AuthorTopic: DIE! (pixel die)  (Read 13483 times)

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Re: DIE! (pixel die)

Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 11:33:08 am
Hello!

Thanks to everyone for their replies + here's an update: I changed the colour, tried some "highlights" on the edges and tried to add some depth to the dots.

- -

next thing I'm going to add some texture. I'm not entirely sure how though... anyway

Thanks again.
BeL.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 11:55:42 am
Looks good, in my opinion. The top-side dots have a stray jaggy pixel in the middle on top and bottom. What you did with the top highlight on the dots, mirroring the bottom highlight isn't a good idea because the light comes on top from an angle, it will create a specular highlight where it hits an edge at a sharp angle. The above edge just rides off with the light and wouldn't have a specular. Instead of making the dots feel more like dents ( as i guess they are ) you now have them portrude from the body of the die.

I am happy with how a gray die, if you just give it some colour is 100% more interesting to the eye. Though I think your tint is too strong, I can live with it.

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 04:30:03 pm
Ok... here's the last (I hope) version:

-  
-

Is there anything else I can fix?

Thanks again.
BeL

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 30, 2005, 07:53:39 pm
The progress is noticeable from the original to the newest one, but I think, that the circles still dont look smooth at all.
Maybe you could try changing those black pixels (the ones on the sides, alone) into the next darkest green, and the ones next to it into a lightest green (if you get what I mean).
(Actually they looked much more smooth on the earlier version, you just had to change the black ones alone into a green there)
And some inner AA around the borders of the die could help.
But coming good.

Uhmm... I was kind of bored, and tried to do a die myself too :0
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 07:57:38 pm by Panda »

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 08:44:41 pm
Thanks panda (wow , I've got some serious study material!) I like the roughish look of the die at the moment, so I don't want to AA the inner borders of the die. I've tried to round the dots a bit more (I don't want them to look like holes so I left the black part as is)

here it is:

and since this is my dice post, here's a 4d which still needs tons of work:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 11:23:54 pm by BeL »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 31, 2005, 04:41:57 pm
Cool stuff so far. Are you planning on adding more types? I like 10 sided :)