AuthorTopic: Isometric Bachelor Pad [WIP]  (Read 7620 times)

Offline poingo

• :B
    • View Profile

Isometric Bachelor Pad [WIP]

on: June 16, 2007, 08:30:40 pm
I didn't see the point in polluting the board and making another thread, so I suppose I'll just stay with this one for now.  :noob:  Earlier I tried making my bedroom in isometric perspective, and there were a lot of problems, so .TakaM suggested that I re-do the lineart.  So I've started from scratch, but this time I decided to make an entire bachelor pad, that way I'm not limited by what's in my room, but only my imagination. :D  So you will notice that there are some things that not every person might have in their house, but why not make this as awesome as possible?  As you can see, I quite like the idea of one big room, but separated by different levels.  The stick man is just so that I can make sure everything is proportionate. :P

I'll try to keep you as updated as possible, so keep checking back to see if things have changed.
I really appreciate any critiques, because I'm really trying to get good at pixeling.
Also, so that nobody gets confused, all of the posts up until my post after .TakaM are now null.

Thanks for all of your time!

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 10:45:54 pm by poingo »
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Re: My Iso Room (C&C Greatly Appreciated/Needed)

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:53 pm
Nice, you've got a Cube and a Wii. I'm quite jealous.

Back on topic, it looks pretty good. Everything is easily readable.  :) The one thing that looks off is the bed, since there are no corner posts and the pillows are completey flat. Add some wrinkles to the blanket too. Other than that, nice work.

Offline poingo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 08:56:31 pm
Nice, you've got a Cube and a Wii. I'm quite jealous.

Back on topic, it looks pretty good. Everything is easily readable.  :) The one thing that looks off is the bed, since there are no corner posts and the pillows are completey flat. Add some wrinkles to the blanket too. Other than that, nice work.

The reason that there aren't any corner posts is that there isn't any to begin with.  It's just a mattress on the floor.  In reality it's an air matress, and it's flat, so I just made a regular one.  As for the pillows, thats one thing I needed help with.  Do you know how to make iso pillows?
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 09:08:12 pm
Here's my crappy-literally-less-than-one-minute-edit of the pillow:

Way too small, but I think it gets the point across. I'll do a bigger one if you want.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:09:57 pm by Obsidian »

Offline Cow

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 09:59:34 pm
The problem I'm seeing is that everything that isn't a cube lacks depth. IE: The guitar, the wii-mote... That seems to really be an inherent problem with isometrics, really, people getting way too comfortable with cubes/circles but having trouble with more organic things (besides Adarias's nice doodle in chigsam's thread). Don't be afraid to break out of the shapes that you know and love. :)

For the pillows, I would say, use the cubes as a guideline, then 'build' them atop them...

Very quick example. There's really no formula to making pillows. :B

Anyways, keep at it, keep us updated with your process. :)

Offline poingo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 11:14:11 pm
Updated!  With more pillowy, depthy awesomeness!!! :crazy:

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 11:41:21 pm
Looking better, now just put wrinkles and imperfections in the blanket.

Offline poingo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 09:26:21 pm
Updated again.  I think I might mark it finished unless you have any big problems with it.  I decided just to leave the blanket neat and tidy.  What do you think?

Offline Obsidian

• Chemically Unstable
    • View Profile

Re: My Iso Room (Finished?)

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:05:26 pm
Sorry, but this is definitely not finished. It lacks proper shading, texture, and anti-aliasing. Don't mean to sound rude, but this really needs some more work.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Re: My Iso Room (Finished?)

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 01:53:32 am
the first issue I have is just that it doesn't look like a typical room...
I mean, a TV bigger than your bed just sitting on the floor in the corner? a bookshelf with a fish tank built into it?
I see it more like something you might see in a toy house or something, out of proportion, unrealistic furniture.
I guess this doesn't sound like an issue worth mentioning, but it's what I notice before anything else, and it's hard to look past it.

I did the lineart and some basic shading for my room quite a while ago:

I still haven't coloured it because.. isometric is boring, but I'll probably end up colouring mine to help you out
but what I'd like to suggest from you is to re-draw your room, although I think half the fun is trying to make it as realistic as possible, the real challenge with isometric is good composition
Life without knowledge is death in disguise