AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277316 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #90 on: June 16, 2007, 05:00:34 pm
Nah, Link would own him with the Mirror Shield, and the Master Sword would cut through that armour like a hot knife through butter.
Magic > Technology. Light Arrows for massive damage. :P

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #91 on: June 16, 2007, 05:33:58 pm
How about 'I could give a shit' / 'I don't give a shit'. DEMYSTIFY PLEASE

Mm-hmm. That translates to "I could care" / "I don't care" which can be remade into "I could care more" / "I couldn't care less"

Pshh, yeah, sure. MAYBE he would, but using technology from a thousand or two years in the future.
What? Hyrule doesn't exist on this planet. In this dimension, or universe. By Hylian counting, their civilization might be 5000 year old for all we know. In fact, it's possible that the year 2552 (when Halo takes place) is the equivalent of Hyrule's past!

But as always, "who would win" depends on who's the main character. If Link was the hero and fighting Master Chief, his shield would block bullets and light arrows would just generally annihilate technology and armor. Master Chief would also be a bulky, slow enemy who takes a full second to turn 180 degrees. If the MC was the main character, his armor piercing bullets would tear Link up, and a sword would just glide off his shield system, just like bullets reflect in-game. MC would run twice as fast, jump three times as high, and generally own the little magic fairy boy.

To even the playing field; In the real world, magic doesn't exist, forcefields don't exist, but bullets still tear through flesh. MC wins.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #92 on: June 16, 2007, 07:09:31 pm
Anyway, is anyone going to get Zelda DS as soon as it comes?
I'm kinda looking forward to it, though I wish you had d-pad control.
Yes.

I find it soooo freeeakkiinngg annoying when people put two characters against each other whose universes are so completely different from one another that the mere technology available in one could pwn the other. I mean, that's not even fair. Of course bullets > flesh, so MC would win in a couple shots. But I mean, how about like, the unicycle from Uniracers vs Sonic...! Samus vs MC is a pretty fair one, I think. How about Juno vs Jak? Link vs Simon Belmont?
I mean seriously, what's the point of pitting two characters like that against each other? That's like saying "who would win, a redwood or a chainsaw?" I mean, redwoods are badass and all, but the technological disparity leaves it defenseless!
So yeah, end rant.

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: June 16, 2007, 07:14:39 pm
@Rox: Guns don't kill people. Evil brains with masculine muscles, beer-induced mass mania, sexual prowess, of pure bones and flesh, with loose trigger fingers kill people...(and evil kittens who have mastered mind control, in the hopes of destroying those pose a threat to their well being)

@TakaM: I just read that thing about the creation museum. I must say: Wow. How do things like this even get funded? Not to start any religious quarrels, but I just can't fathom why people, especially large numbers here in America, choose to deny scientific theories, like Evolution with theology as their back up. The Bible has many holes in it, and has been changed to fit the current times. Yet some people still believe every word of it! Even the Catholic church have ADMITTED to certain hiccups of the bible (for example, the ordeal with the "Red sea" being parted, when a mistranslation showed it to be the "Reed Sea" which tends to shallow to walkable levels during certain parts of the year...).
   I'm not saying "don't believe in God, he's not real." Neither am I choosing whose religion is plausible, or even possibly acceptable. All of them have their quarks. I just wish every one would look past the obvious and realize that nearly all these ancient religions follow the basic rules of thumb: Don't kill, Don't steal, Don't lie, and the above all most important(in my opinion), Happiness.
   I believe in evolution, but I also believe that there is still some force or life form out there that gave not just us life, but everything else. It's name, in human translation, we'll just call "it" God. How it works, nobody knows. I just wish people were more open to increasing knowledge, rather than greed. Hell, even Einstein felt a closer curiosity to the mysteries of God, as he gained more knowledge in Scientific theories.(Not Scientology...Don't even get me started on that...ugh.) 
   My parents are very religious, as they came from a small, VERY poor village in Mexico, therein which good education was sparse. They always wished me to join them at church, but I just never felt the need. It wasn't my thing. However,one day they took off to some church retrieval (which I still don't agree with) for 3 days. When they came back, I greeted them at the door and I found my mother glowing; Not in the metaphorical sense, but LITERALLY glowing (not joking)!! I saw that she was so happy from the trip, that quite possibly, it released chemicals within her body causing her skin to illuminate. It was strange, but right then and there I realized that although I have a STRONG distrust for leaders, especially pushers of the faith, that maybe this whole religious thing ain't so bad after all. If this is what really made her happy, than why fuck it up. Let her be.

