AuthorTopic: Space ship for a Tutorial  (Read 12630 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Space ship for a Tutorial

on: November 03, 2005, 03:57:01 pm
Hey, I'm a administrator of the portuguese gamedev forum, and I made a video tutorial.

where's the result.
I'm thinking of narrating it in english to publish it for the non-portuguese people.

heres what the tutorial ended with

tell me what you think

take care,

Kazuya Mochu
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Space ship for a Tutorial

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 05:19:20 pm
Mmm...The body looks nice, but the red wings and nose don't seem to match the style...they're way plain...er...
It looks very nice, just unfinished - yeah, that's the word.
Perhaps a 1px hilight going down the ridge of the nose to give it some dimension...Maybe add some shading/sheen to the red wings...
Also, the wings are confusing me: are the light ones above the dark ones, like an X, or are they on the same plane...When I look at it now I can see it being both ways.

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 07:15:40 pm
Its good to see other portuguese people here :)

Its too simetric, and I dont like simetric stuff ;D Its basically what xion night said, add some more shading and highlightings. It would also be good to see it over a bg.

I didnt know there was a portuguese gamedev forum :-[ where is it?

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 10:46:05 am
The cockpit window is nice. I'm kind of concerned with the lack of ship material at the back of the cockpit. A smaller window might be the solution. I think it goes without saying that most shooter ships require symmetry, so I don't know about Filax's comment. Assume most of the levels would be set in space, since you're using those dark selout colors. They might be too dark, though. The rear edge of the frontal wings use a slightly irregular line shape, but it's not a big deal. I would do the same thing, but consider using selout more thoroughly around the ship. The grill detailing is really nice. Parts of the ship feel too 2 dimensional, such as parts of the nose, or the darker area between the nose and the cockpit. You should use lighter colors on the darkest parts of the ship, and then darken around the sides to create the 3D feel. I really like your color scheme. Maybe you could add some 'paint' details to the front of the ship? If parts of the front of the ship had little red knobs, could even be 1 or 2 pixels big, that might help since the ship could use a bit more unity of color and contrast, which either means making the ship more monotone, or dispersing colors in the scheme somewhat regularly around the ship.

I once did a ship design tutorial also, so maybe this could be of some use.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:53:01 am
well... i kind of like the simetry... makes it look balanced.

I tryed putting some hilights on the wings, but they came out looking tilted up. and they are plain horizontal. the stabilizers are also horisontal, only placed a bit down.

the main stress was that I did this for a tutorial. a video tutorial, and it was real time, so I couldn't put too much detail in.

so, I might go and add what you guys are talking about and them latter post it on the forum's thread as a "take it where you like" example.

for the colors, i made a background, and filled it up with the colors that I tought would be the background. some dirt, some grass, little watter and alot of space. so then I aplied and "average" filter and got this dark bluish green, that was the sum of all colors, in their diferent percentages.

well,

thanks for the comments and critics.

Kaz
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 01:51:05 pm
Okay, if you found the average, then that should be considered the alpha zero color, or 'transparency' to place in the background as you work, but your selout color would need to be both a color which leans towards the lightest background color present, if not lighter than it. If the color for selout happens to be darker than the average, then you'll see those spots on the edges when the ship flies over half of your background data, assumably. Just be mindful of how the population of a particular color is distributed. Also, any selout color you use should be a color half way between this average you've found and the part on the ship which you are trying to selout. So a muddy dark red would be the selout color for the wings, for example. It literally is anti aliasing to a least apparent value.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 05:22:15 am
 Nice ship Kazuya :D. Good to see you again. How's Panda_guy doing?

Offline Silver

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 05:21:02 pm
Nice design Kazuya .
It looks Fantastic , the wings could be more Detailed Or Shiny ?
Nice design overall
Good luck

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #8 on: November 05, 2005, 07:33:16 pm
hey marco...I tried to D/L the video tut, but my pc's just too fucked up right now to play it =/

I like the ship though, it has kind of a bit biological quality about it, with sort of a snout and a butterfly wings, even thoug all of it's parts are mechanical, I think that's how cool crafts should look like, it's like Metalgear when it roars like an animal, everybody knows that wouldnt happen but it just adds personality to the mech and makes it interesting

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #9 on: November 06, 2005, 01:35:10 am
wow - nice ship.... and nice video too.  I dont have much to say about the ship since people already discussed it quite well, but I really liked how in the video you went from drawing/conceptual work all the way to the actual nitty-gritty- pixel art.  The video was very long (in fact, I dont think i've ever seen a video tutorial that was an hour long before) and it maybe would have been worth my time if it were in english since i dont speak portuguese.  dispite that, i did understand quite a bit of what you were talking about from hearing an occasional english word and then observing what you were doing when you said it.

all-in-all nice work
« Last Edit: November 06, 2005, 01:36:58 am by Indigo »