AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42883 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #30 on: July 02, 2007, 09:04:35 pm
Ok, if thats the case, will it work to have a slopped roof or is there no other way?  Right now I have it with straight on tiles, no slant.  I dont find it very interesting but if thats what makes the pic better, so be it. 

Jack

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #31 on: July 02, 2007, 09:33:00 pm
Don't mind the sloppy edit, just giving you an idea of how you could go from here:

I didn't fix everything, but what's there should give you some guidance for the rest of the scene.

Btw, I noticed your lighting is inconsistent throughout the scene. The roof tiles on the left building, the shadows from the window frames, suggest a light source coming from the upper right, while the lighting on the soldiers and the oil drum suggest lighting from the upper left.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: July 02, 2007, 09:50:00 pm
Yeah, you've nailed it right on the head.  Since then I have eliminated the angled roof, etc.  The roof windows are now straight on (Which seems right).  I want the light to be from the left (tank, barrel, soldiers...etc).  I will keep you posted.

Jack

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: July 03, 2007, 06:12:16 pm
Hey again guys, here is something I did just to see if I could do it.  Is this something that could be useful in terms of sprucing up the scene?  The building here is just a test though.  Thanks!

Jack

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 03, 2007, 07:45:27 pm
maybe some more realistic perspective?

(the car is out of perspective and the tank isnt really 100% in perspective neither but you get the idea I think)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: July 03, 2007, 07:49:40 pm
Wow, thats impressive.  Heres the problem though, is my piece so bad that in order for it to be better I need to totally change it all over?  I hope that I am not coming off as rude.  If I am, I am sorry.  Im in the midst of trying to add another side to the far right building.  Take care!

Jack

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: July 03, 2007, 08:52:51 pm
Jack, I would suggest doing the following:
Learn a bit of perspective, it helps alot in the long run
Learn a bit of art skills, it goes a long way, believe me (I would suggest Andrew Loomis' Fun With the Pencil: http://www.gfxartist.com/upload/features/tutorials/7643)
Make sure you know the basics of color theory, this will also help alot
Instead of working on the piece is whole, split it up, separately make the tank, soldiers, etc.
For your people, weapons and such, use reference, I recommend looking at images from Band of Brothers or Call of Duty 2
Look at other pieces of pixel art, look at some games aswell(Metal Slug would be good for you) look at how they're done
Remember: Practice makes perfect, if you dislike a piece, redo it again
Try to not get impatient, sometimes pixel art will take more time than you originally thought

If you want any help from me you can come IM me, I'll be on for about another half-hour and then later tonight(This is assuming you have an instant messenger of some sort).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:13:28 pm by bengoshia »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 04:27:58 pm
Ok fellows, here is a little update.  Im trying to do more to enhance the tank to make it look good.  Hope that you like it.  Its not set in stone so if you have any issues with the shading deficiencies, let me know.  Thanks!

Jack

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 05:42:18 pm
Ok folks, sorry about the delay.  I was working on this thing for awhile.  Its not done but I hope you find it better then before.  Enjoy!

Jack

Offline Niko

• Vb Programmer
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 06:20:35 pm
One thing that stands Out to me the most is the water. Its right on shore so their should not be so many waves. For the most part anyway. Espeacily since the water is being drained down into the sewers, so it should be streaming down into it. I do like the idea of the shading of the waves though.