Happiness...find it, don't fuck it up, and never let anybody take it away from you....
my back hurts...

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #94 on: June 16, 2007, 07:58:58 pm
but I just can't fathom why people, especially large numbers here in America, choose to deny scientific theories, like Evolution with theology as their back up.

From Merriam-Webster's Online dictionary:
Main Entry: the·o·ry
Pronunciation: 'thE-&-rE, 'thir-E
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -ries
Etymology: Late Latin theoria, from Greek theOria, from theOrein
1 : the analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another
2 : abstract thought : SPECULATION
3 : the general or abstract principles of a body of fact, a science, or an art <music theory>
4 a : a belief, policy, or procedure proposed or followed as the basis of action <her method is based on the theory that all children want to learn> b : an ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances -- often used in the phrase in theory <in theory, we have always advocated freedom for all>
5 : a plausible or scientifically acceptable general principle or body of principles offered to explain phenomena <the wave theory of light>
6 a : a hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation b : an unproved assumption : CONJECTURE c : a body of theorems presenting a concise systematic view of a subject <theory of equations>
Science as I see it, is man's study and understanding of what God made. The thing with science is, every time we turn around a "theory" or something that scientists have seen as fact becomes proven wrong by other scientists. Science is not perfect and I believe alot of scientists are fools and have possibly unknowingly screwed up their studies.
One example of my belief about science is carbon dating. I don't believe it is anywhere near as accurate as scientists believe it is. I don't think that they factor in everything that has happened over the hundreds or thousands of years since the item they're trying to date was created. They probably don't think about all the effects whatever they're dating has gone through from weather changes to being exposed to a fire or certain chemicals.
This is just my opinion on carbon dating, but anyways there are just too many flaws in science. As hard as they may try and say that humans evolved from lower life forms, there is no way to prove it actually happened. If evolution had infact happened, don't you think the drawings on cave walls thousands of years ago might look a bit different? or that we would see other creatures evolving into higher life forms with a significant amount of intelligence?

Even the Catholic church have ADMITTED to certain hiccups of the bible (for example, the ordeal with the "Red sea" being parted, when a mistranslation showed it to be the "Reed Sea" which tends to shallow to walkable levels during certain parts of the year...).
I haven't read my Bible in a while, but didn't the sea end up swallowing up some of the Pharaoh's army that were chasing the Israelites?? Also, I don't believe it said that the water was "shallow".

Exodus 14:16  But lift up thy rod, and stretch out thine hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea.
King James Version

Thank you for making me pick up my Bible, it's been over a year since i read it. :)

I will not speak for the museum, I've never been there and I didn't read more than 3/4 of that story about it.

----------
Also, if we're going by Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Link has a cape/cloak that makes him invisible doesn't he? Then he could just sneak up on MC and get him when his guard is down.
Don't forget that Link also has bombs in his arsenal as well, so he can be just as deadly as MC if he played his cards right.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #95 on: June 16, 2007, 08:18:23 pm
Quote from Eddie Izzard “Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun).”

Religion's mostly good for giving ordinary people good reasons to live and rules to go by. I mean sometimes you can get to a vicious cycle where everything you do seems obsolete when you think about it hard enough, which leads to people getting depressed. It's like the bible has the mission objectives and rules for the game of life, while if you don't have any, you might go LOL WTF and idle in the internets for the rest of your life. But it is kind of funny how things get enforced with age. Like how bible is somehow more eligible cause it's old. Same goes for laws. There's a lot of laws today that are based on pretty darn old things but are twisted to fit the modern society. Then again the bible has been changed to be more convinient and some meanings have been re-interpreted to work better. Like how bible says women should shuddap in teh church and so forth, and now there's a problem of some male priests not acknowledging female priests. Also a lot of people have died in the name of religion, while the Bible tells you not to kill.

Still, religion is good, it (usually) makes people happy.

