AuthorTopic: Feature 05 - Generic 16 color palette  (Read 200861 times)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Re: Generic 16 color palette

Reply #60 on: June 23, 2007, 12:35:14 pm
The near-white gray is so near-white, might as well make it white. Why not?

I'm not sure if I would like that. I find Pure White a bit obnoxious. It's also rather uncommon to see in images unless there's serious overexposure going on.

It's 242,240,231 now, so it does have a warm tone to it. 240 is quite different from 255 I think. A slight yellow white will appear brighter than a pure white without having that cold sting, but mine is a bit more grey.

Jonlan is from LaserSquad, but the water tank and master droid is from RebelStar Raiders. I felt an urge yesterday to repixel the entire moonbase.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #61 on: June 23, 2007, 01:11:29 pm
for art a pure white is not very useful unless certain lighting conditions are met. But for gameart is an invaluable tool of separation. In small pixel spaces, sometimes you really need that sharpness to make a single-pixel specular add life to an edge.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #62 on: June 23, 2007, 02:58:39 pm
I can see it working for single pixels, when you need the white to bleed.

Trying out the white. Changed dark blue to less saturated. Lightened the two paired darks. Noodled on the water tank. 50% dithering is an interesting effect I need ot explore more to separate surfaces etc..

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:58:53 pm by ptoing »

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: June 23, 2007, 03:52:20 pm
16 colors!!!!!???? I mean realy,how do you draw that?Thats...INSANE!By the way,I love the pallet not realy a purple in there,but still I'm going to use this every time I sprite.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #64 on: June 23, 2007, 07:06:20 pm
I love how this is coming along.  One thing i thought is that you could merge the sky blue with the grey and lose none of the readability, of course greys are useful, but merging them would free up a space for perhaps a darker grey.

I don't know how much photoshop vucked the colors when i saved it, but you get the idea:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:59:02 pm by ptoing »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #65 on: June 23, 2007, 07:17:05 pm
Hmm.. I don't know, it's nice to have a neutral, a colored grey feels a bit sick. I'd also like to keep the light blue close to a good sky color which connects with the darker one, and by keeping it somewhat cyan it works as a plasma color as well. Good idea though, if I absolutely must have a new color I might do something with the greys. It would be cool to have a darker one. Right now I sometimes use the light blue and grey together for various specular effects. If the grey was a bit darker, I could probably use the light blue as an intermediate between the grey and white.

I did another mockup (still wip). Took me a while to figure out that the thing was a Victorinox knife, and I even have one in my belt all the time. I made a little scythed walker of it. The barrel was not very interesting so I scrapped it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:59:14 pm by ptoing »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #66 on: June 23, 2007, 07:28:22 pm
So are we now keeping the pure white?

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #67 on: June 23, 2007, 09:59:14 pm
Neat. I've been wanting to make a 16 color palette of my own, but I didn't quite know where to begin, so this is really helpful. ;D

I played around with it a bit and probably ended up with something too dark because of the black background. I'll see what happens when (or if :crazy:) I manage to put together a decent mockup.

Here with your latest version:

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 11:59:26 pm by ptoing »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #68 on: June 23, 2007, 10:40:27 pm
Welcome back Arachne! Nice art, really crisp, if not a bit over-AAed. I think this palette is awesome.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #69 on: June 24, 2007, 12:22:22 am
So are we now keeping the pure white?

i would hope so.  1 pure white pixel always seems to look bigger than its surroundings pixels, which is very useful for eyes and possibly even teeth.  If you sprite has about 16 pixels for its entire face one white pixel next to a dark makes a perfect eye only using up 2 pixels.  It never really seems the same with a grey-white.

EDIT:  as a side not, could this thread please be featured, its a great thread for learning color theory aswell as lots of participation from the community.  Plus it would be nice for the final product to have a place in the feature chest for all to see and use.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:43:43 am by Feron »