AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277432 times)

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #60 on: June 16, 2007, 04:22:50 am
A one liner is uberfast.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: June 16, 2007, 04:28:46 am
I CAN'T WAIT FOR LOST SEASON 4

Augh, I hate that cliffhanger. THERE WERE UNRESOLVED ISSUES, WHY'D THEY GO AND DO THAT!?
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #62 on: June 16, 2007, 04:32:28 am
Anyone keep track of The Sopranos? Speculations?

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #63 on: June 16, 2007, 04:35:59 am
I CAN'T WAIT FOR LOST SEASON 4
the ending of season 3 was so good it was almost worth sticking through season 3... but if the first episode of season 4 is anything like season 3, I'm cutting it off like a diseased hand :mean:

and, I'm facing a bit of a dilemma, my friend and I almost have the second Twinsen demo prepared, and if all continues to go smoothly, we should have everything finished within the next few days, except for one thing
customizable keys..
The default set up on Twinsen got a few complaints, and most were happy to see we planned to have customizable keys, I told everyone to expect them a reality in the next demo, but they just aren't done yet.
to make matters worse, my coder is leaving for about a week, and he will not be able to get them done before he goes, so we either release the demo without customizable keys, people deal with the default keys, and we deal with the complaints.
or we hold it back another week or so and save one less complaint for us to deal with.

For me, the choice is obvious, to hold it an extra week and allow custom keys.. but there are some people that wouldn't care if it gave them cancer, they just want it now.. :-\
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #64 on: June 16, 2007, 04:38:39 am
I disagree about having to give the good with the bad.  Sometimes there is no good.  But giving the bad, and giving pointers and clear, sensible advice about how to approach the problems with your artwork is what this board SHOULD be all about, ESPECIALLY for beginners.  You can be firm and some might say "harsh" without EVER being rude or condescending.  There is a not-so-fine line between pointing out the things you need to fix, and breaking rule #1.  Our job is to try and reign in the folks that try to cross it.

Criticism should not make fun of or berate the artwork or more importantly the artist.
Advice should not be condescending.
Above all, guidance should always be given; the most constructive criticism you can give is a suggestion.
NEVER tell someone that they should stop working on their art.
NEVER tell someone that they can't be good enough.

As I said, it's not a very fine line.  It's about 3 feet wide, and painted in day-glo yellow, and covered with sirens and reflective tape.

@Takam: Wait!!  But don't wait forever - set a firm list of the features you want and stick to it, but DON'T go over!  Can't wait to see it in action :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #65 on: June 16, 2007, 04:45:10 am
I never discouraged beginning members by saying they should stop working on their art did I? Which line did I cross? I was just blunt now and then, but the message was never condescending...

Also, there is no doubt that I have in fact given TONS of really nice and good advice too...

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: June 16, 2007, 04:45:49 am
Takam: has the gameplay smoothened out over the past few months? I haven't been keeping track of Twinsen, but from the gif you posted of the gameplay, it appears more friendly. I could not get a grip on the controls for the life of me when the first playable demo was released. Also, I fancy myself a GML linguist, and if you really want, i would be more than happy to lend a helping hand if you are that anxious to get a demo out this week with customizable controls (even though it is not that crucial of an aspect).  However, it's more likely that your programmer doesn't want me botching his scripts, which is of course reasonable. GML isn't hard to pick up, i'd dare to say you'd probably be able to figure out the basic premise for implementing customizable keys in a day or two if you lurked in the right places over at the game maker community forums.

Lookin' forward to it. :)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #67 on: June 16, 2007, 05:20:04 am
PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE.

The correct connotation is "Could care less."

No it's not.  Read your Strunk and White.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #68 on: June 16, 2007, 06:40:21 am
Any who, Xion I've seen some leaked photos of Heath Ledger as Joker...They look aight, I guess, but I'm more afraid as how he'll portray him...(gonna' be tuff to beat that staple of a job, by Jack Nicholson...)
From what I heard, the guy knows (or knew) absolutely nothing about the Joker, never saw the first batman movie, never read the comics.
It's amazing that he got the job. Jack was perfect as the Joker imo.

@.TakaM:
It wouldn't hurt to postpone the demo a week. Take a look at Blizzard, they postpone releases of pretty much anything to make sure that they release a quality product.
Whether it's a minor patch, major patch, beta, expansion, or a first release.
If you can get those custom keys set up quickly once your coder gets back, then it shouldn't hurt.
I would say to talk with him and figure out how long he thinks it will take to set them up. If it is going to take too long then go ahead and release the demo and then update it whenever the custom keys are done.

@Stwelin: I thought I heard the series was over? *shrug* I don't really pay attention to the Sopranos, never watched it.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #69 on: June 16, 2007, 07:11:49 am
Takam: has the gameplay smoothened out over the past few months? I haven't been keeping track of Twinsen, but from the gif you posted of the gameplay, it appears more friendly. I could not get a grip on the controls for the life of me when the first playable demo was released. Also, I fancy myself a GML linguist, and if you really want, i would be more than happy to lend a helping hand if you are that anxious to get a demo out this week with customizable controls (even though it is not that crucial of an aspect).  However, it's more likely that your programmer doesn't want me botching his scripts, which is of course reasonable. GML isn't hard to pick up, i'd dare to say you'd probably be able to figure out the basic premise for implementing customizable keys in a day or two if you lurked in the right places over at the game maker community forums.

Lookin' forward to it. :)
I like to think it's been smoothened out, the controls are more versatile, but its a bit hard for me to gauge as I've mastered every reiteration of the controls :P
plus I use a nice old snes controller with joy2key :-*

thanks guys, I feel confident in delaying it a week now, I was gonna check if a friend of mine could do the custom keys while he's away, but he said he wouldn't have figured out the coding before he gets back anyways :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise