AuthorTopic: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward  (Read 58576 times)

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Re: Contra 4 DS - Developped by WayForward

Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 02:20:09 pm
wow thats really impressive  :y:
everything looks so detailed.
cant wait to try it out :D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 02:30:05 pm
Haha one 1up fellow didn't find the graphics 'cool' enough. Top-notch pixel art misinterpreted once again.

Offline Lee N

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 04:25:30 pm
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6886975&postcount=172

some proper ownage in that post.. haha.

Seriously though, to the Wayforward guys here at the forum. Now that the game is announced, we've seen screens, scans and movies from it.. you think you could post at least one image from the game that isn't rescaled and compressed to shit so we can really take a look at the art in the game? I (and I think I speak for the rest of the visitors of this forum, too) would really appreciate that.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 05:41:34 pm
Haha one 1up fellow didn't find the graphics 'cool' enough. Top-notch pixel art misinterpreted once again.
Some of the guys blurted that it's not pushing the hardware and not as good looking as Castlevania DS. Personally i don't see that much difference really in overall quality of the pixelart. The DS is certainly powerful enough to show pretty much anything you want on the screen and even to waste some power for 3D effects like in castlevania, so it all comes down to style and art direction. Style that we think is totally awesome might be way too oldskool for the average joe.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #44 on: June 30, 2007, 05:50:13 pm
he actually said "I think it looks worse than the castlevania games" :huh:
only thing that bugs me is there's no animation when you go from upright to prone, but it's easy to look past
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #45 on: June 30, 2007, 06:56:00 pm
They never had those and it makes sense gameplaywise.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #46 on: June 30, 2007, 07:01:51 pm
I know they never had it and it allows to shoot a few frames earlier, but I'm sure there will be some other transition animations that contra never had before.
I just think it's a rather large jump, and I'd gladly sacrifice atleast 2 frames of readiness to smooth it out a little
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Ed Oscuro

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: June 30, 2007, 07:49:23 pm
he actually said "I think it looks worse than the castlevania games" :huh:
I think they meant the newer GBA/DS ones. I suppose you could say there's an argument there, although those guys should have seen more of the games than we have. It certainly seems that recent Castlevania games have been focusing quite a bit on the artistic aspect and it's going to take a good artist to match or top that :)

For my part, I think it looks great...you can tell right away that the SNES and NES sprites were used as general models. I didn't see a lot that you can tell comes straight out of Contra III, the item icons and player lives font come out of Contra III/Spirits, and I thought the jetbike (that water stage is reminiscent of Shinobi III, at least when viewing it!) and alien dog looked very close to their Contra III counterparts. I'm pretty sure the alien dog has been redrawn, seems to have some sinews standing out that I didn't remember from the SNES game. I could be wrong there.

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure, I'm the dude behind revamping the Contra HQ. I've been amped about this ever since I heard about the announcement (three days late). The dual-screen thing is a real challenge for action games and it's a pleasant surprise to see it handled so well - then again, I never had any reservations about the developer because I've actually had some experience with their products which apparently the "this sucks" crowd hasn't. This looks like it'll be even better than what we've seen before, though (not much of a fan of SSS, played a bit of it and then got thoroughly sick of the random ship battles)!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 08:02:13 pm by Ed Oscuro »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 01, 2007, 04:02:11 am
The DS Castlevania games look pretty sucky...
There are a number of people on these boards that could easily match it.

To be honest, I didn't know what to expect from this game when I heard the announcement.
It looks really good though, so :y: from me.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #49 on: July 02, 2007, 12:54:01 am
Can you guys tell who the background artist is from those shots? Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you look closely at the style.

And yeah, first WF game for Snake. Woohoo!