Snippa, i think having quite a few life forms between a human and an ape gradually changing from one end to the other is proof enough. As for carbon dating, just check the wikipedia article. It has things affecting it, and they are taken into account therefore needing calibration. Aaaand finally, evolution is slow, if you take a baby from 2000 years ago and raise in the modern society, i don't think you could tell it's a person from 2000 years ago.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #96 on: June 16, 2007, 08:31:55 pm
I don't trust science because I don't believe in constants (except for God). Everything changes (except for God). Period (except for God). Everytime someone says "that's impossible" or "that's illogical"...well, only because it would break the laws that you apply to everything, not the laws that actually are.

So pretty much, I don't believe in gravity...or at least gravity as we've come to see it. I think that every object has invisible arms that pull other things towards them, and bigger things have more and more muscular arms, which is why planets have more gravity than thumbs. And everything likes to spin, which is where orbits come from, and which is why spinning around 'til you're dizzy is always fun as a kid.

It especially bugs me when people say certain planets can't hold life.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #97 on: June 16, 2007, 08:51:08 pm
SNIPPA - your entire post is silly.  The colloquial or popular use of the word "theory" is VERY different from the scientific use of the word "theory".  When scientists use the word theory, they mean this:

"In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and a theory which explains why the apple behaves so is the general theory of relativity."

(from wikipedia)

Theories are constantly changing and improving as new EVIDENCE is discovered.  People who argue against the theory of evolution as a framework for understanding the world we live in usually fail to understand that the only reason this theory still stands is that currently there is no contradictory evidence available to augment or improve the theory in a major way.

Science and religion CAN co-exist.  Both Newton and Einstein were deeply religious men who believed that science was a tool that God gave to men in order to help understand His creation.

Real science rarely describes anything as impossible.  There is only improbability; after all, that's what quantum mechanics is all about!

EDIT - Tangential to this is a language thing.  You say "your belief about carbon dating," while scientists say "the evidence we have observed about carbon dating."  Do you see how one of these could be construed as being completely arbitrary?  Use the tools at your disposal to help understand your world!  So what if the world is actually a few billion years old, according to the evidence?  God could have manipulated that evidence to help us learn.  And on top of that, the IMPORTANT stuff in the bible has NOTHING to do with claims of the earth's youth.  Is that the most important thing you can find in there?  Is all the stuff about caring for other people and living a good life suddenly invalidated because a 2000 yr old document has some weird translation errors?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 08:55:23 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: June 16, 2007, 09:02:06 pm
Meh, just because someone can draw a picture of an ape and then modify it a little bit, copy that, modify it some more, rinse and repeat doesn't mean that it actually happened. It's a theory and that's it, it doesn't make it proof. I have not seen any real skeletons that show proof of evolution, then again... even if i did, I wouldn't have the education to study the skeleton(s) thoroughly and say that they are indeed not related to humans.
As we have seen in the present day, pretty much anywhere you look, there are people that have been born with birth defects, it is very possible that if archaeologists found a skeleton that scientists deemed to be a stage in the human evolutionary scale, that that person just had a birth defect of some sort.

Yeah, according to theories of evolution, it may be an extremely slow process, but also according to scientists, earth has been around for billions of years... and yet, there is no evidence of any other species on this planet of ever evolving anywhere near where we are at in life today. You would think being that earth is that old, that there would have been at least one other race of sentient beings that have lived here before us, or that during our evolution we would have encountered species of animals on our planet evolving to a point of sentience.

If there were sentient beings that evolved here on earth before us, there would be evidence of their presence. There is none.
Also, if we evolved from apes... why are apes still around? Why haven't the rest of them evolved along side us? Why don't we see evidence of apes evolving since we've started recording history? Did apes just stop evolving after the first few completely evolved into what we are today?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #99 on: June 16, 2007, 09:17:13 pm
Well, the study of evolution is basically that; pictures of apes that were copy-pasted in photoshop.  It certainly wasn't a century of research done all over the world by thousands of scientists; and even if it were, that's pretty easy to discard.  After all, they did all their learning from books, and observing the natural world.  We just can't trust these people!  :huh:

This is my last word on this "debate:"

You can accept that evolution (and all of science) can provide a useful framework for understanding our world based on available evidence, without ever believing that the events (such as evolution or the big bang) actually happened.

Science is a simple system of hypotheses and evidence.  It is NOT a belief system.  It does not challenge your precious Bible.  You can choose not to believe in Science, but you must then very seriously consider if you also believe in Math, or Logic in general.

If you see useful models as an affront to your religious beliefs, you are going to have a hard time getting through this life.  And if you need proof of your beliefs, then you are believing for all the wrong reasons.