AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 280121 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #50 on: June 16, 2007, 03:16:45 am
No more legos!
Uh...Uh...

How 'bout that new Batman movie?

Offline Mori

• Gao!
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: June 16, 2007, 03:19:02 am
ITT: Drama.

So, what part of "private message" does the P not relate to in 'PM'?  I think that's kind of rude, especially considering the only purpose it can possibly serve is to personally attack him in the public and attempt to further discredit. Personal attacks like this are better off remaining in /private/ messages.

Gil's a good guy. He can be pretty harsh at times and isn't one to mince words, which can lead to some misunderstandings of the nature of his messages, but to go to this extent and oust him because he's "being mean"? I thought the #1 rule of Pixelation was: "Don't be an ass". Flame threads such as this do nothing but show the asinine nature of all involved (yes, myself included, as I'm further enticing the thread (though hoping for a conclusion sooner than later)).

What may be the best for this thread is a lock and warning from a neutral moderator saying anything further should be taken up in PM. Warnings should be issued to those that have attacked others.

Although I guess some mods might be upset that someone without any moderator privileges would dare to give an honest and hopefully-unbiased disclosure idea...
Hey, #pixelation is still around on irc.sorcery.net. So point your favorite IRC client that way and hang a while.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 16, 2007, 03:24:13 am
I CAN'T WAIT FOR LOST SEASON 4

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 16, 2007, 03:34:51 am
Panda recently explained to me the purpose of Pixelation. Its to help newcomers improve. But …..

Some people post such crappy art. Nice people try really hard to improve it. Some people have trouble actually seeing what is wrong with their stuff and don’t use the edits. And it just goes on and on …

I hope people understand what kind of threads I’m talking about. In the end someone says the obvious thing: you need to practice drawing a lot to improve, critique is a waste of time. What, then, is the point in encouraging young newcomers? If it’s going to take them years improving on their own, why not discourage them from posting?

My brother was the opposite of faceless, he was like, ‘this is shit, look how big his head is, he looks retarded!’. It might not be the hippie love type message faceless and Panda like but at least I knew why things looked bad so I could improve.

Gil should be given moderator status. Gil then would be above the rules. There is an imaginary line of quality and Gil could enforce it. Otherwise you will get a lot of people posting crap and then critiquing other peoples crap and saying “you need to try dithering cos I read it somewhere” even though that wouldn’t help at all.

Take Chigasm’s thread. There was a pyramid. Then a hotel with an aquarium. Then a necomer posted a piece of art he made: a pyramid hotel filled with water. IT’S THE BLIND LEADING THE BLIND I TELL YOU!
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 03:55:05 am
There is constructive criticism and there is being an ass, and as you know, rule #1 is "don't be an ass."  The behavior you're describing, regardless of whether or not you personally approve of it, is ass behavior, and is the single most important, and most explicit reason there are moderators here.  Thank you for proving our existence worthwhile!

As for giving Gil moderator status...I hope you were being sarcastic.  I really do!

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 04:00:32 am
Jesus craps, you guys. OOTT was my spot here. Looks like it's already headed for a rotten start. I'm not sure who's to blame, so I'll just say..." This ain't my fight..." and walk away.

Any who, Xion I've seen some leaked photos of Heath Ledger as Joker...They look aight, I guess, but I'm more afraid as how he'll portray him...(gonna' be tuff to beat that staple of a job, by Jack Nicholson...)
my back hurts...

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 04:07:08 am

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 04:11:27 am
Jack as Joker is gonna be very hard to trump, true. I can't think of any actor that would fit the role any better of the bat... I think Jack's actual personality just fits the character so well.

Oh, and what's the deal with the Wachowski bros. doing a Speed Racer remake?

--edit: pyramid hotels inside aquariums should be the theme for the next pixeljoint challenge.

Offline Zolthorg

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 04:12:27 am
wasnt there some "i believe in harvey dent too" site that had a picture?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #59 on: June 16, 2007, 04:13:03 am
We all sucked ass at one point or another, in something, and there were people who were willing to not only tell us how to get better, but encourage us to do so. It's kind of like, natural, to reciprocate that to others who suck ass at something we're better than them at. Don't tell someone what to do better and then scare them away from doing it. That's like saying "you need to fix the plumbing, but really, just get the f**k out of the house."

If someone isn't that good at pixelling, they should feel like they've come to the right place to remedy that. If they don't take the crits being given, then just leave 'em alone, if you like.

In the old FAQ, wasn't there something that said when giving crits try to point out what you like along with what you dislike. So give the good with the bad, as sort of a buffer to discourage discouragement that may have been brought on by the actual crits. At least I think it said something like that.

But w/e.

Yeah, B.O.B, I was thinking that too.

Zolthrrrggg:
Es perfecto!

Damn, how fast do you peeps type?