AuthorTopic: one of my largest pixel character  (Read 4365 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

one of my largest pixel character

on: June 26, 2007, 06:19:07 am

This is a small character i sketched a few years ago and that i then tried to "pixelate" from the scans. Some days i find him cute, some days i find him a mistake.

C&C ?

(scans are here if you wish to compare)

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: one of my largest pixel character

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:28:04 am
Ah dude, this doesn't look like pixel art to me. Looks like photoshop airbrush work. Make sure you understand what makes pixel art what it is. Check out here and here.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 07:02:49 am
I'm frankly tired that it is such an important issue wether things are pixel or not.

EDIT: saw your sketches.

hm. I think the character transformed a little with the coloring process. for example the hair in the sketch makes me think of DBZ, while the colored guy has a little of Elvis hair in there.His face is better balanced in the painted over pic, and is a lot,lot rounder, looks a lot less anime but in this case I think it's a good thing.

were you aware you made all this changes? was it intentional?

I think you're off in a good start, there's good sense of volume, I like the way you darkened the teeth, there's conscience of the different hues that can be used to shade things, that blue tint looks good and the smile is well emphasized with the shadows you added.The scarf....or whatever that garment above his shoulders also has interesting hues.

there is some shy stabs at actual pixel by pixel work, with the eyes, with the ocasional linework at the eyebrows, fist and ears to help diferentiate things.

you defintively could use some work in GraphicsGale or Promotion to better understand shading though, it seems as if you rely on the airbrush/paintbrush tool of photoshop to create the depth, this is specially visible in the  shirt which has a lot of random brushings that dont really say much, and the fist which has a lot of unclean pixels lingering around.

What do you want to learn pixelart for? do you want to animate? make tiles? perhaps portraits?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:05:37 am by Conceit »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:27:19 am
Well, i am indeed aware of those changes you mention (eyes style and hair, mostly). They weren't actually intentional, merely a side-effect of my lack of mastering of The Gimp tools.

And now that you point it out, i remind i indeed used brushes rather than true pixel art .. probably that's why the character sometimes looks odd: i'm lacking a common style when drawing it ...
Thanks for your comment ... I'll try to redo it "the way of the pixel" when i'll have a bit more spare time, and will come back for more C&C.

PS: yes, i'm a linux guy who had no idea of what graphic gale was 2 weeks ago, and who still has no idea of what could be a good pixel editor in Linux.

What do you want to learn pixelart for? do you want to animate? make tiles? perhaps portraits?
To have sprites and blocks for my console games. mockups on my blog may give you a better idea of what kind of stuff i usually do. The character here was an attempt to break the typical 32x32 canvas i work with ... but tools weren't appropriated, obviously.

I'd like to improve my skills on larger area pixel-painting too, to be able to build good-looking backgrounds as well (the kind of thing in the thread "a mockup is growing / a boy is running"). I'm mostly a self-learner so far ...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 07:34:03 am by PypeBros »

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:42:50 pm
I'm frankly tired that it is such an important issue wether things are pixel or not.

Well, I'm not sure how else to say this, but in case you guys didn't notice, this is a pixel art forum.  In fact, the name of the category where this was posted...is pixel art.  So yeah, it does matter if the piece posted is pixel art or not.  "Don't use brushes" is a valid critique on this piece.  "Remake using pixel art techniques" is also a valid critique.  There is little concern shown for ramps, color conservation, AA, dithering, or any legitimate pixel art techniques here, all of which would benefit the piece greatly, especially for use in a game.  It will make the piece easier to animate, and it will look more clear and crisp in the game world.

The best thing you can do is at least TRY to render the character as pixel art, so that we can begin to give you pointers, and help you get started on this oh-so-long path to pixel greatness!

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:36:38 pm
[snip]
...and who still has no idea of what could be a good pixel editor in Linux...
[/snip]
I'd recommend Kolour Paint.  It looks like an MSPaint clone, but it actually has useful tools, keyboard shortcuts, pallette management, etc.  Not nearly as many features as Pro Motion, but it works quite well and is probably more appropriate for the medum than the GIMP.  Good luck!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.