AuthorTopic: Street Figther HD Remix  (Read 63857 times)

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Re: Street Figther HD Remix

Reply #120 on: November 08, 2007, 08:32:20 pm
Isn't that particular issue directly related to retracing old artwork; required to have the new art fit the old bounding boxes?
Glub Glub!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #121 on: November 08, 2007, 08:37:06 pm
I don't know. Show me the bounding boxes for that frame and I'll show you a way to make them work without awful anatomy.

Offline Cammy

• View Profile

Reply #122 on: November 09, 2007, 12:04:11 am
this whole thing smells of outsourcing the artwork to indian gfx outsources...
It's outsourced all right, outsourced to UDON - an american comic book stuido. I think it would've been for the better if they found some animators in india to outsource it to. Right now it's like a bad joke.

Long Vo from Udon is the artist working on the sprite charts that are sent to a studio in Hong Kong who are working on the colouring and everything else. Since the hard-core Street Fighter fans want the game to play exactly like the original (they don't even want remixed music or newly recorded speech samples) the positions of all the limbs on the characters has to stay exactly as it was in the original and no animation frames can be added. It was Capcom's decision to keep it this way and have the whole project confined to a low budget because they needed a next-gen Street Fighter game that could be developed in a short time period to get out there to fill the void between now and when Street Fighter 4 comes out.

Oh, and I thought I'd point out that Udon is a Canadian comic company, not American, not that it's very relevant but some people might take it as an insult.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:08:12 am by Cammy »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #123 on: November 09, 2007, 12:54:34 am
Since the hard-core Street Fighter fans want the game to play exactly like the original (they don't even want remixed music or newly recorded speech samples)

Then they should just play the original.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #124 on: November 09, 2007, 01:40:59 am
I don't know. Show me the bounding boxes for that frame and I'll show you a way to make them work without awful anatomy.
There was no bounding box in the psd, but it did have the original sprite frame:

just as bad really.. Still, I'd like to see your version helm :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #125 on: November 09, 2007, 02:30:43 am
Now... this is NOT the official size of the bounding boxes... but based off the other works... the blocks I used are the same size... so it would probably be SIMILAR.

Also, it seems as though the people in charge are also aware of many of the concerns that have been raised.  Their Blog talks about inconsistent shading and the problems with Blanka.
Glub Glub!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #126 on: November 09, 2007, 02:43:11 am
So you're telling me that since the bounding box is what it is, we can't take that long arm from there and extend the left leg so it covers up the exact same space? We can of course, but whomever is making this doesn't know the first thing about anatomy and is not interested in making good art, he's interested in doing the little he thinks he knows , just as Capcom hired him to do.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #127 on: November 09, 2007, 02:44:20 am
Quote from: Capcom Blog
[The CPS2] made advancements in arcade technology and essentially, was capable of handling better, more detailed graphics. So any character or move that was new to the game between SFII and SSFII was developed on the CPSII board. So Cammy, Fei, Long, and T Hawk were able to have some cool effects added to them, like the blurring, which was not possible for the other characters developed on the CPS1.

This quote is talking about this frame here: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2014/1879371617_7619ff6eeb_o.jpg
Uh, what? Are they actually saying that clearly manual motion blur common in animation for decades was due to an enhancement in arcade hardware?

Also: the Blanka sprite is part of a sequence in which he rests his weight on that elongated arm. Even if you were to make the HD version look nice anatomically, it'd be difficult to try and fix the entire animation, I think. The original Blanka sprites were very wonky to begin with.

EDIT: Here's the sequence I was talking about: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/4410/blankaza0.gif
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 02:47:37 am by Khris »

Offline Cammy

• View Profile

Reply #128 on: November 09, 2007, 04:53:08 am
Since the hard-core Street Fighter fans want the game to play exactly like the original (they don't even want remixed music or newly recorded speech samples)

Then they should just play the original.

I don't understand why people would complain about remixed music and new sound effects if the whole look of the game has been changed, but the really hard-core SF guys love to bitch about everything. I loved SSFII/ST, but since this is a new revision, I have no problem with it playing differently or sounding better if the game is more fun to play. I just can't wait to see Cammy in action.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #129 on: November 09, 2007, 05:42:52 am
and now for something only I could care about

I love JohnK's blog...this all makes so much sense now that I've seen him complain about Korean inbetweening studios :p. the whole system is made to replicate bland and boring.

the people up above think more shades and more rez =more quality, but no one in the project has any clue of animation "cause it's already animated anyways" so we're seeing subpar illustrators making millions of illustrations one after another without any relation within themselves...and then they're stickin it into a game....eek

Yet another post about everything you already knew with some added nonesense.

courtesy of ~Conceit~