AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277374 times)

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #430 on: July 15, 2007, 03:28:00 pm
No offense against the creator of this piece, but in my opinion the fact that http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58578233/ was featured shows that nothing will change at deviantart (Especially if you look at the comments).
I agree with lollige that deviantart is an advertisement platfrom for artists. It doesn't help you in any way to get better.
Thats the only one who didnt deserve it in my opinion.. It seems to be hard to find nice pixels. but if you guys join it will be alot easyer to select better DD's.

Offline Evil-Ville

• :))))))))))):
    • View Profile

Reply #431 on: July 15, 2007, 03:34:15 pm
Atleast that's actual pixel art. Last time I visited DA the pixel art section was filled with sonic sprite comics.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #432 on: July 15, 2007, 03:57:21 pm
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59792670/ I was looking around and found alot of similar crap like this, how is this iso-metric pixel art? How is this even pixel art? Deviantart fails again.....

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #433 on: July 15, 2007, 04:20:17 pm
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59792670/ I was looking around and found alot of similar crap like this, how is this iso-metric pixel art? How is this even pixel art? Deviantart fails again.....

Did you know, that everyday alot of NPA is submitted on PJ too? and that there is also alot of stuff under Isometric, whats not iso?
And the npa cant be found that easy cos your pixel art is watched by alot of moderators, who reject everything thats not NPA..
on DA you can submit what you want, and it has to be removed afterwards.. but I can make shure this piece is not in pixel art any more in 1 or 2 days.. cos I have reported shone its a miscat, and she removes alot of it every day... But she is sort of the only moderator there..
With your help, she can do it alot faster, and you are like a second moderator.. that way NPA can be removed way faster.. its not DA's fault that people submit NPA.. and those noobs just dont know better, and we should teach them its no pixel art..
So please help her removing thinks like that, join DA, click report policiy violation and select miscategory, and she will remove it...
Im doing this now for 2 days long,and its hard work but allmost all the submissions of those 2 days are allmost clean.. and if every1 would do this, every day can be clean.. :)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #434 on: July 15, 2007, 04:47:32 pm
Well, I really don't care if the humans feel realistic to me or not, the real question is: Is it fun to play? For the recent 3D Metroid's, I gotta say it's mediocre(Just like Halo, srsly guys, it's nothing special), then again I mean everyone feels the need to go 3D since that is the big thing right now but just because it's 3D doesn't mean it's better, ya know? Hopefully someday 2D might come back into the scene(already has in a way, note Xbox Live Arcade and with Nintendo's Wii and you being able to buy old retro games).
Still well alive on the handhelds.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #435 on: July 15, 2007, 09:38:06 pm

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #436 on: July 16, 2007, 11:19:45 am
I would really appreciate some feedback on an issue that has recently surfaced in my game; Twinsen.
I'll just copy over part of my blog entry:
Cocopuffs and I had a pretty long debate over the health in Twinsen just now, I'll try to sum it up:
Currently, bushes drop clovers of health about 10% of the time, whether you need it or not.
What I'd prefer is that the bushes always drop health if you have been hurt.
Cocopuffs would prefer having set bushes that leave a clover once, whether you need it or not.

The idea behind my solution, is that it allows different styles of play, simply- stock up on health, or don't.
This would be good for bosses, have one bush in the room that you can always rely on, you just have to wait for it to grow back.
Say you're versing the boss, and he's kicking your ass. You just figured out how to beat him, but you're too low on health to risk attacking him. So you can focus on avoiding his attacks, collect some health and then fight back.

Cocopuffs doesn't like this because he feels it makes the game too easy overall, and removes a lot of the challenge for those who aren't worried about every enemy, and don't feel they need to stock up on health.
I can see where he's coming from, that the skilled players will be rather annoyed that some noob has managed to finish the same game as them.
He believes those players will feel less rewarded, or perhaps cheated that their efforts went by unappreciated.

I really don't think that's the issue.. As much as I want the game to be challenging, I want it to be accessible more.
I want to leave the challenge up to the player, there are already several options presented to you in the game, you don't have to run, you don't have to string together combos, you don't even have to kill enemies... This is just one more option.

I think decisions like this should be left up to the player.
Even if they may not be as good as some others, but they want to kill everything, to try and string together some combos - they can, and they can feel safe in knowing the health is always there for them.
And on the other hand, if you really want to challenge yourself, just don't stop and chop down bushes if you're low on health, unless of course you think you need it.

so please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

edit-
cocopuffs solution:
Figure, I might as well post my side of my side, instead of you hearing my side from Taka, even though he did a decent job explaining it.

I say if you play it safe, kill enemies from a distance, let them come to you, you won't be hurt often at all. There will be (should be) enough health scattered around the level to make it so if you're playing safe health is not an issue.
But as a downside to playing like this, you won't get points from trying to link together combos, and will end up with a lower score. But you can still beat the main game.

On the other hand, if you're after a higher score, you can play the game dangerously by trying to like combos together. In which case you will get hurt more often, and will probably die more often. If you find this is too hard, you can always play it safe any time, it's not like there's too paths set in stone.
Of course, the pro to playing dangerously is that you get a higher score, and with that some extras here and there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 11:39:07 am by .TakaM »
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline shonegold

• View Profile

Reply #437 on: July 16, 2007, 01:50:58 pm
Hello all!

