AuthorTopic: Pixelling on your DS  (Read 11732 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Pixelling on your DS

Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 09:38:59 am
Okay.

I will certainly upgrade my tool to 32x32 and 64x64 edition. I'm not sure the current tool could handle unrestricted canvas size in a practical way. That could certainly be done, but then i would drop my current user interface and orient towards something that would look&feel more like Deluxe Paint IIe (my fav' pixeling tool ever).

But that would be a completely different project. SEDS in DSGameTools is more designed for sprites animation and tile edition in games ... A bit like the "small dragon" study in that other thread. Animating e.g. a Street Fighter character isn't part of my use cases :P

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 06:24:23 am
Uhm, I guess it all comes to the uses it will have.
If I were to pixel on the DS, I wouldn't really use if for making sprites, but more like a doodle pad where I could finish what I like etc.
But now, having something like Deluxe Paint on the DS would be neat.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:10:24 am
Uhm, I guess it all comes to the uses it will have.
If I were to pixel on the DS, I wouldn't really use if for making sprites, but more like a doodle pad where I could finish what I like etc.
But now, having something like Deluxe Paint on the DS would be neat.

hmm. i see. So you'd more feel the use for something like an electronic sketchbook that can sync easily with a full-blown PC picture editor of your choice (for new ideas & stuff, skipping the boring scanning phases)... And maybe coupled with a program more looking like SmooveDS where you could take what you were working on (on your PC) with you and show/edit it while you're in the train, or something alike, right?

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:32:11 am
Yeah that'd be more like it.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:44:33 am
This is something else entirely but... There's an interesting DS game coming out called Drawn to Life where you pixel in your character and it slaps it onto a 3D cubethingy, turning it into a playable hero for an RPG.

I was just playing on the flash demo. Made Batman and some limbless creature too. I'm not sure how intricate and accurate the actual application will be... we shall see. For one, I hope there's a tool that lets you move around the screen when you're zoomed in all the way (or I'm just missing it). It's still neat that someone finally did this.

Ugh, I tried that thing online, it's completely ridiculous  :( I wouldn't consider that game a pixel art program at all of course, because you just have to draw your character; the rest of the game plays like an adventure game.

It would be more fun if they placed a grid, I kep on missing my target.:<

Of course, it might be different with an actual DS.

This could be entertaining, and if smooveDS is good, it might actually be a reason for me to buy a DS.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 09:40:49 am
Speaking broadly on just pixelling as a function in-game, I got my wife Picross DS and it alllows you to pixel your own puzzles - 10x10, 15x15 or 20x20 - and then pixel a larger (I'd guess around 64x64) color portrait as a reveal shot. So you pixel the puzzle, the game automates the numbers, someone plays your puzzle and then when they solve it the higher-res pixel art is displayed. Fun little addition.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:04:15 am
Damn, I hadn't gotten around to playing with the custom puzzle creation feature of picross ds, but I think I'll have to give it a shot. The tools seem pretty decent on the whole. Picross is my new drug right now, sucking up way too much of my time, though I've got the 15x15's down to about 10-15 mins a piece on average.

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 05:14:29 pm
Yeah, Picross seriously is gaming crack.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:11:42 pm
100% Awesome
I had forgotten about this. Saw it a while back, but it kinda got lost due to there being no info on eventual availability. As far as I can see, the interface and toolset are fucking brilliant. You've got your standard soft brushes with variable size (optionally based on stroke velocity), opacity, for digital paints and quick sketches, and you've got your hard brushes (ie, photoshop's pencil tool) for pixelling work. Add in an easily-accessible palette, sensible use of both screens, and this thing looks like my dream portable art app.

You can download a manual for the as-yet-unavailable app to check out some of the functionality and interface features.

I've emailed the developer to enquire about the app as far as eventual availibility, etc.

Offline Ragnarok

• The long-dead armies rise again!
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 01:39:37 pm
This is something else entirely but... There's an interesting DS game coming out called Drawn to Life where you pixel in your character and it slaps it onto a 3D cubethingy, turning it into a playable hero for an RPG.

I was just playing on the flash demo. Made Batman and some limbless creature too. I'm not sure how intricate and accurate the actual application will be... we shall see. For one, I hope there's a tool that lets you move around the screen when you're zoomed in all the way (or I'm just missing it). It's still neat that someone finally did this.

Ugh, I tried that thing online, it's completely ridiculous  :( I wouldn't consider that game a pixel art program at all of course, because you just have to draw your character; the rest of the game plays like an adventure game.

It would be more fun if they placed a grid, I kep on missing my target.:<

Of course, it might be different with an actual DS.

This could be entertaining, and if smooveDS is good, it might actually be a reason for me to buy a DS.

Actually... I'm toying with the idea of being able to solve puzzles with drawings and drawing your own weapons and armour... Which would make it totally AWESOME! Please, Nintendo, please think of that...
Chaos drive... overloading... Order... failing...
GIVE IN TO THE CHAOS!