AuthorTopic: [WIP] Game Graphics  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Zee

• I wish I could have an avatar.
    • View Profile

[WIP] Game Graphics

on: June 13, 2007, 01:46:51 pm
For starters, I am having a dark background, and I need the blocks to pop out [almost 3D] and I need help with getting more information into my character. [The green guy]

This is a cut from an ingame screenshot. For starters, I am more then willing to add colors and shades to the character, and I am open to suggestions of the block. Although, if I may request it, I'd like to keep that perspective, since I've already built the engine. But if it's absolutely needed, I'll change the perspective. The graphics are base 42x42.

I want to thank you for your help on my other topic, the maggot boss has actually gone quite well [I'd upload the picture, but I'm at work].
These are clearly not the final graphics but merely placeholder graphics. I've given myself until the end of August to perfect these graphics [most of that time will go towards level design].

If any of you have any images of runestones, or any old carved rocks, I'd like to see if you can get me something more exotic then the google/wikipedia fare. As for the character, he's just wearing puffy pants, a la Prince of Persia/Aladdin 16-bit style. And yes, I know this is a gunstar edit [I did make the editing myself, I'd know] and it's only temporary until I finish my good quality versions.

So, edits, suggestions, improvements, all that jazz. I'd like to see where I should start making this guy anew.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 02:17:38 pm by Zee »

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Game Graphics

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 03:40:08 pm
For starters, I am more then willing to add colors and shades to the character, and I am open to suggestions of the block.
Im suggesting shades for the block, a bit hue shifting, details.
And I guess green is not supposed to be the final colour since you mentioned "puffy" pants (which I imagine white or beige instead of neongreen), but I don't really understand why you dont continue and add better colours and more shades and stuff like that. Seems like you worked for half an hour and ran out of motivation. I don't see any problem with these pretty basic grafics so go ahead and continue on adding the things you've already mentioned yourself :)

Slightly OT: what do you mean by "For starters"?

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 05:28:46 pm
Sorry, I was writing that at two different times [I had to go and hunt down where the image was saved. Excuse the redundancy.

Actually, I don't mind the green, he's been green in the prior forms [of course, he was a block in the first form, and a gumby-type the second time]

I'll get cracking after work, just curious if you had suggestions. I want to put a rune/aztec carving style on the blocks, and I was hoping somebody would have something more exotic. Hieroglyphs too. I'm really scatterbrained right now. Haha

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:14:33 pm
Hmm, now that I think about this, the only truely logical thing I did was up the contrast on the guy and make the side of the block darker.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 01:55:39 pm

Alright. Took the suggestion for the block and I hope the 'rune' didn't mess it up too much. I know I'm using more colors, but for this game, I have no qualms with doing just that. I tried adding a light-source to the character [in addition to pants] And I guess I got the basic idea, and I'm really loving the shape he's got... it's just so simple and easy to work with. I blue-d up his green a skotch, and gave him shoes, pretty simple changes there.

Alright, so hit me with some C&C folks!

Offline mangust

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:06:00 am
Look more on Sherman Gill edit. The top of box, on his edit, a more lighten (5 colors too) and persons more contrast (more readability) - it's good. Maybe think now about bg? On your edit light on top box is not enough, maybe just remove on top some pixels and added on side box, or like a Gill do, just on top another color.
Nice  :y:

Offline Zee

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 07:10:30 pm
I fixed the graphics up on the block. Now the top panel is the brightest.

Also, yesterday I made this thing: Just to break up the monotony.