AuthorTopic: Pixelling on your DS  (Read 11731 times)

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Pixelling on your DS

on: June 17, 2007, 10:10:18 am
smooveDS
It's still in development, and I haven't gotten around to trying the now-discontinued version offered for download, but this could be rather neat. ^_^

edit:
Ha, found another one:
DSGameTools
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 10:13:29 am by LoTekK »

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Re: Pixelling on your DS

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 04:34:50 pm
I've always wanted a handheld device to do pixel art on...good thing I have a DS. This could be really cool! I just wish a big company would do something like this.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 05:18:40 pm
If this will turn out really good I might get a DS.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:15:11 pm
Hey there. I'm the author of DSGameTools ...

Since apparently some of the people here are interested in pixeling on the DS, i'd like to ask whether you think 16x16 (or 32x32) editing would still be useful for you, or if "real" pixel artists would rather prefer unrestricted painting on a screenwide surface.

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:23:24 pm
Well, the ideal thing would be being able to set the desired canvas size yourself.
16x16 sounds a bit restricting unless you are making tiles, small sprites or smileys with it (and thus limiting its uses).

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:49:32 pm
You're probably familiar with Phidias on the DS, pretty neat painting app.
Basically just need a version of Phidias where you have layers, a pencil tool, and can select part of your image, drag it round etc

I did actually pixel a bit in Phidias, you can zoom in nice and close, but since there's no pencil tool, you have to select the brush tool to 1 pixel and hold it down until the colour is solid
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:01:07 pm
you have to select the brush tool to 1 pixel and hold it down until the colour is solid

That would be a reason not to use it for me. yay for no efficiency.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:15 pm
This is something else entirely but... There's an interesting DS game coming out called Drawn to Life where you pixel in your character and it slaps it onto a 3D cubethingy, turning it into a playable hero for an RPG.

I was just playing on the flash demo. Made Batman and some limbless creature too. I'm not sure how intricate and accurate the actual application will be... we shall see. For one, I hope there's a tool that lets you move around the screen when you're zoomed in all the way (or I'm just missing it). It's still neat that someone finally did this.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:37:25 pm
This is something else entirely but... There's an interesting DS game coming out called Drawn to Life where you pixel in your character and it slaps it onto a 3D cubethingy, turning it into a playable hero for an RPG.

I was just playing on the flash demo. Made Batman and some limbless creature too. I'm not sure how intricate and accurate the actual application will be... we shall see. For one, I hope there's a tool that lets you move around the screen when you're zoomed in all the way (or I'm just missing it). It's still neat that someone finally did this.

Ugh, I tried that thing online, it's completely ridiculous  :( I wouldn't consider that game a pixel art program at all of course, because you just have to draw your character; the rest of the game plays like an adventure game.

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 07:29:47 am
I agree with Panda, no restrictions (within reasonable performance limits, of course) on canvas size would be more useful.

TakaM, Phidias is pretty neat, as was Draw before it. I enjoy digipainting random stuff on the go with it sometimes, but it's hardly efficient for pixelling. :)

I'm actually rather looking forward to Drawn to Life. It's obviously not a serious pixel art app, but then, it never claimed to be so. I don't know how well the game will play, and to be perfectly honest, the gameplay footage showed rather rudimentary skele animation, but I could totally see myself getting lost pixelling some fun characters and weapons to run around. :p