AuthorTopic: Sneak! Snake!  (Read 6349 times)

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Sneak! Snake!

on: June 11, 2007, 06:58:25 am

I would like to hear your (yes, your!) thoughts on this little sprite I made. It's supposed to be Solid Snake from the Metal Gear Solid series of video games.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Sneak! Snake!

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:51:45 am
black outline does not help, darkest shade needs to be a bit darker, bandana needs to be 2 pixels thick (no space between bandana and eyes, that's trademark)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline piotrek255

• take it easy -_-
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 01:36:40 pm
i would modify his stance a bit, to something more like this:

shades on his right shoulder seem to dark, i would go for a transition from the outline (dark grey) to his chest (your darkest shade)

my way of the pixel? -> minimum effort, maximum quality 0_0

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 02:01:33 pm
I can't even see his right shoulder...  Plus the stance is supposed to be sneaky, not "bold-snake-fighting-stance".

i like it , without the outlines is best.  His right hand seems to blocky though,  use the dark skin shade to smooth it.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 03:23:12 pm
I like it. I do read "sneaky" well from his pose. And you gave him the characteristic Snake hunchback :)

The saturated background does drown the subtle coloring.
The chest area could have a bit more detail, you have some room there, and the dark area at chest area could also be used to add detail. I mention detail since while being blocky in style, you added some subtle detail on the legs, but the arms and chest don't follow this.
Snake's uniform from the first Metal Gear is more blueish than greenish.
I actually prefer the outlined version, which i usually don't.

Do what you like :)

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:54:35 am

I found an image of Solid Snake in the original Metal Gear Solid video game and so worked a bit off of that image.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:19:05 am
Overall I like it, but I'm not sure if the pose is very sneaky-looking.

Anyway, I made a few small edits to make it look more like Snake:

Sorry, I'm just a fanboy who couldn't resist

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:35:43 am
He's clean shaven in the first Metal Gear Solid video game. In the Playstation version at least, he seems to have rather combed hair.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 08:17:22 am
Hm, I dunno what to say about this piece.  I like it a lot, but ulitmately it seems pretty simple, and I think you are aware of that.  And that's fine, I think that's an aesthetic choice (I really like this sort of minimalism), but I don't have much to say because it seems to me if you wanted to take this further you'd know what to do (at least with this newest version, it's a great improvement).

Perhaps there should be more contrast between the two lighter blue shades.  I don't like the hair, it seems a little too domey?  I'm not sure how to get across a combed look without making it look like a dome, though.  Also, maybe his left leg should be a little darker to put it closer to the plane that his left arm is at.  His leg pops out a little too much in comparision.

Looking at it more closely, there's that intermediary shade of grey that's not very noticible that produces a blurry effect that I don't like.

Offline JWW

• One unbroken chain
    • View Profile
    • IamJakeWW

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:52:30 pm

I found an image of Solid Snake in the original Metal Gear Solid video game and so worked a bit off of that image.
I like this sprite very much, it looks much better with black outlines.  My only problem is your lightest blue.  I don't think there is enough contrast between that colour and the one darker than it.