AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277462 times)

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #550 on: August 15, 2007, 03:46:42 am
still pissed about this haha http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.msg58155#msg58155 was up till 3am last night browsing around trying to find out more :(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #551 on: August 15, 2007, 03:59:25 am
Haha, somebody charges people to teach them to dress up dolls? Oh well, if people want to pay, I guess okay...

About her ripping you off, it's a bit difficult a situation to resolve. Ripping is easy to deal with when you 'control the environment'. Like here in Pixelation, you just talk to a mod and it's taken care off very quickly. When the environment is the internet by-and-large, it's not that easy. If push comes to shove you could contact that person's ISP and explain the situation and ask her website to be taken down or whatnot, but there's no telling if they'll agree with you or their paying customer as the legality of this whole thing is up to anyone's judgement. It might seem clear-cut to you but it's not, really.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #552 on: August 15, 2007, 04:26:22 am
What's not clearcut about someone taking your work and re-selling it without your persmission >_> They even have a copyright disclaimer of their own on the site that says they're protected under US laws...nothing about International copyright laws ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #553 on: August 15, 2007, 04:40:16 am
Internet legal disputes over copyright most of all are very difficult to persue. Read up on the subject if you desire... it'll discourage you.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #554 on: August 15, 2007, 05:49:24 am
That sucks...:( I'll see if I have any lawyer friends that know about do's and don'ts for internet related copyright to begin with I think.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #555 on: August 15, 2007, 06:21:01 am
Dude, it's not a big deal, the point of your website is to help people, their sites are doing the same, the only thing I see wrong is no credit taking place, even with that you're taking it too far.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #556 on: August 15, 2007, 06:37:27 am
I wouldn't say just credit would be taking it too far, rather that's the least I would do. I wouldn't want someone else to take credit for my work.

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #557 on: August 15, 2007, 07:21:29 am
Dude, it's not a big deal, the point of your website is to help people, their sites are doing the same, the only thing I see wrong is no credit taking place, even with that you're taking it too far.

They are CHARING people $25 for the 6 week pixel course which is basically just my free tutorial. There's something wrong right there. They might be helping people by showing them the tutorial and that's fine, as long as I'm receiving credit where due. But they aren't, they making a profit from it, which is what shits me.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #558 on: August 15, 2007, 08:47:46 am
RhysD - I had some stupid ideas:

Are you able to make a website that would turn up on google whenever people did a search for the site that is charging 25$? Somehow use certain keywords to try to redirect them to your free tutorial? Or maybe put your tutorial on Wikipedia.

Have you informed the owners of that website? Perhaps there are a number of courses run by different people. They might remove that course to protect their company's reputation.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline RhysD

• View Profile
    • RhysD.com

Reply #559 on: August 15, 2007, 08:52:28 am
I will be informing the owners of the website as soon as I can compose a well-reading e-mail ;) I'm not really great with words so it's probably going to take me all of tonight hehe.