AuthorTopic: Street Figther HD Remix  (Read 64162 times)

Offline jmgandalf

• View Profile

Street Figther HD Remix

on: June 18, 2007, 09:20:50 pm
I don't know if you already see this, but here you go

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/digital.php/2007/06/14/how_they_do_it_sf_hd_remix

They're using photoshop all the way!! :huh:

Discuss

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Street Figther HD Remix

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:47:32 am
Looks great in my opinion.  :y:
I'm not sure about using the pixel version as a base though because you'll just get revamped graphics yet all the animations will be the same basically. Maybe they'll add more frames?
if they dont add any more frames im unsure how smooth it'll look at this scale.
also, there's alot of perspective/depth issues.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 12:50:19 am by Alex Hanson-White »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 01:07:04 am
man, looks a lot better than what they showed a month or two ago.

and well, I'm not really interested unless it plays like third strike, but has all the original street fighter cast
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:09:44 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 02:23:56 am
I agree with Kon....the keyframes in the original streetfighter were pretty bad...

thanks for the heads up! I'll look into their method =)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 03:07:19 am
Pretty poop keyframes + revamped gfx not made by animators but comic artists (wtf!) = i expect the worst.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 09:00:45 am
Reading through posts on the capcom forum it seems like they aren't going to add any more frames (because that would mess up the original gameplay).
IDK, it's good that they aren't going too far with the remix but maybe they aren't going far enough...
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 03:43:43 pm
I can't understand why so many people rave about this. I think it looks awful, amateur-ish to the level of bad fanart.

It doesn't seem like the artists are dealing with the granularity issue. In order to make the original pixel sprites more readable, compromises were made. It's easiest to see these in the hands, fingers, and feet. When everything is scaled up, the ratios stay the same, since the artists are just drawing over it.

The second problem I have with the process -- the artists seem to be taking each frame individually rather than in context with the others. As a result, I suspect a lot of the detail they add will float around. They artists seem to be relying on a lot of extraneous lines rather than constructing solid forms like good animators would.

Then of course, there's the anatomy problems. I don't mind exaggeration or skewing, but this stuff looks plain inhuman, like mutant clones of the characters. It seems that these comic book artists learned anatomy from other comic books (paying particular attention to Rob Liefeld's work), while avoiding life drawing, figure studies, or even looking at real people.

This project would be better off if they just colorized the animated sketches for SF Alpha.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 04:10:26 pm
My sentiment exactly.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 04:25:26 pm
Yeah, very bad. Why the hell is Ryu leaning forward almost to the point of falling down in that nearest neighbour resize anyway?

The SFIII graphics are nothing to write home about in any case, so why use them as bases? ugh.

Offline shaheen

• Hardcore Lurker
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 04:58:19 pm
I'm pretty sure that the nearest neighbor frame is part of his walking forward animation cycle. Which never was all that great, but that's why it looks so funky.

I think what annoys me the most are the obvious and, frankly, mindlessl screw ups, and not so much the weird muscle stylization. This Akuma sprite, for example:
Akuma

The mouth is completely unreadable in that one. At first, I thought that they had just forgotten to add the mouth/teeth showing, but it ends up his lips are making a "O" form. The shading on the mouth just above the chin is really off and adds sharp line creating depth (which ends up looking like a lip) to a place where there shouldn't be, confusing the viewer.

On this one, I can't even imagine why they screwed up the thumbs so badly:
Ken

I'm also confused as to why they're using so few colors for shading. It almost makes sense if you think that they're limiting themselves in order to use the old code, but then that point is made moot when you consider (among a few other things) that they'll be creating a bunch of new colors through auto AA. I'm also not a fan of the extremely angular lines that they're using. Bleh, overall.

Being a hardcore fan, I'll still probably buy this, but that's only if I end up having one of the systems that'll have it for download.