AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42863 times)

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 10:34:35 am
Ok, heres the issue at hand, how do I achieve the proper prospective for the roof windows?  Is Turbo's idea the correct view or not?  I dont think it would be if all the buildings, tank, etc are viewed from the side. So wouldnt my original designs be someone correct?  Perhaps its just a matter of "anchoring" it down.  Thanks for the help and ideas. 

Jack

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 12:14:58 pm
Ok, heres the issue at hand, how do I achieve the proper prospective for the roof windows?  Is Turbo's idea the correct view or not?
It would be correct for the roof, but yes it would not work with the perspective of the rest of this piece. If you want to keep the perspective you need to change the roof, not the windows. The other roofs are correct but look very boring cause of this perspective you've chosen and their shading.
Actually I think that are the main problems with this piece: The perspective and shading (or lack of both) makes everything look flat. Why don't you add some real perspective where things have depth (I mean on z-axis)?

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 01:11:54 pm
I figured as much.  Seems that I should focus on one building, perfect it and then move on.  I want the perspective as given by the PzIV tank.  Any ideas on how to do that?  Thanks again guys!

Jack

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 01:40:40 pm
I want the perspective as given by the PzIV tank.
Here's the main problem: there is no perspective. On the tank, on the soldiers, on the buildings, there's zero perspective distortion, so everything looks like paper cutouts, or old-school movie set facades. And yet, things get smaller with distance, which only happens with perspective distortion. Overall, this gives a very odd sort of look, almost uncomfortable.

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 02:29:46 pm
Ok, I think you've nailed this thing on the head.  Now, in order to fix this mess, do I have to basically restart my whole project in order for things to look realistic?  Basically there must be a view that works from the side.  I dont really know how to do 3Dish stuff so Im all ears.  Thanks.

Jack
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 02:31:37 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 02:59:12 pm
I think it depends to some extent if you plan for this to be a one-off piece, or something that looks like it would work as a level from a side scroller, for example. The latter would be easier, so to speak, since, to be honest, lots of side scrollers either ignore or marginalise vanishing points in order to stay consistent. You could stick with the current method of not showing the sides of buildings, but maybe futz with faking a downward-pointing camera (ie, show a bit of the ground, show the top of the tank, the tops of buildings, etc). It might work. Or you could go with something akin to the roof on Turbo's edit (show one side of the buildings, back of tank, etc). Alternately you could do a bit of both.

Given the current composition, Taking Turbo's edit further would probably involve the least amount of work, as the downward camera would involve redoing most of the ground and background elements.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 05:31:50 pm
I think that the best think you could do right now is do everything from a "front-on" perspective. That would basically mean keeping everything as it is, and making the roof also front on, not sloping like you had initially (which i kept in the edit, although it looks a bit more interesting with the slope).

If you're having trouble with colors, the best thing you could do is look at photos of buildings of the epoch (those that have been preserved), or at movies and games that have an ambiance that you like. I recommend you do this also for the anatomy of the soldiers, how clothing fits the body, etc. Also, take a look at studying some basic anatomy and human proportions, you'll see your work benefit greatly from this.

I like how you did the shading on the roof, and contrast has improved. I still think you should reduce the saturation significantly on the window and door colors, and lose the dithering on the windows (just use another color).

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 06:07:35 pm
Hey guys, just a quick update for ya.  I tried the slopped effect and the straight tiles.  Sadly in my opinion the straight version doesnt seem to work too well.  That is, unless someone has an for that.  Thanks!

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 06:29:52 pm
I disagree, the perspective is incorrect and it looks weird because everything else in the picture isn't matching it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 06:34:57 pm by bengoshia »

Offline legofreak

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 08:38:04 pm
perspective edit:

if the window had an angles roof above the intersection with the roof would not match the angle of where it meets the side wall