AuthorTopic: Salmon  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Salmon

on: June 18, 2007, 04:22:24 pm
I'm not sure what made me pixel a salmon, but I did. I felt like doing some sort of fish, and I guess salmon was the first to come to mind. Anyway, here it is:

-->

I might use this in a game, and I'll most likely do a simple swim animation. Here's the reference pic I used, if anyone cares to look: link
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:46:58 pm by Obsidian »

Offline chigsam

• View Profile

Re: Salmon

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 07:11:56 pm
im thinking overdone on the dithering  :0'

Offline Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 07:53:04 pm
I disagree Chigasm, fish are scaly are they not (yus they are)? The dithering seems to give it a scaly feel. But one thing that does bug me is the mouth and the head of the fish. I thought fish could never fully close their mouths. Also, I can't sem to see anything that looks like gills, unless that ring around the head is one. In which case  it should be a tad smaller.
I like ze smile moustachee

Offline cilveeks

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 08:49:43 pm
there shouldn't be that ring around fish head, look at your own reference pic.  :-\

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 10:08:41 pm
That's pretty nice style. Looks tight. You could detail the eyes to make it more catchy if you like imo.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 10:20:38 pm
I disagree Chigasm, fish are scaly are they not (yus they are)? The dithering seems to give it a scaly feel. But one thing that does bug me is the mouth and the head of the fish. I thought fish could never fully close their mouths. Also, I can't sem to see anything that looks like gills, unless that ring around the head is one. In which case  it should be a tad smaller.
Yea, the dithering was to give a scaly texture.
I didn't know fish couldn't close their mouths...but the reason I made it small was simply that the canvas is small. And that half-ring to the left of the ring on the head is supposed to be a gill, again because of size I didn't add more. I'll play around with it some, see what I can do.

there shouldn't be that ring around fish head, look at your own reference pic.  Undecided
I think you're right there; as a stylistic thing I exagerrated it a bit I suppose. I'll try to fix that too.

That's pretty nice style. Looks tight. You could detail the eyes to make it more catchy if you like imo.
Thanks. And yea, I really wasn't happy with the eyes, but I'm not sure how to make them better...

EDIT: Made some changes.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 10:44:38 pm by Obsidian »

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:27:14 am
The second one looks much better, the dithering really gives a "scaly" feel. I like it.

I think the black outlines should be ditched and replaced with selout though.
I made an edit of what I mean. Yours is the bottom one.

"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:46:58 pm
The second one looks much better, the dithering really gives a "scaly" feel. I like it.

I think the black outlines should be ditched and replaced with selout though.
I made an edit of what I mean. Yours is the bottom one.

The reason I did the outline is because this will be for a game. Once I decide on a background color though, I'll probably remove it. You're right though, the outline looks kinda bad.