AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277348 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #350 on: July 07, 2007, 11:29:23 pm
So instead of respecting other people's choices i'd have to go judging them for their irresponsibility?

Yes. That would obviously mean you're being irresponsible yourself, but at least then you wouldn't be lying to yourself about it.

In order for us to be rich, a whole lot of other people need to be piss poor.

This doesn't have to be like that forever, and it certainly doesn't have to get worse and worse. Even a little good is better than a little bad. I'm not saying we'll change the world, but at least we won't be lying to ourselves. If you live in a democratic society, you have choices to make, and yes most of the time they're between evil and less evil, but at least you wouldn't be a cynic, and you wouldn't be lying to yourself.

i know, but where do i draw the line when the choices are only in range from evil and very evil, with the added bonus choice of blowing things up.

You draw the line in that nebulous place where you can keep on living, and still live with yourself.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #351 on: July 08, 2007, 08:20:10 am
I kinda have to be lying to myself to some extent in order to live with myself. Of course i try and do something about it, like traveling only by foot/bicycle/bus, usually no lights on in the house, no air conditioning, very few new clothes purchases, absolutely not throwing things away etc etc.. But then again, i have my computer on a lot.

At times i envy some of my friends with main concerns relating to their car's bodykit instead of having a cloud of guilt hanging over. So then i go like shooo, indulge in something trivial, like why on earth zelda has brown hair instead of blonde in smash bros brawl. For the same reason i like activities that require concentration, like making art or playing games.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #352 on: July 08, 2007, 09:27:12 am
i find living is a lot easier if you don't care about anything.

Offline fawel

• View Profile

Reply #353 on: July 08, 2007, 11:28:56 am
i find living is a lot easier if you don't care about anything.

I'm not sure if that qualifies as living <_<;;

Wealth is created and destroyed all the time, do you really think that everything comes from an ultimate "zero?"

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #354 on: July 08, 2007, 12:11:54 pm
I kinda have to be lying to myself to some extent in order to live with myself.

yes, we all do. How much is the thing, what's the ratio? There's a world of difference between not being able to tell the truth, and being a fucking liar, man.

Feron: I'm sorry to hear that.

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #355 on: July 08, 2007, 01:12:44 pm

Wealth is created and destroyed all the time, do you really think that everything comes from an ultimate "zero?"

In the era of feudalism the amount of riches was thought to be a certain number, which didn't increase or decrease and all you could do was to try go gather as much from that pile to yourself as you can. But of course these days the whole capitalistic system is based on the fact that wealth can be used to generate more wealth. Buying stocks is a bit like betting.. you bet your money in a hope of ultimately receiving money that doesn't exist yet. If you bet well and are lucky, the excess money will be born and you profit from it as well. The whole world economy sort of works because of the illusionary money that doesn't exist yet but that soon will, if people just keep on betting.

Anyway.. the problem is of course how it's divided, not where it comes from. The solution that the capitalists often propose is that if a small number of people make a lot of money, eventually some of that money will also seep downwards to the poor people. However, that just doesn't seem to happen, especially when it comes to the issue of Western World vs. the Third World.

Games and other such products ( books, music, movies etc. ) are important because they make life worth living, escapism is needed from time to time, otherwise we'd be living in a world where working would be the one and only thing in life. You'd work all day, talk about work with your work mates during the lunch break from cradle to grave. Sometimes it seems though as if being constantly entertained had become the sole purpose of their life... which will certainly lead to excessive consuming and playing Starcraft until you drop dead. ;) 

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #356 on: July 08, 2007, 03:23:58 pm
I'm a big believer in the idea that if you give rich people more money, and poor people less money, that the poor people will not, in fact, get more rich.  This is based on the fact that rich people are usually rich because they like to keep and/or spend their money, which is why they are rich in the first place.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #357 on: July 08, 2007, 04:55:56 pm
Life is definitely a whole lot easier if you don't care about things like THIS. What the hedge are you guys on about?? I start to read the long posts, but then my eyes catch on fire!

Actually, not caring about anything could be interpreted as a rather zen way of living. Go sit under a tree and let your mind drift until you find something that matters, and stop caring about anything that isn't related to that. That's still living. In fact, I think they made a religion that started with something like that...

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #358 on: July 08, 2007, 05:06:21 pm
Anyone into emulation(for gaming, not programming) here? Mainly online stuff, i.e. kaillera etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 05:41:09 pm by bengoshia »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #359 on: July 08, 2007, 06:59:06 pm
Feron: I'm sorry to hear that.

why?, if you stop caring about politics, society, poverty, diversity, consumerism, communism, gaming emulation, animals, terrosim, other people, and the world in general then theres nothing to argue and worry about.  I find just doing what i want makes me happy so why should i give a fuck about anything else.