AuthorTopic: RPG sprite  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

RPG sprite

on: November 02, 2005, 07:16:25 am
This is something I did out of boredom/inspiration today, even though there are other things I should be working on.  It's something drastically different from my usual style, particularly in the proportions.  It's only one RPG sprite, and it may not be much, but, I'm very proud of it, and it's certainly much better than any other RPG sprite I've done.  It's got me thinking about I've improved over the years, even when I thought I was kick ass.  Heh, I hope some day I will look back on this someday and think "What, I thought that was good!?"  Anyway, sorry if this sounds like bragging, so I'm just going to post it now and give you guys a chance to knock me off my pedestal, heh.  In depth critique is much appreciated.

When I was making this guy I was mostly thinking about how an RPG inspired by Don Quixote would be, heh.

I'll probably update with more little guys...

EDIT:  Nixed the cape, and made a small edit to the hand.  Thanks for the comments, guys.  Here's a jester.  I'm not as happy with it, but I think it came out well.  More C&C are always appreciated.  Old man 11 colors, jester 16.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 05:15:22 pm by Darien »

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Re: RPG sprite

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 07:55:14 am
 This sprite kicks ass. Sure, I would recommend you to make some rpg versions of famous people.

Offline PixelPusher

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 08:07:35 am
I agree, this sprite kicks five different varieties of ass. However, I suggest you change the color of the cape as it blends in with the leg and makes him look very unbalanced.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:46:16 am
Old

New

It seems with each new one I keep getting further away from the quality I had attained in the first one.  Any suggestions?

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 04:14:07 am
the hair on the newest and the jester's clothes need bright highlights

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 05:08:13 pm
yes more saturation on the highlights, and about the first one, you should fix his legs, it looks like he's going to fall over flat on his face
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 01:52:25 am

I think these look much better now, thanks.

Thanks a lot for the replies, guys.  I tried fixing up his legs but I'm having trouble with it.  O is for original, 1,2, and 3 are attempts.  Please tell me which one works best or is on the right track.  I still like the original, and it's hard for me to tell which one looks best.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 04:34:03 am
Really nice, Darien. Loving the expression on the old man warrior.

On the edit of the old man, I don't really think any of the edits really fixed it. In fact, it took me a minute just to figure out what exactly was different in any of them. I'm guessing the problem is the one leg looks kind of broken. It might fix it by taking the foot to our right, and having it tilt towards our right more instead of facing straight at us. Also, I'm really confused by what's happening with the shirt by his chin. Is there supposed to be a beard there, or is it a shirt pattern or did you decide to do the lighting differently? It kind of looks like a beard to me, but the 4 pixel long line under his 'stache seems like a chin line and the separation there makes me think the white under his head doesn't have anything to do with the face.

With the jester, The darkest purple shade is very difficult to notice until you get to several times zoom. You might want to try lightening the middle purple shade and see if having the last shade more visible adds to the sprite. Aside from that, it looks good. I think the jester is probably my favourite of them all.

Something about the newest guy(the mental patient guy) seems odd to me. It doesn't have the template feel that RPGs have. Something I think might be a problem is the body proprtions seem a bit different. It might be in the legs, they seem longer than your original's are. Might be something with the facial region too. I notice your first sprite has nice bushy eyebrows, the jester's eyebrow area is clearly emphasized as well, but it seems you didn't carry this into the third one

And that's about all I can think of at the moment

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 09:53:40 pm
Thanks for the critique, crab.  I think you nailed a lot of the problems right on the head.

I probably won't make any more, but I might still work on these if someone has any critiques to offer.

Offline Coner

• Jing & Jang
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 02:38:27 pm
woh, i love those! so small, but still so clear. No critiques, very good! i really want to see more, but i wont push u if you dont want to.

one more thing, i can only see 1/3 pictures on your last post?

good work anyway : )

« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 02:47:59 pm by Coner »