AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280031 times)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #650 on: August 29, 2007, 05:46:05 pm
I only drink Guinness (and Murphys when they don't have guinness) because it's A FULL NUTRITIOUS MEAL IN A GLASS and I never get drunk on it. It's just something I enjoy, taste-wise.

Consuming alcohol in any form dehydrates your body, inhibits protein synthesis, lowers testosterone while increasing estrogen levels, reduces your body's ability to metabolize fat, and promotes catabolism. These effects aren't the results of a heavy binge, either. They can be measured considerably after the consumption of two drinks.

Drink it for fun or because you enjoy the taste, but don't pretend it's beneficial. Those empty calories are a sad replacement for a meal.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #651 on: August 29, 2007, 06:43:06 pm
Belated disclaimer: Helm does not actually think that drinks can substitute food.

Suddenly, I want a Dr Pepper... I must admit that I AM a sugar addict. Weakness is me. Cannot resist... Well, I can today, I've already had a bunch of chocolate. But I still miss the taste of my Dr Pepper... it's not just the sugar, it's the taste. When I'm in the mood for Dr Pepper, even a pint of Pepsi won't get me out of it. It's the taste that does it...

Actually, I'm in the mood for pizza, too. Damn, maybe I should eat something.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #652 on: August 29, 2007, 07:06:34 pm
   I used to be  a Dr. Pepper MONGER when I was younger. I grew out of it, though. It's funny, because now, I hardly ever drink cokes, or eat chocolate. I've developed a strange habit of eating carrots EVERYDAY, as well as banannas. Not for nutrition, mind you, but just cause I enjoy em'. I still thoroughly enjoy meaty foods, though(please don't let this be side tracked into a heated debate over vegitarians and carnivores...). Just not much of a sugar fan as I used to be.
    If anything, though, I friggin' miss my Mom's Mexican home cooking. Ooh, and pizza. Haven't had that in a while. Damn, my mouth is watering. Rox, you bastard. ...
my back hurts...

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #653 on: August 29, 2007, 07:25:19 pm
Drink it for fun or because you enjoy the taste, but don't pretend it's beneficial.

A bit of wine each day is actually healthy. And the estrogen thing is not for all sorts of alcohol I think, but deffo for beer.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #654 on: August 29, 2007, 07:45:31 pm
i know all the bad points about drinking and smoking and drugs... but tbh you only live once, might aswell enjoy it whilst your here.

God made grass, man made beer.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #655 on: August 29, 2007, 07:52:08 pm
I find beer rather.. unenjoyable and lonesome, unless with company.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #656 on: August 29, 2007, 07:52:42 pm
I only drink Guinness (and Murphys when they don't have guinness) because it's A FULL NUTRITIOUS MEAL IN A GLASS and I never get drunk on it. It's just something I enjoy, taste-wise.

Consuming alcohol in any form dehydrates your body, inhibits protein synthesis, lowers testosterone while increasing estrogen levels, reduces your body's ability to metabolize fat, and promotes catabolism. These effects aren't the results of a heavy binge, either. They can be measured considerably after the consumption of two drinks.

Drink it for fun or because you enjoy the taste, but don't pretend it's beneficial. Those empty calories are a sad replacement for a meal.

Hehe yes, I'm not really serious about FULL NUTRITIOUS MEAL.

i know all the bad points about drinking and smoking and drugs... but tbh you only live once, might aswell enjoy it whilst your here.

God made grass, man made beer.

Enjoy your life, but keep in mind that if you do some things, you're doing them in place of other things you could be doing that you would enjoy more, possibly. Maintaining a lifestyle that allows for drug abuse will create problems for you in the long run. And I don't mean like, straight-ahead medical ones, you might just end up a deadbeat that smokes pot and plays videogames all day. If this is your idea of what you should do in your only live once life, I suggest you rethink it through. Aren't you like 17 to begin with?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:01:31 pm by Helm »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #657 on: August 29, 2007, 08:31:47 pm
A bit of wine each day is actually healthy. And the estrogen thing is not for all sorts of alcohol I think, but deffo for beer.

Because ethanol (a cellular toxin) is present in any form of alcohol we consume, wine is just as guilty as beer is. Gynecomastria is a proven symptom of long-term drinking (aromatization of androgens to estrogens). Although it may take you years to develop bitch tits, the alcohol affects your testosterone levels immediately. In men, the body will try to replenish testosterone by releasing Luteinizing Hormone. This is ultimately ineffective, since the depletion occurs at the cellular level, not the glandular. However, the LH will make you horny. Now IF wine somehow did not affect your hormones, then drinking it won't make you horny. This sounds like an experiment we can try at home!   

The argument has been that wine (and beer) provides you with a dose of antioxidants. However, you can get these by a lot of other ways without the deleterious effects of alcohol. Not to sound like someone's mom, but fruits, veggies, fish...

Helm, I will pay more attention to the CAPS in the future. Missed the intentional hyperbole.

As far as weed goes, Penn & Teller had a good point: in the US, approximately 50,000 people die every year from alcohol poisoning; 500,000 from cigarettes. In the history of mankind, there is no record of anyone ever dying from marijuana (laced shit doesn't count and is a by-product of the quality control loss in a black market). Of course that doesn't mean it's good for you, just an indicator that we might be fighting the wrong thing.

Isn't caffeine the most commonly abused and addictive drug known to man?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #658 on: August 29, 2007, 09:01:21 pm
I don't think hashish kills people (nor does anyone sane I hope), I think it has symptoms which when applied to a lot of lifestyles, leads to their long-term degradation. I've known promising people who had this or that propensity towards easy living who eventually became weedeaters, that's all they did all day.

This is not an argument for or contra making it legal, it's an argument against its use. Cigarettes are legal but I don't think anyone should smoke either.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #659 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:38 pm
Enjoy your life, but keep in mind that if you do some things, you're doing them in place of other things you could be doing that you would enjoy more, possibly. Maintaining a lifestyle that allows for drug abuse will create problems for you in the long run. And I don't mean like, straight-ahead medical ones, you might just end up a deadbeat that smokes pot and plays videogames all day. If this is your idea of what you should do in your only live once life, I suggest you rethink it through. Aren't you like 17 to begin with?

yeah im 17, an' loving it.  btw im not a hardcore drug user - just now and then.  some people think im a bit of an alcoholic but i could quit drinking if i wanted to.  i dont think life through, the whole point of life is to see how it goes, everything happens for a reason.  if i am meant to end up a crack-whore then i will but i sincerely hope life has something better planned out for me.