AuthorTopic: Street Figther HD Remix  (Read 63862 times)

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: Street Figther HD Remix

Reply #80 on: August 28, 2007, 06:06:54 pm
I mean to say yours didn't amount to much greater quality when observing from the other end of the spectrum. It was considered just as bad as the udon sprites even though it has solid anatomy and udon's has uhh.. something else. The random guy looks at different things for aesthetics.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #81 on: August 28, 2007, 06:24:32 pm
There's such a concept that 'quality is subjective' and then there's the concept of a stacked deck. There's going to be someone to love getting women on high-heels to step on his testicles, it doesn't mean we have to listen to (or even worse, as a company, target) him and take his desires into account. Most good videogames that have stood the test of time have solid and professionally-done graphics! Surprise. There's someone or three out there who think this is the best game there is and they're probably all in 4chan being their awesome radical totally different selves.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #82 on: August 28, 2007, 06:36:45 pm
It's easily understandable why Helm's remake wouldn't have appealed to the general population, and especially considering the target audience of SF fans out there. The style is completely different from anything you would expect to see with the label "Street Fighter" these days. Some people can come to admire it, but there's generally nothing all too 'Street Fighter' about it, at least not what the fanbase has come to know and love. I saw that he was trying to keep the western style of the original, though it's clear the taste of the fanbase goes more towards anime-inspired stuff. So in the end, the only way you will please everyone is by achieving a good balance between that typical anime style of Capcom art with the application of good figure drawing skills.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #83 on: August 28, 2007, 06:45:49 pm
Judging from your recent comic posted in the OTcreativity thread I'd have to say your anatomical skills are very lacking for someone who has been drawing for as long as you have.

Fuck you.  You know nothing about my past or history as an artist.  I have very little formal training and have been forced to teach myself what I know during my very sparse free time.  I told you, in that post, to critique my work... since I am always open to criticism.  I have every desire to improve my work and stretch myself to be a better artist... but it is constrained by work and other activities.  If you're just going to belittle my art in another thread, go for it... but don't expect me to respect you... I'd have a much higher regard for you if it was genuine critique where it was requested.  Believe it or not, I respect you as an artist, Helm.  Your work is fascinating and self exploratory at the same time.  You have the strongest dedication to this site of anyone who has ever come here... continuous and consistent posting and critiquing for... 5 years?  I value your critiques and comments, but if the best you have for me is that I'm an embarrassment as an artist because I've spent years and have no talent, then respectfully, fuck you.

I may come off vitriolic, but that's just my nature.  Being told I'm not any good without any genuine criticism irks me to no end.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:48:18 pm by Scuba Steve »
Glub Glub!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #84 on: August 28, 2007, 09:24:24 pm
Woah.

I'm with you, Scubes, but I don't think Helm intended to insult you on a personal level. He has a point. And starting a post with "fuck you" is... definitely more insulting than what he said. It's kinda true that your anatomical workings could be more accurate. Personally, I don't think it matters. But to some, things aren't worth doing if you don't do them RIGHT. Helm does that. I like it. Keeps you on your toes. Even though apparently using Paint isn't right.

Suddenly, I forget what I was trying to say. Ohyeah, I think it was that you don't have to throw a "fuck you" at Helm for saying something that seems to be true. Even if he's good at being painfully blunt.

Me, I don't really know what the fuss is about regarding this Street Fighter deal. I mean, yeah, some of the pics have positively horrid anatomy. Thing is, people don't notice. Even if they do notice, they don't care. People don't play Street Fighter because it's anatomically correct. Yeah, it'd be really nice if someone who could actually.. draw a correct hand were to work on a fighting game, but whatever. I have no clue how this argument could spawn from such a discussion in the first place. Yes, the anatomy is bad. No, it doesn't matter.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #85 on: August 28, 2007, 09:28:15 pm
There should be a big length of space between 'huh, I was just insulted on the internet?!' and 'fuck you' and it's called 'asking for clarifications'. I have to urge you to stretch that space out a tad. I was working on critique for your art before you posted on this thread (comics is my main field, not pixels). My comment was based on your past history as a pixelation member, and being formally trained or not was not what I was getting at. Your sob story about 'forcing yourself to be a better artist' isn't new, we all do the same thing. Very few people have such a good eye that they can become awesome artists by when they're 15 or something.

If you're going to be so high strung and attack people when you don't like what they tell you, you won't last long here as an active member. I'm letting it slide because I wasn't insulted by your outburst, but I'll have to protect the userbase if you explode on someone else next time. If you are going to be cool with other people and are just picking a fight with me specifically, I'm not going to indulge you.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #86 on: August 28, 2007, 09:42:20 pm
People don't play Street Fighter because it's anatomically correct. Yeah, it'd be really nice if someone who could actually.. draw a correct hand were to work on a fighting game, but whatever. I have no clue how this argument could spawn from such a discussion in the first place. Yes, the anatomy is bad. No, it doesn't matter.

It's less about being "correct", and more about an artist constructing a believably consistent interpretation. Distort and exaggerate reality, every artist does that unconsciously anyways (by virtue of individual perception). But do NOT abandon basic artistic principles. Use contrasting shapes and textures, draw in the third dimension, balance detail with empty space, use neutral colors as buffers, etc. Try to be inventive rather than derivative. I know the project is a "remix", but that's no excuse to gag creativity and handcuff it to a water pipe in the basement. Some of the world's greatest art was born out of limitations (are publishers that different from Renaissance era patrons?). I'm not saying Udon MUST create a masterpiece, but they can't expect anything other than shit without artistic principles.

Even if players don't care, it matters. Maybe anatomy isn't the primary draw, but everything contributes to the end gaming experience. You get more of what you subsidize and I'm not willing to support a sinking standard for artists in any industry.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:47:44 pm by big brother »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #87 on: August 28, 2007, 10:45:19 pm
I guess. It is a bit shocking to have a video game artist make such blatant flaws in what should be basic knowledge for someone who makes their money from drawing. But hey, let's look at it for what it is. It's a remake of Street Fighter with higher resolution graphics for the sake of having higher resolution graphics. It all feels a lot like a "hey let's do this just because we can" deal to me anyway.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #88 on: August 28, 2007, 11:26:15 pm
Or a "Lets do this for the money" deal.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #89 on: August 29, 2007, 01:29:40 am
This is capcom, a huge company! and to think they will try to go for some cheap production with a Streetfighter label is really surprising.
I believe majority of us can detect the flaws of their artwork..Maybe we sound like an ass but perhaps deep inside if we are in their situation, and I was asked to make those sprites, I would turn it down completely because I know my limits. It's Streetfighter man! not some indie/project work and the bar was already set quite high. If you can't make it at least decent, It's gonna backlash at you in the end and make your reputation a joke.

To sum it up, I feel they have this attitude "we don't CARE what you think, we just want to profit". Thats why this was brought up and that's why we probably have this thread. It's give us more a good look on how things work in the business with a big name on the line. Right now, I'm just waiting how this game to come out and be reviewed.

And about helms Sagat, He didn't finish it and he has the ability to make it like dc/marvel comic sagat or something visually appealing ..Takes a lot of guts knowing some people in the internets would joke about it, and he still didn't do it. I wish he did, I was tempted to pm him about it, but from seeing his attitude in this boards, he probably shrug it off.

Anyway, I kinda analyzed why the character looks older is because
1. Facial grin
2. some dark lines by using comic style look
I hope you don't mind helm, I know I can't do justice.. but I did a small change on his mouth area for a serious look to make him a bit younger.

Huzba,
Ugh sorry, I didn't know you mentioned it already.