AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 279974 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #820 on: September 10, 2007, 05:52:07 pm
We are not talking about structure, order and society, we are talking about the natural human sexual tendency.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #821 on: September 10, 2007, 07:05:22 pm
you bring up a good point, i say bisexual because it refers to the notion of going with either human gender, but in a lot of ways I suppose that this is an arbitrary distinction set down also by society and that man in his nature state would most likely fail to discern the various methods of pleasure, not limited just to "legitimate" sex with another person....

there are some biological things working though; wild things all appear attracted to themselves above other things?  More likely to explore with a fellow of either closest similarity (another of the same sex) or one that complements (one of the opposite gender) ?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

sonic_reaper

Reply #822 on: September 10, 2007, 07:31:15 pm
We are not talking about structure, order and society, we are talking about the natural human sexual tendency.

Are you saying as a moderator we can't or that I am mistaken?  But what I was talking about ties in directly with that.  If you remove language, culture, self-awareness, and so on, man would still have a sexual attraction, heterosexual, homosexual or both.  They simply wouldn't categorize themselves as such, which you and I've already touched on.  And it's difficult to say with fact what you are stating, sincce this is something that would need to be observed.  Man wouldn't discern or categorize and label the various methods of pleasure, however, he would certainly be alligned to a certain sex (an orientation or preference if you will, however, I try to avoid the latter word as it implies some sort of thought, reason and logic).

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #823 on: September 10, 2007, 07:43:00 pm
why would he be so?  One would not necessarily enjoy sex with A over sex with B in the same way that he would not necessarily enjoy food A to food B, and certainly enjoying one thing would not render his taste so that it was exclusive of others.
A mistake is a mistake.

sonic_reaper

Reply #824 on: September 10, 2007, 08:22:36 pm
why would he be so?  One would not necessarily enjoy sex with A over sex with B in the same way that he would not necessarily enjoy food A to food B, and certainly enjoying one thing would not render his taste so that it was exclusive of others.

... what?

You don't seem to understand quite what I am saying.  It would not be exclusive, however, there would certainly be an attraction to one particular sex (as I've noted, homosexual or heterosexual, or both).  Without language, society, culture, and so on, people would have no way to classify themselves as a certain way, and there would thus be no prejudice, or discrimation against people considered different (as this concept would not even exist).  But we're talking about a laissez-faire kind of world where anything goes making it difficult to theorize exactly what would happen.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 08:50:44 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #825 on: September 10, 2007, 09:44:22 pm
Are you saying as a moderator we can't or that I am mistaken?

Yes you are mistaken! Why would I say what we can't and can talk about? I was underlining that the original topic was the natural human disposition towards sex, not the unnatural, societally programmed disposition towards sex. If you want to talk about the latter, initiate the conversation clearly about it, don't segue from A to B like that :)

But what I was talking about ties in directly with that.  If you remove language, culture, self-awareness, and so on, man would still have a sexual attraction, heterosexual, homosexual or both.  They simply wouldn't categorize themselves as such, which you and I've already touched on.  And it's difficult to say with fact what you are stating, sincce this is something that would need to be observed.  Man wouldn't discern or categorize and label the various methods of pleasure, however, he would certainly be alligned to a certain sex (an orientation or preference if you will, however, I try to avoid the latter word as it implies some sort of thought, reason and logic).

I believe there is a heterosexual orientation in humankind, as with most species, yes, if that's what you're getting at. I started talking about this subject mostly out of resentment towards the 'humans are bisexual by nature' soundbite which I've found (as I've explained) presupposes much more than it explains.

Because we're here to make babies. Primary directives and all.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #826 on: September 10, 2007, 10:06:05 pm
You guys are totally confusing me. But I do believe the topic somehow bent itself into the nature of states of sexuality. Or any other combination of big words that make me sound like a scientist.

Here's what I think: All creatures are heterosexual, if such a requirement exists (some species are lucky enough that they can do anything with anyone and still have offspring). However, sexual PREFERENCE is a psychological thing. Anyone can turn from anything to anything else given the correct circumstances. That's the crazyness of the mind that I've come to learn pretty recently. The more you're exposed to something, the more you accept it, even if you don't want to accept it. It's like when you hear that stupid goddamn pop song on the radio over and over and it makes you want to poke your eardrums out, but later the same day you find yourself humming it. In a similar way, it is actually possible to suddenly find yourself accepting a preference or fetish or whatever, that you thought you hated by nature. Turns out it's not nature's call, it's psychology. I do believe that might be able to stretch as far as to the very basics of sexuality; whether you're into guys or gals. And, of course, if something happens at a very early age, it's more probable that it'll stick. It's pretty rare for someone to spontaneously flip directions mid-life. But I do believe it can happen, and maybe even by conscious choice, although it's not something I'd like to research further...

Anyway, discrimination? Hating gays? I touched upon that. If you let yourself, you become more tolerant of the concept the more you expose yourself to it. Many people are scared of things like that, though, and don't want to accept it because they think they hate it by nature. I've reacted like that to weird fetishes some of my online friends have been stupid enough to introduce me to. I don't mind them now. Part of me wishes I could go back to hating it, because it's THAT weird, but it's too late now. I accept that stuff. And the more stuff I find myself accepting, the less freaked out I am by any eventual other stuff that I haven't yet been exposed to. I guess that's how crazy fetishes grow... The more you're into them, the easier it is to accept even weirder stuff...

Anyway. I'd consider myself openly bisexual (feel free to disagree about the "open" part though), and I know I haven't always been. It's cute to think that people are born completely neutral, able to go any way right from the start, but I don't think that happens. It is, however, very easy to start to see ounces of truth in what other people say and think. Then, some time later, you suddenly find you've gradually come to accept the sexiness of people in general, even if they're the same gender as you. That's pretty much how it happened to me. I can't remember the first time I accepted what was going on, but I wasn't THAT young. It's quite possible it started much sooner than I can even remember, though... I dunno.

Anyway, living creatures are born with the correct settings to reproduce. Occationally, some animal will make some weird choice that doesn't help at all, but then it's probably just for the fun of it or.. whatever... god, I'm finding it harder to form coherent sentences the more I type... Time for sleep...

WARNING! While I was typing a new reply has been posted! ... Eh, I'll read that tomorrow.

[edit] Oh holy crap, text...! How do I type that much and not remember what I typed afterward?! ... Sleep time! [/edit]

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #827 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:35 pm
yes, there probably is something in there to drive reproduction...

i believe though that human being naturally enjoy sex nearly as much as they enjoy emotional intimacy and they'll find what of those they need from anywhere

I suppose though it's a little irrelevant to have spoken about man outside society as two people are required and two create almost as many issues as millions with regard to conformity and insecurity etc...
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #828 on: September 11, 2007, 12:08:04 am
I do agree that men and women will seek intimacy and stress-relief in same-gender relationships just as male chimps will pick the ticks off of the fur of other male chimps and so on. Touch is a stress-relief, flesh warmth is a stress-relief, so on.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #829 on: September 11, 2007, 01:12:03 am
Life without knowledge is death in disguise