AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277397 times)

Offline mattness

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #420 on: July 13, 2007, 07:56:02 pm
Some nice videos of MP3 and SMG in action:
Metroid:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21690.html
Galaxy:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21649.html

Damn...

This is too much for the Old Game Boy generation...  :ouch:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 07:58:25 pm by mattness »
<<You chanted the Resurrection Spell. You've been revived in the Realm.>>

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #421 on: July 14, 2007, 12:54:33 pm

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #422 on: July 14, 2007, 03:17:51 pm
I think one of the reasons we don't want talking humans in a metroid game is that metroid games always immerse the player into the world by being just quiet; not explaining the logic of the world to samus/the player, but letting the player discover it for him/herself. That made the world believable in itself, the weird alien creatures, the sinister world, the moody music, it stayed with you all the time and never broke the mood.

Whereas humans, standing next to you, talking to you, is something very familiar. The only thing is that they're so familiar, we notice the smallest details and because of that, creating a believable human character is incredibly hard. In super metroid, the notion of a human world was simply given; there were pictures of scientists and that was it. The rest of humanity, we had to imagine for ourselves, and probably, we imagined them as the humans we are surrounded with, we never had to see them represented in the media in a way so that we could judge them; Hence they were believable.

Thus we had a believable alien world (the world was simply very alien and carried a strong mood; it was also eeriely quiet and large, containing puzzles of a certain logic; as you conquered the puzzles, you 'learned the language' of the world and started feeling at home with it. When you started to break sequences and just play around in it, you suddenly had become immersed in it. Thus, it felt believable.) and believable humans (either they stood still and looked fairly realistic, not BEHAVING, or they were dead. Realistic. People on photos look like people, check. Dead people don't move a lot, check. Realistic! The rest of humanity were not shown on pictures, so there we had to imagine them for ourselves, and we imagined them as real people because that's our natural reference for people. Realistic.) and we had the isolation from these humans, and we were satisfied, and we dubbed the experience of expreriencing this world 'the metroid feeling'.

Whereas a polygon model of a human, making simulated motions, perhaps well animated (I can only hope), SPEAKING to samus in english, can, and can not concieve a realistic representation of a human.

There are a lot of problems that can come up.

The model may not be detailed enough, perhaps the human person looks unrealistic in some way, his speech and animation may not be well synced, and thus we will not believe that this is a human. Even worse, maybe the voice actor has one of these texas accents, that'd put me off TOTALLY. Texas accent and 'metroid feeling' do not go together. I know that that's fucking nitpicky, but that's the thing about trying to represent humans in videogames. We get totally nitpicky about them.

And then I heard that there was this 'ice-man'-style icicle-riding alien chap bounty-hunter who was gliding around killing space pirates and dropping witty comments. I mean, WHAT IS THAT? Not even STAR TREK would have such an unbelievable character :( Is he going to be in the game? I hope he's killable. Super-powers and witty comments, NOT IN MAH METROID.

Oh my god I'm a ranting fan :((

Anyway, AdamAtomic, marry me, your thoughts about metroid are perfect, now let's make a fan-game of it or something.

EDIT: Having seen the steampunk world, it does not remind me a lot of metroid (if I had made it, I'd try to stuff a lot of other different moods into the game), but of MYST and games like that. And I REALLY like the design, it's immersive and nice. I think I will enjoy it. :]

But since I am a damn FANBOI I'll still not think it feels like METROID boohoo boohoo :]
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 03:26:47 pm by Jad »
' _ '

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #423 on: July 14, 2007, 04:45:56 pm
Well, I really don't care if the humans feel realistic to me or not, the real question is: Is it fun to play? For the recent 3D Metroid's, I gotta say it's mediocre(Just like Halo, srsly guys, it's nothing special), then again I mean everyone feels the need to go 3D since that is the big thing right now but just because it's 3D doesn't mean it's better, ya know? Hopefully someday 2D might come back into the scene(already has in a way, note Xbox Live Arcade and with Nintendo's Wii and you being able to buy old retro games).

