AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42859 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #80 on: November 17, 2007, 03:41:04 pm
I just dont know where to go at this point.  Something about the ground and the buildings seem wrong.  Also, I am not sure how to go about getting the side windows to look right.  Do I follow the top or the bottom?  Thanks again!

Jack

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #81 on: November 17, 2007, 05:37:13 pm
Now the red lines illustrate windows
The dark blue line illustrates how the darker grey beam SHOULD've been going in this perspective.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #82 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:11 pm
Interesting Trevorius.  One thing, why is the blue line not straight but slightly offset from itself?  Also, Im trying to figure out how to make the ledges, etc pop out.  Thanks for the example.

Jack

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #83 on: November 18, 2007, 12:16:44 pm
I went from the corner of the building (going out from that front view) to the vanishing point, using a line tool.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:14 pm
Okay folks, here goes nothing.  This is what I have been working on for a bit.  I appriciate the site links, etc.  I even googled more for help.  It is still really hard working at this perspective.  Enjoy and feel free to correct me before its too late.  LOL.

One thing that concerns me with your picture (other than the dark grey beams, which TrevoriuS pointed out) is the red vertical lines on the left-hand side. They are regularly spaced in terms of 2D, but that makes them non-regular in 3D - the ones further away should appear closer together.
There is a useful 'trick' for seeing how this should work - draw a cross on the side of the wall between the corners. You'll see that the point of intersection is not half-way across in terms of pixel count; but it is half-way in 3D (this works because a straight line in 3D is always a straight line when drawn in perspective)
E.g:

Also, Im trying to figure out how to make the ledges, etc pop out.
Just think of them as more cuboids, which you render in the same way as the building itself. Like TreviouS did in his edit, draw lines starting from the vanishing point to make sure you get the directions right.
You might want to try sketching it on paper, so you can see the lines more clearly (if you end up with a lot of construction lines in lo-res pixel work, they tend to become rather messy and unreadable).

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #85 on: November 19, 2007, 04:24:27 pm
Its still not getting to me lol.  I dont know if I want to do this perspective anymore.  I kinda liked the original view I had.  I guess I would prefer 2 point perspective.  Which would be easier?  Thanks guys!

Jack

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #86 on: November 19, 2007, 05:30:15 pm
1 and 2 point perspective are really very similar from a technical viewpoint - if you're having trouble getting your head round 1-point, I doubt 2-point is going to be any easier for you.
But I suggest not trying to make a big, complex piece as your first attempt at perspective.
Instead of that, I would suggest that you practice drawing simple cubes in perspective (both 1 and 2 point) - really quick sketches without worrying about neatness, just to practice the rules. (Do both 1 and 2 point, to get a feel for how they're different.) You can always return to the big piece when you're more comfortable with the basics.
Oh, and look at photographs of buildings; look at the outlines and the way parallel lines behave in 3D; try copying them (by eye, not tracing) to get a feel for it.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: November 19, 2007, 06:42:23 pm
 ???  This thing is getting to kinda irritate me.  I just want to draw a WWII.  Perhaps I need to stay away from scenes with buildings at this point because it looks crappy when I do it.  I am currently working on a new size, its less then 300x300 this time.  More like 281x211.  Hopefully this works because I am getting more and more discouraged.  Cheers!

Jack

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #88 on: November 19, 2007, 08:54:52 pm
JackBauer24, I must say that your work is very inspiring.
Don't feel bad about what you're doing. You've got a lot to learn it seems but still you've managed to draw some pretty cool things.

Just keep on working and it will be great. It's easy to get discouraged but I think everyone on this board wants to help you and are not trying to put you down.
This is one of my favorite threads here because it shows a lot of development.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #89 on: November 19, 2007, 09:58:16 pm
Thanks for that Robotacon.  I will continue to work on it.  As a matter of fact I have something to show right now and here it is.  Enjoy!

One issue that bugs me is drawing grass.  You can see my attempt at the top.  Its enough to drive a guy nuts.  If anyone things that I should stop this and go back to the town scene, let me know.  Take care and have a great day.  Gotta work tonite and tomarrow nite.

Jack
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 10:01:13 pm by JackBauer24 »