AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280539 times)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #850 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:02 pm
And thats when the PS3 just lost more of its edge to the 360, soon it won't have any.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #851 on: September 12, 2007, 07:50:55 pm
And thats when the PS3 just lost more of its edge to the 360, soon it won't have any.
Well with PS3's current game line up it can't stand up against the 360 anyway :\

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #852 on: September 12, 2007, 08:00:47 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc
If you don't laugh at this kid, then your funny bone must be broken.
He's actually crying over Britney Spears...
ROFL

...and crying.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #853 on: September 12, 2007, 08:54:42 pm
that's what happens when you rely on company and brand loyalty.  Newsflash sony: the world has no sense of diplomacy in they way they handle business deals or videogame purchases.  What did xbox do?  the bought/coerced the best of everything to at least be multiplatform if not exclusive, and now everyone who can only afford one system goes for the xbox because it has the most bang for your buck even if the ps3 is technically a better machine.  Nintendo stays alive by being unique but the playstation is just an old suffering bastard and the psp not worth the purchase (wii has better games, iphone has better everything else)

sad....i love playstation
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #854 on: September 12, 2007, 10:49:36 pm
Sony has only done well with the Playstation, the thing they had with the Playstation 2 that was the best was of course, the game selection, because of this it didn't need to fight the Xbox's and Gamecube's hardware, the only thing it originally had to fight hardware-wise was Sega's last console, the Dreamcast.

I don't think Sony had planned this happening, Dreamcast dying off and two more consoles coming in about a year or so after its inital release and thus because of it being out longer, was able to have a larger game library, not only that but let's face it:
SCEA made great games(Sony's weapon for when times got rough), many game series started/continued out on the Playstation 2(Which usually implies the company will stick with the console, which was what happened, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, etc.) and the Playstation 2's controller was alot better than the other consoles' controllers and the Playstation 2's price point was great(Added many people already had a Playstation 2, so whats the point of buying a completely new system when you can just keep adding on to the one you have?)

I think Microsoft saw what happened to the Playstation 2 and I believe thats why they decided to release their console early, alot of the 360's fuckups were actually pretty small but were exploited a huge amount, they probably could have prevented this by releasing it later on but they saw their opportunity. Sony's plan for the Playstation 3  what I think was basically this(They probably planned this exact same thing out for the Playstation 2, but due to the events that happened, they ended up coming out on top):
Make the hardware top-notch, while of course this should be one of the top priorities on your list, you shouldn't have to have it so powerful that the price goes up(The hardware to me seems about the same as the 360's hardware, so why there's an extra $200 on the console is far beyond me, perhaps the 6-axis controller gimmick?), make the console itself look good-looking(By this I mean, it feels like it's a rich person's console, perhaps this was intentional so people would feel like the extra $200 would be worth it) and by just getting a bunch of really good looking flashy mediocre games together(Of course, there's also the games that will be "console-only" for the system so hard-core fans of series like Metal Gear Solid will have to get a Playstation 3).

Basically, the Playstation is all look and I have a feeling thats all it ever will be.

As for the Wii, I think the Wii is going down the same path as the Gamecube, all those 3rd-party games that were supposed to be amazing ended up being terrible or mediocre, while the 1st party games are great and the whole idea of how the gameplay works is a great idea, the game selection just isn't enough.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #855 on: September 13, 2007, 12:07:40 am
As for the Wii, I think the Wii is going down the same path as the Gamecube, all those 3rd-party games that were supposed to be amazing ended up being terrible or mediocre, while the 1st party games are great and the whole idea of how the gameplay works is a great idea, the game selection just isn't enough.

But unlike the GameCube, the Wii is a market-expansion console, so I don't think that comparison is completely valid. You never saw elderly women playing GameCubes man.

sonic_reaper

Reply #856 on: September 13, 2007, 02:07:21 am
Bengoshia:  I just want to say that spec wise, it's difficult to compare xbox360 and ps3.  They both use different technology and in different ways.  I suppose that technically if ps3 was exploited to its limit (graphically), it would definitely come on top.  However, how expensive would that be?  Ultimately, it wouldn't be worth the developer's time or money, since they wouldn't make any profit.  I think that's a fatal error of the graphics race.  You make a console so powerful to the point where it's too expensive to even bother developing for it, at least to its maximum or close, and because the hardware is so powerful, the system itself to develop for in the first place, is already expensive as is.

Also just want to add that I think the ps3 is ugly as hell.  Looks like one of those beta machines from the 80's, with that lame grey line going through the center, and the strange dome top.  We haven't seen domes in forever.  Looks so dated.  And it's actually pretty damn big and heavy.  Honestly Sony just perplexes me with the ps3.  What were they thinking?  Did we really need a console that powerful, and thus, expensive ... ?

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #857 on: September 13, 2007, 02:22:23 am
You never saw elderly women playing GameCubes man.

edit:
I just noticed now that it's actually an xbox controller she's holding......ruins the whole point of posting it :ouch:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 07:08:06 pm by Rydin »
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #858 on: September 13, 2007, 04:12:47 am
Anyone played Lair? is the gameplay really that bad? I even read about Sony sending a guide how to review the game since known gaming sites/magazines gave it a low score.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #859 on: September 13, 2007, 05:24:11 am
(Note to self: Never mention the name of a videogame console on the internet)
That said, i'd rather have Ninja Gaiden 2 for PS3 simply because it makes less noise compared to the jet-engine like 360. Plus my 360 is slowly dying... cheap ass parts to keep the cost low... as well as stripping it off useless stuff like WLAN and selling it as a $100 add-on. Clever yes, do i find it amusing? No, my wallet is angry at 360 for hiding the costs. Otherwise i fancy all the consoles and hope none of them drop out.

@Froli.
Seems like they released Lair unfinished and broken.. too bad. Going to give it a try anyhoo.

Tried thinking of a good excuse to post this picture, but couldn't come up with anything...

Mah new toy...mmm....