AuthorTopic: Street Figther HD Remix  (Read 63872 times)

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Re: Street Figther HD Remix

Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 11:14:05 pm
Oh ffs, it looks fine.  They were asked to shoehorn new sprites into the PRECISE size and area of the old sprites... no room for anatomical corrections since the bounding boxes had to be identical for hit detection.  They have to use the original SFII animation cycles so they don't mess with gameplay and fluidity.  I would have prefered a more comic book look and feel, more black/white less colour... but come on, they look fine.  It's one thing to critique... but I sense far more baseless nitpicking and contempt towards the art for SFIIHD.
Glub Glub!

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: August 28, 2007, 12:24:38 am
Actually, I find that their latest update makes it very easy to disagree: http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php/2007/08/23/latest_sfhd_update_w_first_bg_art

The art isn't even up to the standards of the SF comics I've seen Udon come out with.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #72 on: August 28, 2007, 12:27:24 am
I think the worst thing is that people are both assuming and boasting that this is the "future" of 2D and the best it can ever be :(
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:31:31 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 12:22:08 pm
Oh ffs, it looks fine.  They were asked to shoehorn new sprites into the PRECISE size and area of the old sprites... no room for anatomical corrections since the bounding boxes had to be identical for hit detection.

I respectfully disagree. The original sprites weren't anatomical wonders, but the new ones are adding even more. If you don't see it, you probably need to sharpen your eye by doing more anatomy work, it will benefit your own art too.

It's one thing to critique... but I sense far more baseless nitpicking and contempt towards the art for SFIIHD.

I'd agree... if it were baseless.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #74 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:56 pm
THAT is one HUGE car. DAMN!
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: August 28, 2007, 01:38:41 pm
"Udon is drawing the model design sheets and key frames for the sprites. Another party is also involved in creating the rest of the sprites." <--- The real reason for the anomalies. I don't know who the second party is but, they are trying to keep it a secret to protect that 2nd party's reputation.

Offline Scuba Steve

• View Profile
    • Incredible Baron

Reply #76 on: August 28, 2007, 02:29:50 pm
I would hardly consider myself an expert on anatomy... but I know my way around it.  But a couple invented muscles... I could hardly give a shit.  I don't claim my position is that the new SFIIHD images are flawless or simply amazing... but they look fine.  http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php/2007/06/29/p349#more349 T.Hawk looks surprisingly nice as a new HD image, I think they did a terrific job.  Guile is probably the worst image they have shown off so far, but the T.Hawk image and Akuma look decent.  I, too, was taken back by that animated Chun Li image... but I'll have to wait and see the final work.  Sometimes you sound like a one trick pony, Helm, Anatomy.  Agreed, it's very important... but, for the most part, I'm hardly bothered by the anatomy in most of the preview images they have shown of SFIIHD.  Ther blog even shows a render of Saga kicking that looks very similar to your render you did above (nice work, incidentally)... so I would hardly say they don't know what they're doing.

From the start of this thread it was "This sucks!"... when I must disagree.  Amazing?  Not in my opinion... but it's certainly decent and it should look nice on an HDTV running LIVE on the 360.
Glub Glub!

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #77 on: August 28, 2007, 03:23:29 pm
THAT is one HUGE car. DAMN!
Ever been around an escalade?

I'm not thrilled about SF2:HD, but at least they're doing it by hand instead of grinding the graphics through some photoshop filters and call it HD like a lot of XLA games.

@Froli. I posted that 3rd party earlier in the thread. They're some small fry and if you look at their earlier comics, they have pretty much the same flaws present.

Seems like a lot of people are excited about it, and a lot of them don't really care about the anatomy or whatever, so let them enjoy it when it comes out.
It'd be silly to try and preach people about the flaws and try and make them hate it. Most people don't take games seriously, most people aren't artists being badly affected by the art.

Hehe, also to note, Helm's Sagat was the subject of public ridicule along with some other udon sprites at 4chan. He was dubbed as Granpa-Sagat. Of course we can't give credit to udon making appealing faces for them, since quite a few are traced from older Capcom character art, which was discussed earlier as well. I agree with Scuba that it's useless nitpicking.. kinda, though i agree with Helm as well, as it is not baseless at all. No one should try and learn from these sprites, since they serve as a very bad example and i think this is why some people here feel so strongly about nailing and crucifying them for their errors.

As for my personal view, i'm definatelly not going to buy the game, since i've played the original enough and i don't fancy the new art.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #78 on: August 28, 2007, 05:06:34 pm
The background is artistically bankrupt, especially when compared to the original. Every element has its own perspective, scale, and lighting. They are all thrown together in a kind of hideous collage with no thought given to depth or color theory. Not only is it painful to look at, it's even less functional when you put the sprites on top of it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #79 on: August 28, 2007, 05:46:43 pm
I would hardly consider myself an expert on anatomy... but I know my way around it.

Judging from your recent comic posted in the OTcreativity thread I'd have to say your anatomical skills are very lacking for someone who has been drawing for as long as you have. I am not surprised if you can't spot much of the issues with these sprites, and it is a valid thing to say 'well if I can't spot them, johnny gamer can't spot them either' to which I reply, when (a pro gaming company)  makes bad art, safe in the knowledge that the common denominator of their target audience can't tell that it's sucky, then a soddy job is being done.

Sometimes you sound like a one trick pony, Helm, Anatomy.

I wasn't aware that I'm here to provide a variety of entertainment for you. But I've got no problem with being dubbed an 'one-trick pony' if my one 'trick' is advocating proper artistic practises. Stop learning anatomy from anime, stop learning color theory from anime, stop copying anime styles and learn the fundamentals. Think when you draw, observe life when you draw. these are valid critiques for these udon people and the subcontracted group both. I'm not saying go super-realistic with this project, but at least have the skills to pull off aesthetic consistency without everything looking awkward. You don't see me complaining that the Guilty Gear sprites have long-ass legs or anything. They are consistent, it's not a look I enjoy but I'm not whining about it. This stuff is amateurish.

Hehe, also to note, Helm's Sagat was the subject of public ridicule along with some other udon sprites at 4chan.

y...you don't mean to say... I was made fun of on the internet?!?!