AuthorTopic: [WIP] Grass To Dirt Tiles  (Read 3556 times)

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

[WIP] Grass To Dirt Tiles

on: June 25, 2007, 12:02:43 am
I'm looking for a way to join these grass and dirt terrains in all directions from an isometric perspective. I had a go in the example bellow, which I quite like, but I’m having trouble replicating that style, especially in the lower half of the circle where the join will be covered by grass. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Template:

Example:

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Grass To Dirt Tiles

Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:32:00 pm
Hmm, well the thing that I notice most as being a possible problem is that you've used an ellipse to base the tiles off. I would suggest just trying a simple isometric square first off, because its simpler, more versatile game-wise, and I dunno, it just feels like the proper way to go. If you want to make more variation tiles after those basic iso-square ones, its a straightforward affair.

I tried looking for some references for grass-to-dirt transitions, but it was hard to find any. So I'd say your best chance for references are game screenshots. I would recommend Seiken Densetsu 3 tiles as a good starting point. Pretty much any pixelled RPG or isometric game.

EDIT: Oh by the way, your dirt looks a lot like sand. Try changing the colour to a more brown or red hue and rework the texture to not have such fine grains to it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 03:45:34 pm by EyeCraft »

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 03:52:06 pm
A few other things to note. By basing the transitions on an ellipse, you'll need to be very careful and consistent with the placement of the edge pixels, or you'll end up with a bunch of tiles that only work together as, well, an ellipse. I think the smart way to go right now would be to keep the transition edges at the exact center of each tile, whether vertically or horizontally (or both, in the case of corner/diagonals), and nail the four diagonals (eight, if you count dirt-to-grass) and four cardinals. What I did with my own transition tiles was to place the edge transition pixels, and then just freeform it from there, instead of sticking to straight lines. As long as the edges line up, the center portions can be as messy as you like.

On a related note, right now you're trying a little too hard to stick to the elliptical guideline. Even if you go with the ellipse, I would advise against sticking so closely, since right now it looks a little unnatural and landscaped. Allow for some variation, and more importantly, allow for some transition space, so you don't go from grass straight to dirt. If you look observe grassy areas, or look at photos of such, you'll never see such a hard transition. Thin out the grass as you approach the dirt, or you'll end up with ground that looks heavily landscaped.

Offline Obsidantion

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 05:42:38 pm
Thanks LoTekK and EyeCraft. You both commented on the artificial effect of having such stark and shaped borders between the textures but these tiles will be in a cultivated landscape town setting. I should have specified that the dirt is more of a man-made path with dry sandy soil. Thanks for the research EyeCraft, I really like the art in Secret Of Mana 3, I'm not sure if I will be able to retrieve any techniques from that though, for this case, as the style I've developed so far is pretty different from anything in that game.

Here is a finished attempt at applying the idea from my example onto the template I made (I'm not entirely happy with it but if I can't come up with anything better I'll probably settle for it).

Here is the scene context in which the tiles will be used (I do want to keep them elliptical, having many different tiles to make up each scene isn't an issue for me in this case).

This is the basis of a scene from a game I'm making (No lighting/details) so any C&Cs will be helpful.

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 06:14:30 pm
Watch your perspective on the roof of that building-tomb-monument-thing.  Everything below the dome looks fine, but the dome  has major issues all over.  The top circle on the dome is squashed vertically, the base of the dome should probably be circular as well, and the stone does not curve nearly enough. 
Also, you have nice detail on everything, but make sure that your detail doesn't cause volume to be lost.  As an example, the bushes have very defined leaves but look flat rather than round.  Make sure you define a light source and shade the bushes so that you can tell they're round.

This looks quite nice; I look forward to seeing updates!
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.