AuthorTopic: Weird tank  (Read 6474 times)

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Weird tank

on: June 16, 2007, 03:03:35 pm
Hello,

I invested some of my spare time in trying to improve my limited skills, so I came up with this: (updated).
Don't ask me what it is, as I don't really know :P - I can only state the obvious and say that it's some sort of funnish robot head moving on tracks.
Oh well, any comment is welcome.

Thank you,
saimo
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 04:56:21 pm by saimo »

Offline poingo

• :B
    • View Profile

Re: Weird tank

Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:04:23 pm
Cool design! It looks sort of like an owl's head!  Right now you can't really tell that it's on tracks, so maybe if you did it from a different perspective?  I really like the pallete!
The above post may not be helpful at all, as the author usually has no idea what he is talking about.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:43:27 am
Cool design! It looks sort of like an owl's head!
Glad you like it :)

Right now you can't really tell that it's on tracks, so maybe if you did it from a different perspective?
Yes, you are definitely correct. I did not think about changing the perspective, as I was rather thinking along the lines of adding a few more colors - but I did not want to... I wanted to stick to 7 colors... I guess that with a better palette and pixels arrangement it is possible to improve this aspect without increasing the color count, but I'm not good enough to do it.

I really like the pallete!
I'm quite satisfied with it as well, but I believe it could be better.
BTW: the brightest color is wrong because I uploaded the wrong picture :P The correct one is not a simple shade of gray, but has a slight yellow hue.

saimo

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 08:14:00 am
The warm-cool hue shift works nicely. Maybe you could try making the turret spin like an owl head, or just make a few key frames.

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:09:37 am
The warm-cool hue shift works nicely.
:)

Maybe you could try making the turret spin like an owl head, or just make a few key frames.
Well, at the moment I have no plans or time (and, honestly, interest :P) to animate it. Thanks for the hint, though.
However, I have an idea that should not take too long to make the tracks more recognizeable and the piece look better overall.

saimo

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:54:23 pm
Here's last (I guess final) update. I hope it is a bit more readable now.

saimo

Offline Agent green

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 02:08:51 pm
Those things above the tracks make it alot better :D

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:05:16 am
Those things above the tracks make it alot better :D
I can't understand whether you think they actually improve the piece or not... is the smiley meant to give the message a sarcastic tone (which I would have no problem with, BTW)?

saimo

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:39:42 am
Good ))
Now he is some sweet, maybe heavier?

Anyway he is nice!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 10:30:53 am
That's really well achieved, seeing as your path into pixelling is hard work, rather than talent. Your concept of shading, nice colour ramps and such is on a good level, i'd say. Also dithering is working well.

May I suggest that you polish this a bit further with, say, a bigger piece? For exampe, to take some lines from the lineart thread and color them? That way, you'll have a good opportunity to study the original lines, as well as an opportunity to get quality feedback from us, the forum members <3

You know we'll be standing by ready with the best critique and edits we can manage :D

<3

Right now all I can say is Move On! That is, if you feel like it. :]
' _ '