AuthorTopic: DIE! (pixel die)  (Read 13481 times)

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

DIE! (pixel die)

on: July 29, 2005, 06:43:23 pm
Ok, so I'm going to make a java dice generator (don't ask why) so here's a die I pixeled to go with the program(\o/)

It took me about two hours. The things Im worried about are the "dots" cause I have no idea how to make iso circles but I tried it anyway. C&C would be apreciated  :).

Thank you in advance.
BeL

EDIT!!-!!:

Latest edition: + a 4d :
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 11:24:58 pm by BeL »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Re: DIE! (pixel die)

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 07:49:06 pm
Creating iso circles depends on your ability to adust the curvature using anti-aliasing techniques. At that size, it's fairly easy to do.  For the left 'ones' side, you would put darker AA shading on the top left and bottom right corners around the circle. I think you get my drift :)

BTW, I would suggest you remove the black outline from the inner area (keep the black border), and lighten it up to a dark gray.

Should the dots on the 4 side come in from the edge a bit?

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 08:21:46 pm
Thanks alot pep, I have no idea if what I did has anything to do with what you told me, but I think it looks better :)

so... here's an update:

-

My problem now, is that the die looks "boring" ... so what can I do to liven it up a bit?

Thanks again.
BeL

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 08:56:37 pm
I would suggest a lighter highlight... It's looking good so far.

aka: Zoomrix

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:16:23 pm
The dots look much better.  I think changing the black lines to gray isn't enough.  Instead, there should be a smooth in between color of the two shades on the sides, since the edges of dice are curved, and not abrupt like the dark line would suggest.  I'm not sure what you can do to liven it up... it is just a die...

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:28:46 pm

Some edits and a smaller die showing some things I might have done in your place. Hope these help!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:09:41 pm
Building off of the pep edit, there's absolutely no rule that says dice must be gray and boring, so here's a tint. Also you don't need more than 10 colours for this, and I was personally against the trig highlight pep used so I gave it an edge highlight.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 05:31:15 am
Five ways to liven up dice:
-change the dot's shape. Who says that they have to be round? (by the way, I think the little white pixel in each dot looks really bad and lonely too.....maybe add some aa to it or base it more on the shading)
-change the color (as seen above). Dice are always white. also, there are alot of translucent ones.
-lose the dots altogether. Many DnD dice do not have the dots, but instead, the number written out. This, of course, leaves it open to mess around with the 'font' of the numbers and location and such.
-the dots don't have to be in the same patterns as conventional dice, and they don't have to take up as much space. (pretty self explainatory)
-the shape of the die itself. Of course, if you want the dice to be fair, you make all the sides equal, but if you want them to look cool, you could warp each side into different 4 sided shapes, such as a rectangle or a diamond.

Good luck!
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 05:34:17 am
Rargh! Leave the one-pixel specular highlight on the dots for sure! I will fight space-crabs for them! Lonely, but determined! No aa! No support! No nothing! They're just right.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 07:08:36 am
Heh. In my opinion, they just look weird, and seem to make it look like they are  out instead of dipping in like they usually are. Again, just my opinion; doesn't mean its right or wrong.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.