AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280748 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #730 on: September 05, 2007, 11:37:40 pm
I went to the dentist a lot. My teeth have no enamel so I get a lot of cavities and such, I had to go like once a week for 2 months before. Most painful thing was apparently a couple of my teeth had crossed nerves, so while they thought they numbed the nerves on the tooth they were going to drill, they actually numbed another tooth. So he started drilling, ow. He just thought it hadn't kicked in, so he dosed the tooth some more, waited and tried again. Ow again, repeat another time. He finally concluded that the nerves were 'wired wrong' and concluded I had to go through it without anesthetics.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #731 on: September 05, 2007, 11:52:17 pm
Didn't he suggest a general anesthetic?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #732 on: September 06, 2007, 12:23:22 am
oh god, the worst place I've ever been jabbed was just my gums at the dentist, and that's pretty standard.. it felt like the needle went completely through my gums, hard to tell though since they were already pretty numb..
Hah, I just had that today, didn't feel a thing, you're too paranoid about needles man.
I'm not really paranoid, I've probably been jabbed in the gums a dozen times, but that one time, it really felt like it went through to the inside of my mouth- up against my tongue ???

how bout sum character desing?

chains.. elbow shields, pizza slice sword... ...  :crazy:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:44:17 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #733 on: September 06, 2007, 12:26:41 am
Quote from: Lawrence
Didn't he suggest a general anesthetic?
Couldn't, he already drugged me up enough, was scared of over-dosing.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #734 on: September 06, 2007, 12:56:15 am
how bout sum character desing?

chains.. elbow shields, pizza slice sword... ...  :crazy:
I love motivational posters!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #735 on: September 06, 2007, 02:01:48 am
FFTA really does just go to show that just because it's from well-respected artists doesn't means its good :(

Seriously, if rules of design are meant to be broken, than this is the most appropriate design ever.  otherwise it's garbage >.<

I don't think it's too out-of-line to say "should this be here?"  Posting in an area with certain assumptions are made about the origins of a piece should be moderated to ensure that those assumptions are true - there are other places to post ripped garbage.

the thing about sab's pieces is that it was totally chill, he mentioned my work in the first post, and he had my implied (and by now, expressed) permission to go at it.  no need for a fuss?  there's a little bit of inquisitorial "explain yourself immediately!" that could possibly be avoided by just asking around first.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 02:07:56 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #736 on: September 06, 2007, 03:40:03 am
I enjoy that character design parody. Enough with the cool accessories already. What would the character wear in their world that makes sense according to what they need and what they do. Enough fashion show.

sonic_reaper

Reply #737 on: September 06, 2007, 03:50:18 am
The common trend here and in many other message boards seems to be to bash the current mainstream Japanese-origin artists.  This has nothing to do with their personal style, so much as their origin.  What I've observed, and I'll use Square as an example is a constant stream of extremely negative criticism centered towards the in-house artwork, regardless of the artist.  For every positive remark, there's boatloads of negative.  And the negative comments don't seem particularly well grounded.  I remember someone from this board critiquing Sephiroth's design.  This person (I can't remember their name, sorry) gave some clear and well-thought criticisms, such as Sephiroth having way too high of a waist, and his rediculously large sword creating a sort of off-balance with regards to his center of weight and gravity.  However, simply saying a piece of artwork sucks because there are too many accessories doesn't tell me much.  I don't think the FFTA2 is particularly bad.  It's centered towards a younger audience, and thus, is fun, playful and imaginative (as is expressed by the assortment of accessories, the child-like herioc poses, and the vibrant color choices).  Anyway, I don't want to get too deep into this as I don't have time at the moment, but I'm getting pretty tired of all this non-stop bashing of Japanese-origin artists.  Western artists seem to get all the praise, for whatever reason, and in much the same blinded manner.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #738 on: September 06, 2007, 04:03:35 am
helm - parody nothing, that's official art for the next game.

If you can't see the design flaws immediately, i suggest you read a few more books or ask a fashion student.  I'm not going to give an in-depth critique of something posted in general discourse by an artist I will never speak to, but watch it with your "you all are unfounded" nonsense.

a few things off the top of my head

the same massive legs characteristic of nearly all their work
vague color cohesion - the green doesn't draw from the blue, nor the red from the yellow, and the repetition is sparse and unbalanced.  Red hat wtf?  where is THAT justified?  Also, a green clover pin does not balance a massive green mess of fabric.
little cohesion of forms - "circle" doesn't cut it as a motif, and the rest of things don't even try to agree.  there's frayed with clean cut, tight with loose, open with hemmed, and none of them in ways that complement each other.  If you are going to include dichotomies within a character they have to support each other, not conflict!*  Disjointedness leads to disaster!
massive imbalance of accessories creates visual weight and awkwardness.  there's playfully overbalanced and then there's painfully overbalanced, and this one clearly reaches into painful.

* except in a small number of cases where conflict defines the character, HOWEVER all character designs are much better when they promote the idea of a single identity tormented or otherwise.  Characters with visual conflicts will always suffer from having multiple identities.

edit - I'm also confused as to where you ever got the idea of race as a leading factor.  There is a lot of garbage in western art that simply isn't popular.  The fact that bad anime is constantly over-hyped is the only reason it has a tendency to be taken down a peg.  Anyone who blindly praises western artists is in for it too, and always has been.  If such were the topic of conversation, we could start some very big flame sessions of popular artists, as well as some very wide debates over others.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 04:07:57 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #739 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:42 am
Who the hell wears that much? Honestly, it just feels all cluttered and shit(More than anime usually is). Back in the old days not every character design was covered with all this bull, I mean, honestly, look at Cloud's design:

Simple, yet, we know him, when we see him we know thats Cloud(Or take any other character from the game), characters looked different and god dammit man, you could tell one from another. Christ man, Cloud had a huge sword, but this new dork's sword is humongous, hell, he has two swords, a spell book and he looks totally unfit to even carry this shit and he's wearing high heels for christ's sake. Cloud probably carried a small bag of materia with some potions and ethers aswell and then his giant sword, that actually looked possible to carry but this kid, what the hell? With this kid, you gotta imagine he'll be running around and fighting hell loads(He's like, what? 11?), these characters seem to get younger and younger and tend to carry more shit. Enix is gay, stop playing the same games, Final Fantasy is dead, go play like, Half-life 2 or Bioshock, FPS games with stories ftw. I have no clue, gonna go somewhere else now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 12:51:12 pm by bengoshia »