Anyway, playing Blue Dragon as we speak, I've found some readability issues but man, great music and it just looks fantastic, gameplay is your average RPG with a bit of a twist, you can charge your attacks and set your characters to different character classes aswell as change the formation so if you don't want your healer getting hurt as much he would. Last night I was a bit angered at it, it was hurting the hell out of my eyes, because honestly it can be pretty hard to read, it has a light gray bg with white text when something is highlighted. One little nifty thing I just found is you can change your party leader, which is pretty neat, this whole game seems like the characters are completely customizable, you don't have to have so and so as the white mage like he was originally, etc.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #424 on: July 14, 2007, 05:16:09 pm
hahahahaha jad i will even be the bride!  i agree totally - biology, mystery, isolation, imagination!

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #425 on: July 14, 2007, 06:11:04 pm
Yesss, having the player active in all levels makes for a wholesome gaming experience. Atomic and Jad, you nailed how i feel about the whole metroid series, or a lot of good games in general. Some games seem to leave the player out of the equation, which leads to you being completely passive when you play. Then again, some people tend to feel left out when a game is somewhat vague or doesn't explain everything. Ico and Shadow of the colossus are good examples, cause different people see different things in the empty frame that the game left for the player to fill and some people don't see anything other than just the empty frame and a world filled with nothing. This goes for Metroid too, things that don't really need explaining, like the entire human world, are better left for the player to fill in. Then there's some things that give your imagination a bit of a nudge in some direction and you go on from there.

I figure this is why older people like having these things left for their imagination to figure out, since they've seen and experienced more things and have more pieces to complete a puzzle. Some things are hard to make better than what our brains can imagine for themselves. Like how a lot of times a monster you can't see is a lot scarier than something you know of.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #426 on: July 14, 2007, 06:39:55 pm
DA has a new Pixel art gallery director! Yay!  ;D 8)

http://pixeljoint.com/2007/07/13/2253/New_DA_Pixel_art_gallery_director.htm

deviantart and pixel-art are like fire and jam.  They dont mix, and when they do its just a fugly mess.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #427 on: July 15, 2007, 01:42:40 am
Adam, Jad. Ever been to the Metroid2002 forums? You'd fit in there. One of the only three forums I frequent nowdays. M2k2, halo.bungie.org and Pixelation.

You'd like it there. Some of us there think so highly of Echoze we spell it like that for reasons I'm unaware of. And some even refuse to acknowledge the existance of Metroid Fusion. Complete denial.

I have to say, I don't like where Corruption is going. Looks good, yes. Probably really fun. But every Metroid fan is striving for an atmosphere that no recent game has been able to deliver.

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #428 on: July 15, 2007, 09:06:08 am
DA has a new Pixel art gallery director! Yay!  ;D 8)

http://pixeljoint.com/2007/07/13/2253/New_DA_Pixel_art_gallery_director.htm

deviantart and pixel-art are like fire and jam.  They dont mix, and when they do its just a fugly mess.

Maybe you are right.. But every category contains lots of sh*t, commenters without respect and knowledge, people who do not know what they are talking about, and people who work 1 second on things and say its finished.. But also every category has alot of great pieces.. and those are the ones that make other people start making things as well... No1 will ever find pixelation or pixeljoint if they do not know what pixel art is.. even if they have alot of talent.. but deviant art, is just as for all forms of art, a great advertisement way.. A way alot new pixel artists get known with pixel art, and if they continue with it im shure they can find pixeljoint and pixelation etc.. as well..

I think deviantArt is a great way to advertise, and not much more.. for every form of art there are better communitys to find.. but on DA also non-artists join, maybe to just look at art, and maybe to become an artist :)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #429 on: July 15, 2007, 10:26:45 am
No offense against the creator of this piece, but in my opinion the fact that http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58578233/ was featured shows that nothing will change at deviantart (Especially if you look at the comments).
I agree with lollige that deviantart is an advertisement platfrom for artists. It doesn't help you in any way to get better.