AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42870 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 01:27:39 pm
Thanks for pointing that out.  I am working on it as we speak.  I think that I will lose the heavy waves for the sake of simplicity.  Thanks for your input.  An update will be coming soon.  Take care!

Jack

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 07:37:58 pm
Okidokey!  Heres an update for you guys.  I hope you all like it.  Still much to be done.

Jack

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:24 am
Went ahead and edited one of your guys:

:-\ I'm aware of some of the anatomical problems but I'm tired and I wanna go to bed. Anyway, instead of telling you all the obvious changes made, I'll tell you how you can use this on other objects. Okay so with the ambient lighting, try it only if you're good with it, I wasn't too good with it, so yeah.... look at how I did the colors, how I shaded, etc. Like stated before, there's some anatomical problems but I think it's pretty decently proportioned, so try to follow that as a guide for your proportions. Since the sprite is small, I suggest you don't attempt to put in eyes and lips like you have been, it's just too small. Remember: Contrast is your friend. Goodnight people, see you tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 09:00:04 am by bengoshia »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2007, 06:18:48 am
Hey guys, Jack here with a question.  I want to dirty up things in the scene.  What would be the easiest way to get the right effect?  If anyone has any tips, Im all ears!

Jack

Offline tocky

• doublepostokrates
    • View Profile
    • my blog

Re: easiest way to dirty things up.

Reply #44 on: August 11, 2007, 10:35:14 am
Easiest way to dirty it up is to change your colours.

Just as examples. I made them up quickly with lots of cheating in photoshop. If you want to recolour it for reals you should pick your colours manually, and you'll get results closer to whatever you have in mind. I also think you should trim down your pallete to somewhere around 20 colours. This piece really shouldn't need any more'n that.

For best results, though, there's always the hard way - which is to actually go through and put dirt on everything where it needs it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 02:09:46 pm by tocky »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: August 12, 2007, 09:25:48 pm
Ok guys, heres an update from me.  It still has some elements that are either not finished or non-existent at this point.  Its a project that will take some time to be completed.  I hope its progress regardless.  Enjoy!

Jack

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #46 on: August 12, 2007, 11:12:34 pm
here a re a lot of things in this pic that are flat and untexturised.  obviously you dont want to over textture stuff tothe point of it being a big mess, however i see a lot of surfaces that are just blank color.

also the tree looks very MS-Pain-Spray-Can...  it might not be, but it just looks very random pixelling, i think actually defining a few individual leaves would benefit this and give it more volume. 

all of the elements in this also seem to be high contrast and quite vibrant, it helps the foreground get lost in the background and is something that can easily be avoided with simple pallette changes.  less contrasting and desaturated more blueish hues will give stuff the appearance it is further into the distance, whereas the foreground is bold enough to stand its own.  just tone the bg.

i would also suggest putting clouds into google images.. they can be quite a hard element to pixel, if you are actually developing this as a real game, a quick photoshop cloud may be more aesthetically pleasing, however if it just a mockup i would certainly suggest looking at other artists clouds aswell as references.

keep at it!
 ;D

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: August 13, 2007, 12:03:39 am
Hey there Feron, thanks for the advise.  I can defiantly see where you are coming from.  The piece in question is more of a single image.  That is its not for a game or anything.  Just a scene from history as it were.  So are you saying that I should tone down the colors on the buildings that are further away?  Im not very good at distance variations lol.  I will continue to work on it and try to get things less flat.  Is the tank alright?  I tried to make it stand out more then before.  I take it that the buildings themselves need to be better textured.  Thanks again.

Jack

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: August 14, 2007, 03:58:33 am
Small edits:

The main thing you wanna do is recycle some colors and add depth to the objects, if you need some references, I grabbed some from Google(Should be easy enough for yourself to use google, so uh, get on it):
Some Bricks
Some Wood
Messed up Wall
Window
A Burning House
A Tree
Clouds
You might also wanna check out some pixel art of this stuff, see how it was done, etc.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:25:50 am by bengoshia »

Offline Mighty Pea

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 11:58:08 am
If anything, bringing your palette together a bit could make this a lot better instantly. Right now you've picked every object's 'natural' colour. What i mean by that (and i'm sure there's a generally accepted term for it that i'm not aware of) is that your bricks are orange, your sky is blue, your tank is brown and err.. i love you? (i'm sorry)
None of these things are affected by things like atmospheric hazing (also called atmospheric perspective, i believe), colour-tinting from the sun/sky, light reflecting off of one coloured surface onto another...
Take for instance the church off into the background: The roof is bright blue! Worse still, the house next to it has cyan windows, which would suggest there being a very, very bright light inside, especially considering how light it is outside.
It's commendable that you're taking the criticism to heart like you are, and that you're still working on this!