AuthorTopic: skeleton character walking  (Read 13724 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: skeleton character walking

Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 04:27:44 am
haha i'm loving this
i usually find it easier to animate starting from the body motion up and down, simultaneously with the legs motion, and then do the rest
apparently you're comfortable with doing it the complete other way around
keep the head facing straight, when we walk only our shoulders and hips rotate back and forth, our head stays facing the way we're going, or we get headaches from too much swingin

Offline c0th

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 06:07:24 am
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:43:17 pm by c0th »

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 12:48:55 pm
In my opinion, this is not the easiest way to animate a walk, because for each move of say a leg, the rest of the body moves to, so rather than animating parts, you should draw keyframes, and then fill in the frames between. So if you're aiming for a "correct" walk, you're making it hard for you by doing it piece by piece, since you'll need to eventually puzzle together it with corresponding movements in chest, arms, neck, head etc.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 01:18:24 pm
In my opinion, this is not the easiest way to animate a walk, because for each move of say a leg, the rest of the body moves to, so rather than animating parts, you should draw keyframes, and then fill in the frames between. So if you're aiming for a "correct" walk, you're making it hard for you by doing it piece by piece, since you'll need to eventually puzzle together it with corresponding movements in chest, arms, neck, head etc.

Exactly my thoughts.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 01:29:22 pm
maybe it's just part of your design, but as i watch it walking, it seems too much "wandering around" for a skeleton...
I'd have expected a skeleton to have a more hesitating walk ... but well, i wouldn't have expected a skeleton to wear a scar either ...

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 01:45:49 pm
The animation is nice and fluid, but he's leaning impossibly far back - it throws him off balance and "bothers" the eye when looking at it. I think you're trying to make him look silly or awkward, but there are ways to do that without breaking the laws of physics - study the way the Disney studios animate Goofy, for example, and you'll see what I mean.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline RosenCrantz

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 26, 2007, 01:58:06 pm
I lil' edit, but I have always the same problem : the head, hand I don't know how can I fix it

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #27 on: June 26, 2007, 04:10:24 pm
The reason for that problem is the way your animating.
Your animating each limb on it's own.

Instead you should have done a simple wireframe animation and then added the body details to it.
It's much easier to animate and make everything look right that way.

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #28 on: June 27, 2007, 06:14:23 am

haha I love this one.. if only his upper body would go up and down this would be priceless! :D
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Colonel Mustard

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: June 27, 2007, 09:19:11 am
What you need to consider with your walk cycle is the path of action. Each moving part has it's own path of action, some more similar to others, I've chosed to draw the curve of how the torso stays in a continuing curve, because that's what seems to be the big problem with your animation, the body stays in the same position all the time, because the legs just cycle round

Edited from http://www.idleworm.com/how/anm/02w/wlk01.gif

You can draw similar paths for hands, feet, head, and they will all differ depending on your characters personality and depending on the way he walks, sneaks, runs, etc.

Hope that helps some