AuthorTopic: Official Off-Topic Thread  (Read 277402 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Official Off-Topic Thread

Reply #30 on: June 15, 2007, 05:46:09 pm
You didn't see the shitload of PMs I sent and received from all the mods Adarias, I'm sick of the drama.

BTW:

Well, if you have anything against how this have been set up, don't vote at all, I couldn't care the less.

Posts like this deserve a strike too if you follow the rules the way you apply them to me...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:50:33 pm by Gil »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 05:52:36 pm
First of all, I don't really care enough about you to try and go find every reason I can to ban you. At times your behaviour makes me think otherwise, but I can control myself.
What I simply don't want is you to act like an ass.
You had enough already, so any minimal jerky act could cost you a strike. Why? because you went too far already.
Yes I saw you tried to change, and I'm happy for that. But all I did this time was warn you.
But heh, if you wanna leave, I'm not stopping you.

Also about that post, I thought I explained what I meant, but ah well. If it makes you feel happy feel free to pick on it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 05:55:43 pm by Panda »

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 05:58:04 pm
Panda made sure of that, no one else to thank for this one.

Shouldn't mods be welcolming members not driving them away.  Losing gil is like losing a limb, he's been here longer than practically all the other members, and i think its wrong that he's been targetted with strikes and postal deletion.  Gil quite obviously cares about this community and pushing him away because certain people mis-interpret his posts is quite frankly a load of shit.

Quote from: Panda
One more time and I'm taking you down
Wow, aren't you the big man with all the power.

Bye bye Pixelation, I loved being here.
most of us loved you to kill, unfortunatley there are some that don't.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 06:07:09 pm
Peace, man. I ain't got no beef, but if leaves are in order, take care.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 06:16:32 pm
Shiiit, drama, here?
This certainly doesn't bode well.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 06:28:41 pm
well obviously i am biased but I think the mods do a good job of welcoming members.  however, in gil's case, he has taken it upon himself to NOT welcome members kindly, and in such a manner that he appears to be speaking FOR the moderators.  he has received many, many warnings about this.  rudeness (especially unjustified) is not particularly tolerated on this board in general, but doing it in a way that appears to be official is gonna piss the mods off more than it would otherwise, because new members will likely not be able to tell that the message is not coming from the actual leadership.  For example:

"This picture is terrible; you need to go back to the basics and do a lot of thinking and studying and practicing before you'll be able to advance."

Not terribly polite, and a bit presumptuous, but hey in a lot of cases its probably right, and a member will probably not get a warning for saying this in the right circumstances.  However, this:

"This picture is awful.  Thanks for wasting our time; don't bother posting here until you've gone back to the basics."

EDIT - this is not a real post by gil, just an example of the tone of many of his posts that have resulted in deletions and warnings via PM

Thanks for wasting "our" time?  It seems like a small thing, but stuff like this, to a new poster, can be a real turnoff, and make them think this is an elitist community of already-awesome pixelers, rather than a place that can help provide inspiration and information for aspiring artists at any skill level (like myself - when I came here a year or two ago I was baaaaaad).  You will never see a moderator post something like this, and when members post things like this, that appear to the average newbie to possibly be of some official capacity...well that can earn you a warning pretty easily.  And in gil's case things like this have been going on for a year, with little improvement in attitude, despite some improvement in actual post content.

Long story short, making counterproductive posts that step on the mods' toes is not going to endear you to anyone here, especially when its on a regular basis for months on end.  Giving those mods attitude every time they call you out for being an ass is probably not going to help anything either.  Being an ass and having an attitude is likely going to color mods' perceptions of your posts as well; I don't see how it can't.  So I don't know what the problem and the surprise are here.

If you feel the need to leave, AND to make a scene about leaving in the hopes that it will inspire some kind of reactionary revolution...cuz that happens all the time on the internets...well, you do what you have to in order to feel better.  But don't you think if this was a problem with the mods, there would be more users being subjected to the same treatment?  Or is this all a big conspiracy?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 06:32:55 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 06:58:11 pm
Panda made sure of that, no one else to thank for this one.

Shouldn't mods be welcolming members not driving them away.  Losing gil is like losing a limb, he's been here longer than practically all the other members, and i think its wrong that he's been targetted with strikes and postal deletion.  Gil quite obviously cares about this community and pushing him away because certain people mis-interpret his posts is quite frankly a load of shit.

Quote from: Panda
One more time and I'm taking you down
Wow, aren't you the big man with all the power.

Bye bye Pixelation, I loved being here.
most of us loved you to kill, unfortunatley there are some that don't.

Losing Gil is like losing a limb? For you I guess.
He has not been targeted with warnings and strikes because we wanted, but he earned them himself (why waste my free time?). What makes him so superior to other members that he can go without any warning after being an ass?
I think we haven't been strict at all, as it hasn't been a single post strike thing, but something that has been building up for quite a long time, he has crossed the line too many times. Then again you wouldn't know as we have been keeping this place as clean as we could, but whatever.
Today I simply warned him since he was posting something of a jerky nature, because next time he acted like an ass he would get another strike and get banned, yet he decided to turn everything into a drama (why would I turn anything into a drama myself? again, to waste my free time?) and started telling me about my GRAND job and how he has posted 20times more critique than me (forgetting how he has been an ass for about the same amount).

About welcoming members, I don't think I have acted like Gil in that duty. I haven't acted like an ass for no reason at all. I've been treating new comers and old members alike.
And you would have loved him to kill? Now isn't that ironic after the statement before? This place is not about owning anyone, it is about helping and improving.

But anyway, since he is leaving on his own, why keep talking about it.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 07:11:21 pm by Panda »

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: June 15, 2007, 07:06:45 pm
Is it just me, or does this "dramatic leaving of a fairly prominent member after some random drama with the moderation" thing seem to happen on a regular basis around here?  Not pointing any blame at one party or the other, but every time it seems stupid.  Of course, the dramatically left members tend to end up coming back after a several-month hiatus, though their returns frequently end dramatically again.  Ah, well.  Some people seem to like being the center of drama.  Not my cup of tea, but whatever floats your boat.

On a more off topic: badly written sentences are funny!  http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/  http://adamcadre.ac/lyttle.html
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Snippa

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: June 15, 2007, 07:28:36 pm
man, playing mario kart ds can be killer on the eyes >.<
as if it wasn't bad enough that things look blurry 5 feet away from me without my glasses, when I play mkds things on my monitor look blurry  :yell:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 07:53:39 pm
Gil is one of those people who has always been on the edge, and i don't think it's too far off to say that he sort of enjoyed it there, or, at the very least, strove little to be anywhere else, (apologies and explanations aplenty will stop you from being banned, yes, but then, avoiding the situation entirely is perhaps a better way to go).

Drama happens, particularly when i think the majority of us are between 15 and 25.  I've butted heads with a couple of people over matters which are not always as significant in reality as they might have seemed at the time.  To my knowledge, these have been sorted out and smoothed (unless theres anyone out there hiding a grudge :P). 

My point is, infrequent headbuttings and misunderstandings are not a reason to have someone forcefully removed......but highly frequent headbuttings might be.  Still, I'm no scholar of gil's or panda's activities, i couldn't really tell you who might have brought it about.

Gil - i think it's a shame that you feel pressured to leave, and i think it's a shame that you should actually would go about actually leaving.

BTW, what other prominent members leave in a huff?  I know that people have made a fuss, but their visits are often short (and their contributions underwhelming).  It's a rare occurrence, i think, for someone with a number of years and a good head on their shoulders to leave the place (it's sort of a place...?) all pissed off.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.