AuthorTopic: [WIP] (First pixel art!) Some sort of eyeball monster  (Read 3049 times)

Offline rezz

• how appealing
    • View Profile
I've tried to pixel things before but I've never gotten around to finishing anything because nothing ever turned out the way I wanted it.
So I decided, after quite a while, to join Pixelation in hopes of getting something done, and improving at least somewhat.

So here's my first pixel art. I've done the lineart and come up with a basic skintone for this little guy, and I've quickly scribbled in a light source directly in front of him and done a bit of shading. But I'm not really sure where to go next. Should I focus on shading? If so, what's the next move in terms of shading? Or should I begin to focus on details? I'd like to do some folds of skin above the eyeball to give the effect of a faux-human eyelid, but I'm not really sure how to go about that either.

Oh, and the reason for the light source position is that he's standing in front of a torch which I'll be drawing along with the rest of the backdrop as soon as I finish the monster.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 06:31:29 pm by rezz »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] (First pixel art!) Some sort of eyeball monster

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:15:33 pm
Howdy. First I would suggest refining the lineart a bit more. The lines are wobbly, with some sharp edges/corners (for instance, its 'hand'). You might want to add some more interest to its design, or not. Check out the lineart thread in the challenges board to see what kind of details you can achieve just in your basic lineart.

Once that's done, you want to focus on shading. Don't get bogged down in texture or colours or anything else until you've got your basic form defined in the shading. Then, once shaded, begin adding texture, fiddling with colours, etc.

Offline rezz

• how appealing
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:17:13 pm
Thank you! I'm still not sure about he lineart; for one thing, at the bottom, I don't know if I want it to be perfectly round or have a few curves. I also want him to have some sort of posture instead of just standing completely straight up, but I definitely see what you mean now that I look at it again.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:30:08 pm
I made a quick example of how it could look better(Very quick, notice the lines):
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:41:11 pm by bengoshia »

Offline rezz

• how appealing
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 04:47:33 pm
Oh man, that's 50x better than what I had. One thing is that I was trying not to give him a face, but rather a large eyeball that just covers his entire facial region. Mind if I use the colors/posture?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 04:50:32 pm
Yeah, you can, also look at how I did my colors, notice its not just a difference in value(brightness), the saturation and hue have changed with it.