Nice to see a discussion about dA and Pixel Art here. I am now the new Gallery Director for Pixel Art at deviantArt. It has been incredibly neglected for a very long time. I don't go there as an expert, I go there with a passion for Pixel Art.

At any time of the night or day if you go to dA you are always likely to find miscats in the galleries as the various servers upgrade the site and drop in new work into the system.

It is receiving submissions 24 hours a day. I am spending around 4 -5 hours a day moving miscats from the galleries and responding to people as to why their work was moved because after all, they made it in paint with pixels so therefore it must be Pixel Art!! Then I do another 5-6 hours on other dA related stuff, like choosing a Pixel Art DD award everyday not just once in a while, reading everyones' new Journals, looking through the new works, answering PMs, attending online meetings with staff, liasing with other pixel artists and so on. This I do seven days a week. Oh I should add, I am doing it for the love of Pixel Art, I am a volunteer and don't receive any financial reward for my work.

dA have thousands of people looking at the Daily Deviations everyday and with persistence and dedication Pixel Art will find its place in the artistic spotlight and become a well represented and respected art form. As this happens so to will the reduction of miscats in the Galleries as people become more familiar with it.

It can be done, it will be done and if you think your work can stand up to the scrutiny of thousands, join us and strut your stuff at dA.

If you are already there and I am not watching you, please note me and I will start to watch you in anticipation of a potential DD.

Here is the link to my page....ShoneGold

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #438 on: July 16, 2007, 05:37:13 pm
4 -5 hours a day moving miscats [...] Then I do another 5-6 hours on other dA related stuff

You spend 10 hours a day on average on deviantArt upkeep and you're not getting paid for this?

edit: and sorry, here's my point of view:

dA have thousands of people looking at the Daily Deviations everyday and with persistence and dedication Pixel Art will find its place in the artistic spotlight and become a well represented and respected art form. As this happens so to will the reduction of miscats in the Galleries as people become more familiar with it.

Pixel art doesn't need to be visible in DA to be a respected art form. It wouldn't even help. Critical acclaim and art community respect is a nebulous thing, with even more nebulous benefits, and it certainly is not to be persued in a meatshop like DA. Good luck on your job.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #439 on: July 16, 2007, 08:19:15 pm
I would really appreciate some feedback on an issue that has recently surfaced in my game; Twinsen.
I'll just copy over part of my blog entry:
Cocopuffs and I had a pretty long debate over the health in Twinsen just now, I'll try to sum it up:
Currently, bushes drop clovers of health about 10% of the time, whether you need it or not.
What I'd prefer is that the bushes always drop health if you have been hurt.
Cocopuffs would prefer having set bushes that leave a clover once, whether you need it or not.

The idea behind my solution, is that it allows different styles of play, simply- stock up on health, or don't.
This would be good for bosses, have one bush in the room that you can always rely on, you just have to wait for it to grow back.
Say you're versing the boss, and he's kicking your ass. You just figured out how to beat him, but you're too low on health to risk attacking him. So you can focus on avoiding his attacks, collect some health and then fight back.

Cocopuffs doesn't like this because he feels it makes the game too easy overall, and removes a lot of the challenge for those who aren't worried about every enemy, and don't feel they need to stock up on health.
I can see where he's coming from, that the skilled players will be rather annoyed that some noob has managed to finish the same game as them.
He believes those players will feel less rewarded, or perhaps cheated that their efforts went by unappreciated.

I really don't think that's the issue.. As much as I want the game to be challenging, I want it to be accessible more.
I want to leave the challenge up to the player, there are already several options presented to you in the game, you don't have to run, you don't have to string together combos, you don't even have to kill enemies... This is just one more option.

I think decisions like this should be left up to the player.
Even if they may not be as good as some others, but they want to kill everything, to try and string together some combos - they can, and they can feel safe in knowing the health is always there for them.
And on the other hand, if you really want to challenge yourself, just don't stop and chop down bushes if you're low on health, unless of course you think you need it.

so please, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

edit-
cocopuffs solution:
Figure, I might as well post my side of my side, instead of you hearing my side from Taka, even though he did a decent job explaining it.

I say if you play it safe, kill enemies from a distance, let them come to you, you won't be hurt often at all. There will be (should be) enough health scattered around the level to make it so if you're playing safe health is not an issue.
But as a downside to playing like this, you won't get points from trying to link together combos, and will end up with a lower score. But you can still beat the main game.

On the other hand, if you're after a higher score, you can play the game dangerously by trying to like combos together. In which case you will get hurt more often, and will probably die more often. If you find this is too hard, you can always play it safe any time, it's not like there's too paths set in stone.
Of course, the pro to playing dangerously is that you get a higher score, and with that some extras here and there.
Like Cocopuff's solution. I believe Zelda does this, having pots and bushes around the outskirts of a boss-room that always drop health, but once you run out of bushes,  :blind:.
It doesn't make it too hard, as long as you've got five or so health-bushes just chillin' around, but it still keeps that risk. I mean, what, where's the fun in beating a boss that should've been hard when you know you can't die, pretty much, or get through an area that should be hard and intimidating but isn't because alls ya gotta do is find some bushes and chop-chop-chop, full health! You don't want people to just blaze through the game without a thought or a memory of certain areas, do you?
Or!
I say that, if you do go your way with the bushes that always drop health, spread them out in patches, having hazardous stretches with little health between each "safe-zone-type-checkpoint" place.

Well, that's just my opinion, anyway.