AuthorTopic: [WIP] Turrican inspired shooter  (Read 3237 times)

Offline TomF

• View Profile

[WIP] Turrican inspired shooter

on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:09 pm
Was hunting through my PC for old work when I came across a small demo in the vein of the turrican games, which looked like this:

Anyway I decided I'd try and give it an overhaul graphics wise. Here's what I've got so far:

I'm in desperate need of some c&c!

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Turrican inspired shooter

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 02:14:31 pm
the sprite needs some work, mainly on the legs. They have two light sources (one is lit from the left the other one from the right, and look a bit too targeted to the viewer in comparison with the upper body). The rocks look pretty nice, although I would expect a row with mid dark rocks between the brighter ones and the darker ones, the difference is imo too big between these tiles. background and grass obviously needs some more detail, but the contrast range is already pretty good, maybe.
all in all you've made some great progress between these two mockups, now finish the second one ;)

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 09:24:33 am
Just a small update:

The tree trunks are re-used from the old version for now.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 10:40:39 am
Whilst this is pretty good texturing and such, the colors dont seem to fit together at all.  There is the dark atmospheric background, which is good, but highly saturated grass tiles and those "coin" things, they don't seem to work well together.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 02:03:47 pm by Feron »

Offline TomF

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:39:39 am
So de-saturate the colours? Or change the palette a bit? I'll admit I don't know much about colours, I'm going for an arcade feel to it, and generally those games have saturated colours in.

My main inspiration is actually an old amiga game "Ruff n Tumble":