AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42874 times)

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 07:04:28 pm
This scene looks like an underwater adventure. There is WAY too much blue in every shade, and not nearly enough saturation. Perhaps you have some issues with your monitor calibration?

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #71 on: November 15, 2007, 09:33:39 pm
I am curious as to whether I should bring this scene down to a smaller level.  Perhaps it should just be the Panzer IV and a simple backdrop.  I am trying to put a leash on some of my projects.  It has been my thinking that perhaps I have bitten off more then I can chew.  I will update soon.  Thank you.

Heres something I am tempted to finish up as a replacement piece.  I was thinking about eliminating the tanks and focusing on a squad of German troops going past a destroyed building.  Here is what I have so far:

Jack
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 05:56:29 am by JackBauer24 »

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: November 16, 2007, 06:07:33 am
Are u sure 2 point perspective wouldn't look better (ie u have a vanishing point for the lines that run perpendicular to the ones that are vanishing now)?

Also, move the lamp down, since it is closer to us than the builiding.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: November 16, 2007, 06:39:06 am
Im sorry, what do you mean exactly in terms of the lines?  I will fix the lamp though.  Thanks for posting!

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #74 on: November 16, 2007, 07:11:56 am
http://drawsketch.about.com/library/weekly/aa021603c.htm

Right now you have VP1 right. VP2 is an infinite distance to the right. So i suggest bring VP2 closer to the left so those second set of lines are not all horizontal. Don't have time to explain properly, if it doesn't make sense try reading a few tutorials. Otherwise I'm sure someone else can post :).

Note that how you have done it now is fine, you should only change it if u prefer how it looks with 2 point.

Another thing to watch out for: the top of the triangle for the roof should be directly in the middle of the length of the building. But that doesn't exactly translate to the exact iddle on the screen, it can be slightly to the left. I read that example in the animators handbook, maybe someone knows whether it applies in this situation? Even if it doens't, its too far to the right right now.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 07:17:38 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #75 on: November 16, 2007, 07:50:30 am
Ah ok,  I kinda wondered if you meant that.  Here is what I have come up with since the last WIP post.  Im still not happy with it due to the fact that you are seeing the roof from one angle and the guys are at another angle.  Which is correct?  Thanks!

Jack

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #76 on: November 16, 2007, 07:55:47 am
That picture i gave you was to just show how vanishing points work. Dont model your building off that exactly. That block was very low compared to the viewer. In the case of
a buliding which is taller than viewer, the previous version you had was better. Ie ground lines are \ but roof lines are / .

As for guys, guess you have point. Can you draw people in perspective? They can be broken into blocks.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: November 16, 2007, 06:09:15 pm
You seem to have ended up with too many parallel lines in your latest version - it looks closer to an orthographic projection than perspective.
I recommend drawing it with the construction lines you see in most explanations of two point perspective; that should help you see which lines go where.
Also, I suggest Googling for "two point perspective" - there should be loads of examples. e.g. http://www.ider.herts.ac.uk/school/courseware/graphics/two_point_perspective.html

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #78 on: November 17, 2007, 02:41:38 pm
Okay folks, here goes nothing.  This is what I have been working on for a bit.  I appriciate the site links, etc.  I even googled more for help.  It is still really hard working at this perspective.  Enjoy and feel free to correct me before its too late.  LOL.

Jack

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #79 on: November 17, 2007, 03:31:22 pm
Well you should try using a 3 pt perspective (this is 1 pt xD)

Further I think uou're doing failry allright.