _ '

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 12:06:04 am
what is subpixel animation?

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 12:18:53 am
what is subpixel animation?

In a few words, moving things a smaller distance than one pixel.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 01:58:13 am
On the dragon heads, the shading on the neck makes it look flat, and I agree with Xion, the distant background needs to be a bit darker so it won't mix with the background.

Love the colors, and it's looking like a rad style.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 10:47:14 am
awesome stuff as per usual.

heres a quick very crude edit on that cactus :