AuthorTopic: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP  (Read 42865 times)

Offline JonathanOfDrain

• Lonely
    • View Profile
    • TheyWillEat.Us

Re: Period piece: Panzers on the prowl WIP

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 04:33:22 pm
Graphics Gale is step up from MSpaint and still allows you to use layers. You should probably take one of the soldiers and try to concentrate making one of them really nice.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 12:54:23 am
Here's a quick edit, hope you don't mind.
Adressed colors (choosing for more contrast, playing with lightness, saturation and hues between shades for each surface, for most effect). Tried to keep that desaturated look the world had during world war 2.
Added stronger defined shadows (around windows and doors), to better indicate light source and depth.
Added details, such as highlights, wall grime (maybe a bit too much), some more detail to the cracks.
Simplifed some of the shapes, such as the roof windows.
You have too many similiar shades, you should exert some palette control.

I did this in graphics gale. One of the tools i prefer there is the "color replacer", which allows you to fill an area with some color, and then go with the brush and add detail, masking with just that color (sort of same as a mask from photoshop). That's how i did some of the details, such as the wall grime (that and playing with different size brushes).

I like your piece pretty much, and with some care it would look pretty neat :) Lots of detail there.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 12:56:47 am by Turbo »

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 01:50:11 pm
Wow!  That edit looks awsome.  See, thats what I would love to see more of.  Its easy to say try this and that but it helps me out alot more to see ideas visually.  Thanks man, I will try my hand at achieving a look hopefully at least half as good as yours.  Mind if I use the the top windows structure you did(I will do my own version)?  Cheers!

Jack
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:52:33 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 07:48:30 pm
Sure, go right ahead and use what you like! Mind you, the windows on the roof don't really follow the front on perspective of the rest of the piece, and the roof tiles should follow this too (to be accurate, one can always take artistic liberties and move perspective around if he prefers).
Good luck and keep on pixelling!

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 07:02:32 am
k, I tried the new program and its not jiving too well with me.  Its just that I am so use to MS Paint, its hard to stop using it.  The main issue is the lack of selecting a BG color a FG with the mouse.  If there is something I am missing, let me know.  On to the project,  I like the tiles alot.  I took Turbo's design and made a version that is slightly bigger.  I also changed the coloring a tad.  I give Turbo the credit for the tiles idea and the enhanced shadows.  Those were exactly what I had been trying to draw for awhile.  Now I am off to work on the grunge factor.  Cya!

Jack

House update:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 02:11:07 pm by JackBauer24 »

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 04:36:50 pm
The colors are stil saturated,and for me the roof tiles look out of perspective.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 05:16:10 pm
The roof itself is fine, just the windows on it are not.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Alevice

• View Profile
    • DevArt gallery

Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 08:50:56 pm
The roof itself is fine, just the windows on it are not.

Not really, I feel it is the other way around. Just look at the entrace stairs :P

Offline JackBauer24

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 09:08:21 pm
oK, So the tiles should be going straight instead of at an angle?  If anyone can help me figure out what to do with the roof, Im all ears.  What about the main part of the building?  I tried to go for a bomb shaken house with plaster and such falling off.  Thanks!

Jack

Offline Zero

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 02, 2007, 12:23:22 am
JackBauer, your windows, are missing one key thing, the part that connects to the roof. Notice in Turbo's edit, the windows "go back" until they hit the roof. Hard to explain...his windows have smaller "roofs" of their own that attach to the roof. Without these, the windows appear to be floating.