AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280757 times)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #620 on: August 26, 2007, 07:58:53 pm
Actually I prefer to use my keyboard for cave story. That way I get to use my Left Middle Finger of Mashing Doom to kill the bosses in no time :]

Otherwise than that, playing with a gamepad is nice :D
' _ '

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #621 on: August 27, 2007, 12:18:25 am
can you uh spot the not O_o
It's terrible, Frank! My father died the same way... (From crappy game-porting ideas, that is)

I mean, seriously, how could that not upset the balance? Have a team of 5 Gafgarions at the beginning of chapter 2?

you can be level 99 before chapter 2, the game is not balanced
it jumps between way too easy
and stupidly hard
based on certain qualities of the engine

i was rather referring to how out of style the sprite was, it sticks out like a sore thumb, a sore thumb with a very flat head.
the onion knight fits relatively well, if it's not a bit bright.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #622 on: August 27, 2007, 05:03:34 pm

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #623 on: August 27, 2007, 09:36:59 pm
Lots of metroid reviews have been rolling out, and gametrailers has just finished their retrospective of the franchise:
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5261.html

I'm really dreading when gamespot puts up their review, shall we place bets? I'm thinking an 8.4/10

edit-
and the gamespot review is in, 8.5/10 for Prime 3 :P classic gamespot, such idiots..
they also gave Super Metroid an 8.5/10, their justification was "Nintendo waited 13 years to let us play Super Metroid again." :crazy: :y:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:19:34 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #624 on: August 27, 2007, 10:01:52 pm
Reading Festival was the dogs bollocks,  never smoked so much weed in 5 days before!

seriously reccomend it to anyone, just a great exerience - so much so i hardly noticed i was away from the interwebz :p

Offline am_pm

• Lurker supreme
    • View Profile

Reply #625 on: August 27, 2007, 10:26:21 pm
Actually I prefer to use my keyboard for cave story. That way I get to use my Left Middle Finger of Mashing Doom to kill the bosses in no time :]

Otherwise than that, playing with a gamepad is nice :D

I dunno, it's just more fluid with a gamepad. It reminds me so much of the classic NES games. I love it!

It makes me want to make a sidescrolling RPG. Maybe a Hack and Slash. That would be cool. But it would also be Castlevania. Oh well.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #626 on: August 28, 2007, 09:13:35 am
and the gamespot review is in, 8.5/10 for Prime 3 :P classic gamespot, such idiots..

Huh? Is Corruption better than that? Doesn't look it to me. I had high hopes in the beginning, but the more they showed the less I want it. I actually dare say I still have no reason to buy a Wii. In the beginning, it was Zelda and Red Steel. However, I've never bought a Zelda game in my life, so that I didn't do it this time is no surprise. Red Steel turned out mediocre. Then Prime and SSBB remained. SSBB will be great, but not great enough for me to buy a console for, especially when I have no friends to play it with. And Prime, like I said, has lost more and more of its appeal to me.

Besides, 8.5 is WAY above avarage. On Gamespot's scale, I find anything above 7 buy-worthy at full price, as long as it's not a genre I happen to hate. The bad points seem fair, too. Score reduced because it feel less adventurous and more of an action game (something I've been worrying about all the time), it's too similar to the previous games (something I hated about Echoes, half of the enemies were just remakes of Prime enemies, and the level design was similar - but worse), and some context-sensitive stuff doesn't work very well. Seem like fair points to me.

However, it got more of those good "badge" type thingies than any other game I've seen since Gamespot redesigned their system. It got awards for awesome bosses, sharp controls (a first on the Wii), outstanding visual design, and great sequel. And the review even states that if you like Metroid, you WILL buy Corruption, you have no reason not to. I don't know how you can call that a bad review. How does that make the editor an idiot?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #627 on: August 28, 2007, 10:36:06 am
the thing is, gamespot does a terrible job at reviewing games.. I've had to defend myself too much today regarding this, so forgive me if I don't sound enthused.
gamespot gave warioware (wii) a 9.1/10
It looked to be a decent game, I definitely wasn't going to buy it, and it definitely doesn't look better than metroid.
gamespot gave the RE4 remake a 9.1/10
A remake of a gamecube game that offered absolutely nothing new except wii controls.
Metroid Prime 3 is one of the biggest games of the year, especially for nintendo fans, it's been built from the ground up specifically for the Wii, and they still somehow managed to list the intuitive and immersive controls as a con because they make the game "too easy"

I don't really have a problem with gamespot's score, but it's the fact their reviews are constantly 10% off the norm, usually in the opposite direction of others and they never explain intelligently why.
And because they're still "a good score" people consider gamespot just as relevant and totally look past their sloppy, retarded, nonsensical review, simply because the score is "still a good score"

Look at the super metroid review, a game that is no stranger to top ten lists and has claimed the #1 spot more than once, they also gave it an 8.5 simply because nintendo waited 13 years to port it.
Is that a con?
if nintendo did port the game to GBA or DS, you can bet gamespot would've docked 6 points off because they didn't want a port.
they make no sense, and just because their scores are "still good" does not mean I'm going to look past it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:18:29 pm by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #628 on: August 28, 2007, 06:52:10 pm
Heh, we're complete opposites, then. I've had to defend Gamespot, because so far they've only had TWO reviews I've ever disagreed with. They're usually exactly in tune with my own opinion.

I can't comment on those examples, except for RE4, which I don't doubt is one of the, if not the best game available for the Wii right now. It's a completely amazing game, even if it's just a straight port with new controls, that still makes it a completely amazing game - if maybe a bit older than the first time it showed up.

He never said the controls make it too easy, he meant they seem to make it more of an action game than an adventure game. The first Prime made it very obvious it's not an FPS because it didn't use the dual thumbstick control scheme. No need for precise aiming, more focus on tactics in battles, and exploration outside of them. That little nuance is gone in Corruption. I think that's what he wanted to point out. I do hear it's much more action oriented than the previous games, and less exploration based.

Gamespot's reviews are constantly 10% off the norm? Compared to what? The only sites I actually look at for serious reviews are IGN and Gamespot, and IGN seem to score good games even higher and bad games even lower. Gamespot are extremely good at avoiding handing out perfect ratings. IGN is worse at that. IGN are also much better at focusing so much on minor flaws in games that they consistently forget to mention some of the good things. Gamespot, in my opinion, make it perfectly clear exactly what's good and what's less good about every game they've reviewed lately. That, in combination with the score, paints a really clear picture to me. You shouldn't just go by the score alone, it's more of a compliment to the review itself.

Super Metroid you say? 8.5 seems right to me. Well, I might prefer it a bit closer to 9. Say... 8.8 or something like that. Why, what'd you rate it? Without being blinded by nostalgia, of course. I couldn't, I played Super Metroid for the first time a mere three years ago. I remember finding it too easy, actually, very uninteresting enemies, and extremely strange, floaty controls that took me hours to get used to. Seriously. However, it IS still one of the best exploration based games, the art is great and the music is fantastic. So 8.8 seems fine to me.

Offline Ornust

• Nooblet. ;_;
    • View Profile

Reply #629 on: August 28, 2007, 10:46:07 pm
I suppose if you love the Metroid series, you would be inclined to buy Corruption and/or rate it an extremely high number.

In other news, my PC stopped booting up, so I won't be making a fool of myself for a while.  I'm typing this on my Wii. Auto Dictionary for the win.
The Newbie's Newb.