AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280099 times)

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #680 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:56 pm
I knew a guy (Around 40) who had been smoking pot quite regularly since he was 13, and um... He acted like a thirteen year old.
Seriously. He'd laugh when he farted and most of what he did all day was play videogames. Or just stare at a wall with his jaw hanging down for an hour.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #681 on: August 30, 2007, 06:51:04 pm
The guy sounds like he's mentally challenged, not so much the pot effecting him. And if so....ouch.
my back hurts...

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #682 on: August 30, 2007, 07:41:51 pm
I don't understand how "all drugs are inherently bad". That's like saying money is evil because it causes a lot of problems. Not all drugs are used for recreation, and sometimes one can  save a life. Morphine, oxycontin, percocet, aderall, benzedrine, seconal, THC, etc. can alter perception or behavior, but that doesn't make them "bad" by nature. The intent means the difference between proper use and abuse.

Like most psychologically addicting things, weed can become a crutch. Some of my friends who smoke became potheads, and others not. I've also seen friends (who never touched the stuff) drop out of school or lose a job because they spent all their time playing Counterstrike or WoW. To me it seems more of matter of discipline and moderation than the actual pastime in question. Of course, the same can't be said for physically addictive substances (caffeine, heroin, etc).

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #683 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:59 pm
THANKS BIG BROTHER, YOU'RE AN AWSOME PERSON!

I myself am a pothead... it has been a crutch just as much as it has been inspiring.
like BB said, it's just a matter of will power to not smoke every day and all day.
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #684 on: August 30, 2007, 08:59:47 pm
Interestingly enough, there are those who believe that smoking marijuana will turn you into a couch dwelling, video game playing, junkie. I believe that to be a serious misconception derived from what you were taught to believe. That's not to say people like that don't exist but, it might have more to do with their own personality and wants/needs than it does with marijuana.

Having instant happyness just a joint away is a power I wouldn't even trust myself with. You don't become a couch dwelling junkie because THE DEVIL'S WEED made you do it, but because you might be a weak person with a highly dangerous shortcut to happiness.

In a similar manner, if we had a 'delete my life now' button on our desks with gave us a quick painless way out towards oblivion, a lot of people when they hit lows and depressions would be pressing like hell. That suicide is a more gruesome action than it is an impulse has saved many lives by people on the edge. This doesn't mean that that because they didn't have the button their life was better, but it means that the means were not readily available for an action in the midst of passion saved their life right there.

Similarly, a lot of people can't cope with their life and the first thing their hands do when they hit a bad situation is roll up a joint. This is a bad thing is all I'm saying. One should distance himself from artifical, easy means to happiness and instead focus on building a life that is deeply fulfilling.

Offline OzBlueShoes

• View Profile

Reply #685 on: August 30, 2007, 09:25:27 pm
Helm makes a great point.

I don't care if my friends do it, or people I know do it, but it's just not for me.

I figure if I never drink or smoke weed, yeah, I'll never be high or drunk, but I'll never have a problem with it either.

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #686 on: August 30, 2007, 09:35:20 pm
Have you ever smoked weed Helm?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #687 on: August 30, 2007, 09:44:58 pm
I've done a lot of things.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #688 on: August 30, 2007, 09:51:19 pm
Have you ever smoked weed Helm?

Quote from: Helm
I've done a lot of things.

there's a politicians answer if ever i've seen one :P

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #689 on: August 30, 2007, 09:52:45 pm
Having instant happyness just a joint away is a power I wouldn't even trust myself with. You don't become a couch dwelling junkie because THE DEVIL'S WEED made you do it, but because you might be a weak person with a highly dangerous shortcut to happiness.

This is a good observation, but I wouldn't call it "instant happiness". You've probably been a "happy drunk" before, but that doesn't mean a few pints of Guinness become a shortcut to instantly make you happy (perhaps a bad example). More than anything, it's escapism. Some people become couch-dwelling potsmokers while others bury themselves in science fiction novels, roleplaying, or video games. You can let almost anything take over your life.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 09:55:21 pm by big brother »