AuthorTopic: Black Capped Chickadee  (Read 3270 times)

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Black Capped Chickadee

on: June 15, 2007, 09:57:28 am
Taking a very short break from working on my sprite, decided to pixel a chickadee.

Far from perfect, but I don't think I really plan to do much else with it. Enjoy. :)
Love these birds, actually had one eat out of my hand a few times when I was much younger.

Edit: fixed the subject title.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 12:11:21 pm by Snippa »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Black Capped Chickadee

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:30:14 pm
It's a nice start, and it works very well, but why don't you try some AA on this one. You go from black to pure white in one step, the ideal moment to try out some AA. Look at the grays you have first. Does it need another shade? Can you create a cool ramp out of your current colors?

Create that gray ramp, and look at how you can utilize it to AA the piece. It's not much work, but it'll make this piece double as good, and help your overal progression as a pixel artist...

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 02:58:34 pm
It's a nice start, and it works very well, but why don't you try some AA on this one. You go from black to pure white in one step, the ideal moment to try out some AA. Look at the grays you have first. Does it need another shade? Can you create a cool ramp out of your current colors?

Create that gray ramp, and look at how you can utilize it to AA the piece. It's not much work, but it'll make this piece double as good, and help your overal progression as a pixel artist...
It probably could use some more shades, especially on the wings, but I don't really even want to think about attempting to make the wings or the tail look more realistic, it would just take up way too much of my time. :P
I could probably create a ramp out of the greys, as far as it being cool... lol probably not. :P

I'm not even going to pretend like I know much about AA... infact I couldn't describe AA very well to anyone without looking it up first. Pretty much all I know about it is that it is used to make things look smoother.
So here's my quick edit to smooth out the transition from black to white:

It's not really much, but it is a bit more pleasing to the eye, also shortened the back of the cap.

Offline Delgneith

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:55:20 pm
Why not post your reference and maybe we can lead you in the right direction? I don't think it'd hurt to have a background. Perhaps a sky color. Seeing as this isn't a game sprite that will be put against multiple backgrounds.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 05:57:11 am
I used this for a little referencing, of course I didn't follow it completely because there is just way too much detail. I mainly used it to make sure I got the head to look ok and to make sure that I didn't completely screw up the wings. :P
My image is more of a side view rather than following the reference view.
http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/photos/cape_cod_II/pages/black-capped%20chickadee.htm

I didn't use the branch in the photo for reference, as you can obviously see it looks nothing like it. Originally I wasn't even going to add it, but I figured it needed something to perch on.
Google has quite a few photos of chickadees if you'd like to compare my image to other photos as well: http://images.google.com/images?um=1&tab=wi&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-us&q=chickadee