AuthorTopic: Rick the butt worm [WIP]  (Read 2722 times)

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Rick the butt worm [WIP]

on: June 26, 2007, 04:32:53 pm
A character that i came up with, his name is Rick the butt worm. And from the name, you guessed it. He lives in your butt.

Going to turn this concept into a game (possibly) and i just want to improve my pixeling :D

Just the line work of Rick himself, loads of C&C needed, mabye not at this point, as i dont have much  :yell: but i will do

Here is the concept/drawing that i made.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Rick the butt worm [WIP]

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:36:05 pm
Please spend more than 20 seconds in your art before posting it here.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:52:28 pm
There's very little for us to crit but here goes:
In a game, 1 pixel thick arms won't read well, and there is very little to suggest he is a worm.
The square ending to his body looks strange, and at the moment he looks more like a cigarette than anything else.
Originally I thought you were referring to a cigarette butt.

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:12:35 pm
i see what you mean by him looking like a cigarette  >:( :crazy:
here is an edit i did before i saw comments, i will change soon tho.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 12:17:58 am
The shading makes it looked embossed, as though he is flat on the sides.

What you'd want is to make him look soft and cylindrical, make it look like he takes up space.

Same with the hair, the whole thing just looks flat.

I was making an edit, but found that the original lineart is a mess to work with.

So I ended up making my own rushed version.

Crits:
-Tip: I find that it's easier to work with blocks of color and then outlining it later rather than starting with a lineart.
-Shading varies between different things. A piece of paper is shaded differently from a sphere or a cylinder. It would help if you saw things as different shapes; this will help you imagine how he would be shaded. The way you shaded him makes him look like paper. Imagine where all the shadows would fall. In your version, the nose would cast a shadow on his upper lip. And not everything should be highlighted, just add highlights to the parts you think would reflect light most.
-For edges, like the hair in my version (I hope it's a mohawk, I thought it was a mohawk on yours :S) there is no gradual change from light to dark, the face away from the lightsource is immediately all dark, and the one facing the light is all mostly the light shades. Think of a cube.
-It is unconventional (and not reccommended) to use pure blacks and pure whites, as these colors are usually used as transparency. In place of black, use a darker version of the object you are outlining, and in place of white, use a very light version.
-If you are using MSPaint (which is what I use also), try double clicking a color; try playing not only with the Luminosity, but the saturation and hue values. Different shades have different hue, saturation, and luminosity values. ;D
-Before trying dithering, try to familiarize yourself with shading first, dithering is a more advanced concept anyway. :D

Don't be deterred by the criticisms, use them to improve. :)

Hope to see an edit from you.:)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.