AuthorTopic: Bibi the Fueler. UPDATE*  (Read 8106 times)

Offline RobG

• draw or die
    • View Profile
    • Blujarr

Bibi the Fueler. UPDATE*

on: June 26, 2007, 03:58:07 pm
Hey guys! New to this place, i'm a painter all the way but i found myself doing some pixel arts these days so i thought id join up here.

Heres some early sprite development for a personal project.

These are my first batch of pixel arts i've ever done.

My friend ptoing told me about the problems with the last ones so i thought i might try again with it.(wip),

but i'm still having problems, got any advice?

Also heres some concept art for the character if your interested - 1  2

That is all.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 12:48:49 am by RobG »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Bibi the Fueler.

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:12:25 pm
the rightmost animation isn't clear for me. Is she trying to stop after a dash ? if so, why are there "speed lines" just when she stops rather than when she dashes?

or maybe she's taking a blast ?

it also looks like she's wearing a cape rather than having long hairs in stand/run/shoot sequences ...

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:16:17 pm
I like the concept art of her butt...

As for the animation, I think it's using too many static copy-paste parts. Definitely smoother on the later version though. Light-boarding and making proper key frames should help, but I really don't know much about animation.

The hair on the first versions was too close in hue and value I think, this is better on the later version.

I'm not sure about the treatment of the deltoid on the later version. There's a highlight bouncing on her elbow too. Is that cement boots she's wearing?

It could be interesting to flatten the values on the leg that's further away. There's some grit moving on her Gastrocnemius.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:17:15 pm
What is it that she's carrying exactly?
A giant vibrator?

The only thing I'm not digging is that some parts of the animation don't have an outline.
Where as everything else in the animation does.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:10 pm
Holy shit, it's RobG. I'm rather liking the new WIP (white background), but I think more saturation and contrast would be nice, especially considering your usual painting style.

I'm curious, what sort of project would this be for? Platformer?

Souly: I think the thread title may clue you in on that. ;)

Offline im9today

• xtrwsqgcxct
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:40:25 pm
I like the design a lot, it is simple but very memorable. From looking through your site I know that you work very well with other mediums, so I don't understand why you didn't carry over some of those techniques you have applied on those to your new pixel work. An example would be the hair in the concepts compared to the hair in the pixel work; it loses everything that made it lovely, save the nice color choices.

Your newest version is a vast improvement, though you lost some of the more striking colors, I would recommend lighter outlines on areas that are better lit (e.g. the thigh area, parts of the hair, the calf on the far leg) and using darker shades on the far leg to add volume, which is sort of going on at the moment but could probably use a bit more. Also, where is the other arm? Or is that going to be a separate piece or some such?

Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 04:48:37 pm
I'd have her forearm inserted into the weapon and running parallel to it, with her upper arm protruding out at a right angle to it.
Give it a thicker, leather strap slung round her shoulder to brace the weight. The fishing wire you have at the moment looks like it should cut her in half.

On the new animation/version, her whole body is moving except for her feet. Looks very strange.
Raise her heels when she bounces up.

I also think it looks too much like you've just coloured inside the lines, and I'm not a fan of the washed out colours. Especially on a game sprite that needs to compete with a background.

Even so, the new version looks much nicer, and I'm eager to see you take it further still.

Offline Malor

• Masquerading as a black bear.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 04:51:23 pm
Awesome job! I would add a wee bit of movement in the ffet, for the idle animation, and the idle animation with board board, her breats seem to bounce a little too much.

P.S.-Awesome gallery. ;D
Quote from: Adarias
I'm not going to pretend this is a small task either; certainly none of us here can claim to have accomplished it.  it's the realm of masters.  still, it's what we all have to try for.

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 04:57:43 pm
I like the concept art of her butt...
The hair on the first versions was too close in hue and value I think, this is better on the later version.
:D
I think the hair needs a little more contrast on the latest version.

RobG, why didn't you pixel her in that sweet two piece? And shouldn't her hair be trailing behind during that skidding animation?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 05:09:39 pm
welcome rob!  those concepts are gorgeous, and these sprites really do not live up to them.  You've got a lot of jagged edges in both your outlines and your shading, the hair is not faithful to the designs (maybe put those swirlies at the end back in), the skin is shaded more harshly than the giant refueling device (which is metallic i assume?), and the legs in the run animation overlap quite a bit!

You have some crazy talent, I would revisit these with a few things in mind:

1 - Planes/depth/contrast - in pixel art it can help if you use darker colors to help cue the depth on your character.  E.g. make limbs and accessories that are away from the camera darker than the parts closest to the camera.  This is not like a "rule" or anything, I just think it could help this particular sprite to read a little better!  A lot of the street fighter games do this to great effect.

2 - Cleanliness - take the extra time to clean up your lines and smooth out your shading - make every pixel count!

3 - Don't be afraid to animate whole new frames, instead of just sliding bits and pieces around.  In fact, I'd block out your animation frames first in lines, then in solid colors, and then keep on tweaking that super-simple version of your motion until you're happy with it.  THEN go back and start adding details!

Again, welcome to the boards, congrats on your killer 2d skills, and I look forward to seeing your updates!