AuthorTopic: Spiral <small sprite>  (Read 5199 times)

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Spiral <small sprite>

on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:43 am

2 has edits on the helmet.

Crits please, but not too fast.  :ouch:

EDIT: I DIDN'T MAKE THE BIG SPRITE. It is from X-Men; Children of the Atom.  :D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:28:48 am by rabidbaboy »
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Re: Spiral <small sprite>

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:13:38 am
Very difficult to read, especially on the small ones. Too much detail me thinks.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21:53 am
 :crazy: I knew readability would be a problem.
Any tips?

I didn't make the big sprite, btw.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:25:39 am
What is the intended resolution? It's not unreasonable for these to read well especially in motion in about x2 zoom or so. More contrast, more defined surfaces without as much noise detail would be a suggestion.

It was clear to me, but it might not have been clear to other users. Please state beforehand next time. Thank you.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:32:57 am
What is the intended resolution? It's not unreasonable for these to read well especially in motion in about x2 zoom or so. More contrast, more defined surfaces without as much noise detail would be a suggestion.

It was clear to me, but it might not have been clear to other users. Please state beforehand next time. Thank you.
Hmm, it does look better at 2x. But I'm kidding no one, I made this specifically for 1x.
By "noise detail", do you mean my attempt at dithering? So I should just make it smoother?

And sorry for theconfusion, I didn't realize that there would be people who didn't know the game. :S

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:35:38 am
Think about the concept of how big a single pixel is at such a size. If a fist is 4 pixels and a face 6, then a single pixel of dithering on the helmet doesn't translate to a dent in it, but a large chunk of it, and a single pixel of fur separation becomes as priority-important as a limb. Simplify, stylize and convey much more than you render at such sizes, if you want it to work at 1x zoom especially. More contrast, less colors, simpler design.

Also the sprite you're remaking is a mess, in terms of silluette. Spiral is a mess generally. Turn the sprite all black and tell me what you can read. Especially for a smaller size you should go ahead and make an all-new pose that reads at least clearer than the original.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 11:30:56 am
Hmm, I never thought of it like that.

I tried to address most of the crits (I tried lessening the random dots, but in my fiddling, I can't make it look better without them.   :-\), did the silhouette thing and decided to make the arms outstretched (mostly) since that's where it's mostly unreadable. Um, added aa, and increased contrast (number 4).

Keep the crits coming, I'll be back tomorrow.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 12:13:08 pm
I'd suggest to increase contrast for readability. Also arms needs some joints.=)

Here's a quick edit - i don't know what you are aiming for, just point out general reading.=)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 12:19:43 pm
Her foreground leg doesn't really read as being bent and in the foreground.

Ellipses are great at suggesting foreshortening and angle.

Shadow can be used to suggest that surfaces point down. Maybe it could be used on the bent leg's fluff, leaving the upper edge of it highlighted to show the ellipse.

Fog or lowered contrast can be used to separate things by distance or plane. The big sprite has a fogged leg... fluff.

The upper leg looks concave almost, like a skeleton bone.

The arms are going in all sorts of directions, it becomes hard to take in. Maybe arrange them in a harmonious pattern? You could play with the swooshy direction of a left arm being continued in a right arm, not breaking the direction.

We often look for eyes in faces, and if we don't find them we might feel uneasy.

I think Fool is onto something.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 01:02:34 pm
fool's edit is very good. You don't even have to adapt to his pose, just study contrast and depth presentation.

I say unless this will be for something animated, lose the whole bent leg tiptoe thing. Besides being uncreative (that pose was already in that game) it really really hurts readability. I'm sure you can think of some other pose that conveys the mood of the character without resorting to copying one, yes?